New-ish Member, Considering Marriage

On 2/14/2018 at 10:35 AM, omegaseamaster75 said:

If you marry a guy  and find out the next day he is a serial killer, abusive, etc, etc,  you should get divorced.

In most places if there was some form of deception (including withholding information that would impact the decision to marry) then a marriage can able annulled.

On 2/12/2018 at 2:39 PM, Carborendum said:

Our wedding cost about $300.  But, you know, inflation...  I'm remembering what we spent money on and it would probably be about $800 today, maybe $1000.

Then we had a honeymoon that consisted of a hotel room, sight seeing, and dinner out. Given the type of hotel and number of meals, today would be about $1000.

Yup.  Mormons know how to get by cheap.

Most of the expense of our wedding was a result of the nearest temple being 600 miles away.

On 2/12/2018 at 3:49 AM, Mjd1174 said:

So I'm 25 and joined the Church just over a year ago. I'm the first of my family, so a lot of my personal battles are getting these two worlds to mesh. 6 weeks ago I started dating another member and we've really struck it off. We're already talking about getting married to each other. Once upon a time, I would have run screaming from such a relationship, but now I'm not scared. Now it feels right. I know it's relatively common in the church for people to meet, date, and propose in 6 months or less (which I swore wasn't going to be me but well here we are...) but it's not common outside the Church. I'm already having nonmembers express their concern for me. What have you done in similar situations? What can I say to assuage their concerns? 

It is common for quick engagements but it doesn’t necessarily mean quick marriages are the ideal for every situation. 

I’ve been married 8 years and do not regret getting married to my spouse. I DO regret not seeking professional guidance sooner about how to communicate and build healthy relationship and boundaries with my spouse. Seriously any Gottman book would be amazing to read as a couple  

I think ecclesiastical leaders may have good advice, but they aren’t marriage counselors and can sometimes offer unhealthy advice. 

You guys aren’t 21 and are likely more emotional mature for marriage. 

Oh and not to sound like a defiant teenager...it’s your life and not their life!!!!!!!! But seriously, I’m sure it’s exhausting to try and comfort people in your adult decisions, but you truly are not responsible for their feelings ❤️. You can nicely say this to people because it’s healthy for all relationships to not be overly involved in everything.