What superpower do you want?

Sunday21

Gotta love the sonic screwdriver.

I'd like the powers of the Martian Manhunter.  But if we put it down to a single superpower, I'd like the ability to teleport.  Imagine how much time you could save.

On 7/11/2017 at 11:04 AM, Carborendum said:

Gotta love the sonic screwdriver.

I'd like the powers of the Martian Manhunter.  But if we put it down to a single superpower, I'd like the ability to teleport.  Imagine how much time you could save.

Oh yeah. Teleport for sure! I would teleport into the Sistine Chapel at 2 am and look at the paintings in peace and quiet. Also...temples? Oh..naughty!

49 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Oh yeah. Teleport for sure! I would teleport into the Sistine Chapel at 2 am and look at the paintings in peace and quiet. Also...temples? Oh..naughty!

Yeah, it would make tourism easier.  But I was simply talking about the day-to-day things like commute time, travelling to the store to pick up a tool or a gallon of milk.  Travelling to various Church functions.  Travelling to various classes.  

Yup.  A lot of time spent just on travelling.

15 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Yeah, it would make tourism easier....

Sure, until two people teleport into the same / overlapping physical space at the same time.  Then we have all kinds of no-fun possibilities.  (These are the kinds of things one must consider when developing a magic system.)

10 minutes ago, zil said:

Sure, until two people teleport into the same / overlapping physical space at the same time.  Then we have all kinds of no-fun possibilities.  (These are the kinds of things one must consider when developing a magic system.)

When writing your book keep in mind Syndrome's saying: when everyone is special, then no one will be.

If everyone had the power, then it wouldn't be a superpower.  The whole purpose of having a superpower is to have an advantage.  If everyone could teleport, then people would simply expect you to get things done faster.  Then we're not "saving" time at all.

Think about travelling via gateway.  A lot of people would get sliced and diced.

Edited by Guest

I would choose the superpower of speed.  Specifically to the level of the Barry Allen - Flash.  Why?  Because if you really had the speed capabilities he had you would basically be the best, at everything.  You could cram for a test, or learn almost anything in about 5 seconds with the speed reading skill.  You could use a speed burst to be good at almost any sport.  You would be the most powerful soldier in the armed forces, or privately.  You can manipulate time, walk through walls, produce lightning, fire, and wind.  Run on water, swim ridiculously fast.  I mean, there are very few skills you wouldn't be able to master.  You wouldn't need to teleport because you could run undetectably and vibrate through solid walls to get where you need (on the planet at least).

2 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

When writing your book keep in mind Syndrome's saying: when everyone is special, then no one will be.

If everyone had the power, then it wouldn't be a superpower.  The whole purpose of having a superpower is to have an advantage.  If everyone could teleport, then people would simply expect you to get things done faster.  Then we're not "saving" time at all.

Think about travelling via gateway.  A lot of people would get sliced and diced.

Unless only one person has the power, the chance of "collision" exists and therefore must be considered.

7 minutes ago, person0 said:

I would choose the superpower of speed.  Specifically to the level of the Barry Allen - Flash.  Why?  Because if you really had the speed capabilities he had you would basically be the best, at everything.  You could cram for a test, or learn almost anything in about 5 seconds with the speed reading skill.  You could use a speed burst to be good at almost any sport.  You would be the most powerful soldier in the armed forces, or privately.  You can manipulate time, walk through walls, produce lightning, fire, and wind.  Run on water, swim ridiculously fast.  I mean, there are very few skills you wouldn't be able to master.  You wouldn't need to teleport because you could run undetectably and vibrate through solid walls to get where you need (on the planet at least).

You couldn't fly.  With teleportation, you could mimic flight fairly easily.

And there were some walls Barry couldn't penetrate, specifically, very thick and/or very dense ones.

2 minutes ago, zil said:

+s, yes.  One has to figure out some kind of safety mechanism to ensure two people can't "collide" - or simply note this as a risk (regardless of whether the characters know it can happen or not).

Have you seen the movie Jumper?  It does a good job.

You could also look at what was it that Harry Potter folks used with dust in the fireplace?  There were built in safety mechanisms for that.

2 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Have you seen the movie Jumper?  It does a good job.

You could also look at what was it that Harry Potter folks used with dust in the fireplace?  There were built in safety mechanisms for that.

No, but you mentioned it before.

Yes, we wouldn't want ash colliding with the fire grate, that would be disastrous. ;)

2 hours ago, zil said:

No, but you mentioned it before.

Yes, we wouldn't want ash colliding with the fire grate, that would be disastrous. ;)

I believe flue dust automatically "pushed" one forward or backwards to prevent superposition.

Jumper had these "jump scars" that looked like cloudy portals.  They opened with soft edges and eased the teleportation to the other location.  Then you jumped through the portal.  They never went into detail, but the way it looked, I assumed that the portals would push against one another if they were too close.

With either of these methods, the worst that could happen was you bumped into someone else.  You'd never superimpose.