Anybody here have info about Apple products?

dahlia

I hate Apple with a passion. I don't believe in bringing politics into the classroom, but I admit to railing against Apple when I taught policy (I'm in a 'STEM lite' field with a lot of geeks, so we'd have these conversations).

However, years ago I was talked into buying an iPod. I love my little iPod, but it dawned on me that the battery isn't going to last forever  - and apparently Apple makes products that, when the battery dies, you have to get a whole new machine. Wha?

So, I need to know:

1. how long might the battery last?  I think my iPod is from 2008/9.

2. how can I transfer my music somewhere so I don't lose it? I should probably do this sooner rather than later. I've had some bad experiences with downloading or transferring music from my devices and having data protection stopping me from transferring content.

3. I have no idea what the new small personal music players are. Will I need to get another Apple product to transfer my music over?

Life was so simple when I just listened to Napster.

18 minutes ago, dahlia said:

I hate Apple with a passion. I don't believe in bringing politics into the classroom, but I admit to railing against Apple when I taught policy (I'm in a 'STEM lite' field with a lot of geeks, so we'd have these conversations).

However, years ago I was talked into buying an iPod. I love my little iPod, but it dawned on me that the battery isn't going to last forever  - and apparently Apple makes products that, when the battery dies, you have to get a whole new machine. Wha?

So, I need to know:

2. how can I transfer my music somewhere so I don't lose it? I should probably do this sooner rather than later. I've had some bad experiences with downloading or transferring music from my devices and having data protection stopping me from transferring content.

3. I have no idea what the new small personal music players are. Will I need to get another Apple product to transfer my music over?

You can actually send an ipod to apple to replace the battery in many cases (WARNING - THIS WILL RESULT IN LOSS OF THE FILES ON YOUR IPOD), or to any number of cell phone repair shops (which may or may not result in file loss).  I had this done in 2013 to my 2010 ipod touch, and it cost about $75 at a local phone repair store.  You may also want to pay a visit to your local apple store, which may be able to help.  

The battery life depends on how much you use it.  I usually get only about 2-3 years out of mine, but that is because I use my ipod so much (for music, gaming, and internet) that I have to charge it every day.  You would too, if you had 1200 albums (I am not making this up!  That is how many albums I own).  I have heard of some batteries lasting for years and years, though the battery life will slowly get worse and worse with time.

If you downloaded your music off of itunes, you can re-download as much as you want from itunes without being charged.  I don't think you can transfer music from other sources from your ipod to a computer, though, so if you ripped a bunch of CDs, you may have to re-rip them.  You can also re-download for free if you got your music through amazon.com as well.

As for other products, Apple does make you get another Apple product to play its format of music, so you generally can't play itunes music on an android phone.  When I switched to Android, I got around this by buying a subscription to Apple Music, which lets you access whatever you bought on the apple store (if it is not included on Apple Music already - Neil Young's albums used to be like this - you would have to purchase in itunes first for them to show up in Apple Music).  You can also transfer your iTunes music to CD, then rip the CD to mp3 to transfer to Android (or play the music out of your ipod and plug the ipod into a laptop input jack and record - this is how I used to rip vinyl onto mp3).  

Edited by DoctorLemon

This is an early iPod, no games that I know of. My music is old too, actually from Napster and other such sources, as well as paid for music from iTunes and amazon. You can make non-apple music sources into music that's readable on an Apple device, but it takes a few steps that I have to relearn every time I do it. : ) 

Does anyone know if I can just transfer the music to an external (PC) drive in some way, so that if I have to reload it another device or after getting a new battery, I have it? Or, can I load it back into iTunes or some other service to park it for awhile?

#*#(%(% Apple...

Welcome from the collective.  Back when I was human, I also had silly human prejudices against apple.  But now that I'm properly assimilated by the glorious oneness that is apple, my eyes are open and I now see.

(I'm only 62.5% sarcastic here - I did grow kind of fond of my iPhone.)

- Yeah, the battery is most likely completely dead now.  However, you should still be able to plug it in to a usb power source (wall, computer, etc) and it will probably work fine. 

- Plug it in to your computer.  I have no idea how macs work, but every iPod or iPhone I've ever plugged in to any PC gets recognized easily.  Photos you can copy/paste to wherever you want.  Music is different.  You may be stuck using itunes for the music on your iPod. 

- Dunno.  I've never used an apple product to obtain the music.  I've always started with the .mp3s or .wavs as PC files on a hard drive, and then having iTunes "add" them to itself.  As devices come and go, I've always got my PC folder of music I point whatever device to.  

3 hours ago, dahlia said:

This is an early iPod, no games that I know of. My music is old too, actually from Napster and other such sources, as well as paid for music from iTunes and amazon. You can make non-apple music sources into music that's readable on an Apple device, but it takes a few steps that I have to relearn every time I do it. : ) 

Does anyone know if I can just transfer the music to an external (PC) drive in some way, so that if I have to reload it another device or after getting a new battery, I have it? Or, can I load it back into iTunes or some other service to park it for awhile?

#*#(%(% Apple...

Without jailbreaking it, the only way to transfer music off an ipod is recording it from the ipod audio out jack and using your computers audio in jack (if it has one). Music you've paid for from online services generally have them backed to your account and can download from those to other devices such as usb drives. The older stuff from napster you are going to have to find wherever you hid the original you used to copy to your ipod..... (or find on youtube, and rip it from there... But i didnt say that). I think any apple store can replace your battery.

I like the older ipods. They didnt come with the bloody bloatware that is unremoveable. I have been finding my appreciation for apple dwindling since shortly after cook took over ( or since apple came out as pro lgbqt in the politics arena ,no idea if its just a coinkadink or if theres any correlation, probably the former). I swear apple and M$ are trying to outdo each other in all the wrong ways >.<

Edit i would highly advise avoiding getting an apple music account. At least if you do a lot mp3 file storing and moving between different devices.

Edited by Blackmarch

36 minutes ago, Blackmarch said:

Without jailbreaking it, the only way to transfer music off an ipod is recording it from the ipod audio out jack and using your computers audio in jack (if it has one).

I believe this is not so. I think you can just back up your device, and the files are found unencrypted (but not easily recognizable) in the file structure.

if you got the music onto it, how did you get the music onto it in the first place?

With my ipod, I transferred it via iTunes.  ITunes is the BEST CD ripper in the business.  All the music is recorded in a format that most MP3 players can recognize.  You just go to the folder that ITunes has your music in and transfer it by hand directly to that mp3 player.

In addition, you can burn those ripped CD's to a USB or hard drive, then when you reinstall iTunes, transfer that music to your new iTunes folder and then it's a simple drag and drop to have ITunes recognize them.

ITunes got rid of DRM a LONG time ago, so unless your itune music is really old, you should not have any problems transferring music from your old iTunes account to your new iTunes account.

How Easy it is to transfer depends on the size of your ipod.  If it is under 120 GB (so that would be any of the 40GB, 60, GB, 80GB, 120GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB) you should be able to fit them all into an equivalent Ipod touch (32GB, 64GB, or 128GB).  If it is under 32GB, I would advise you to get the Ipod Nano which I think is around 32 GB now days.

Then it depends on how you got your music in the first place.  If you got it from ITunes (and you are using the same account), it's as easy as redownloading iTunes and signing into the account and redownloading.  If it was a ripped CD, then you'll have to rip the CD's again.

Other methods, they may be harder, I'm not familiar with the other methods of gaining music so can't tell you how easy or hard it would be.

I'm not really a big techie or know much about technical stuff, but I do enjoy my Ipod and how easy it is to get my music onto it.

The biggest problem you might come across is if you have an Ipod Classic that was 160GB and had filled it up.  Apple no longer makes an Ipod with that much space in it.  The only solution there is very expensive (to get an Iphone 7 with 256 GB that does not have a provider, I think that costs around 800-900 dollars).

PS: I did hear of something recently.  They have this usb drive at walmart that I asked about as it has a lightning adapter to it.  The employee there (so who knows how accurate a walmart employee is or isn't) said it doesn't add memory to your ipod, all it does is make space for more music.  It's used as storage, so it transfers songs you want to keep off the ipod onto the storage device.  if it does as the employee stated, perhaps that's another way to get music from one ipod to another?

Don't know, just basing it off of what the employee told me.

Edited by JohnsonJones

Guest Godless
11 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

You can also transfer your iTunes music to CD, then rip the CD to mp3 to transfer to Android

Does this work with protected files? My ipod was stolen a few years ago and I moved all my music to my (Android) phone after that. But a significant portion of the music I bought on iTunes won't work on my phone because it's a protected format, and so far I haven't found a way around that other than ripping individual songs off Youtube (but I didn't say that).

@dahlia,

A little battery hack that may be useful:

If you notice your battery needing to be recharged at an insanely frequent interval (like every couple hours) then you can try freezing it.  

1. Use a deep freezer.  The standard freezers don't get cold enough.
  2. Wrap the battery or device with the battery in it in paper towels or newsprint.
  3. Enclose said wrapped device in a ziploc bag.  You may even double bag it.
  4. Freeze it for at least three days, preferably a week.
  5. Let it thaw in the bag.  This will usually be about 4 or 5 hours.  Varies with ambient temperature.
  6. Charge it overnight.
  7. Start using it again.

If you notice this worked (about 60% to 70% will actually be successful) then it's a brand-new battery.  Have fun for another several years.  If this method is not effective, then it is truly dead.  Get a new battery/device.

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, Godless said:

Does this work with protected files? My ipod was stolen a few years ago and I moved all my music to my (Android) phone after that. But a significant portion of the music I bought on iTunes won't work on my phone because it's a protected format, and so far I haven't found a way around that other than ripping individual songs off Youtube (but I didn't say that).

Yes

On 5/23/2017 at 6:09 PM, dahlia said:

So, I need to know:

If you mean an iPod classic....my experience with these is the hard drive dies before the battery. The battery is replaceable, for a price. 

Use itunes to backup and manage iPod libraries. Free for PCs and Macs.

ipod touch is a nice replacement  

Edited by Blueskye2

20 hours ago, Vort said:

I believe this is not so. I think you can just back up your device, and the files are found unencrypted (but not easily recognizable) in the file structure.

I sure hope so, but that sounds like too big of a loophole to have stuck around for very long.. I'll have to look into that.

If it is anything like an ipad backup, good luck at being able to sort out the right bits (at least if you arent using a program that can stitch together and open the backup archives properly anyways).

Pre ipad 1 ipods might be different, but id wager the late gen ones go through a few loops to keep someone from doing that.

13 hours ago, Godless said:

The way the software is set up on ipods and itunes is that it doesnt let you copy from the ipod to the computer.