"What shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?"

debsuth

Would I be willing to accept the answer to my question if I were to ask the Savior, “What shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?” (Mark 10:17).  Jesus beheld this man, and loved him even when He looked on his whole being described with the words, “then Jesus beholding him loved him.” (Mark 10:21).  That is so tender.

We don’t know the rest of the story of this man. We don’t know if he did what he was commanded to do; to sell whatever he had and give to the poor. We don’t know, but let’s assume he did. In verse 17, we read that he came running and kneeled before the Lord. So far his actions speak very highly of him, and when he addressed Jesus as “Good Master,” this shows the love and respect he held for Jesus.

But he had great possessions and probably enjoyed having them. Perhaps it took time, but I can imagine him giving them away and serving others around him. It would have taken time to adjust his thinking to be able to overcome them. For some, and maybe he, it would be a short time, and for others, it may take longer. I don’t know which category I would fall into. So, I try every day to give of myself just a little more. And if I fall back a step or two, I do my best to come before Him in humility asking again for help to be and do more.

If we give our whole heart to Christ, then we may more comfortably take our cross and follow Him. Perhaps this may take a lifetime to accomplish, but if we are willing to keep Christ at the center of our lives, then the possessions won’t take such a great hold of us and we can let go much more easily.

Sometimes our very circumstances are the things we need to give up, or just in the caring of them. Letting go of past experiences may very well be part of my possessions that I am holding onto. If they crowd out my thoughts and love for Jesus Christ, then they need to go! In October 2017 General Conference, Sister Neil F Marriott taught how we might handle our circumstances, “When we give our heart to the Father and the Son, we change our world-even if circumstances around us do not change. We draw closer to Heavenly Father and feel His tender acceptances of our efforts to be true disciples of Christ.”

Taking our cross today requires personal sacrifice and a willingness to be His disciple. We will grow closer to Heavenly Father when we show we are trying to be as this man who came running and kneeled down before the Savior to ask Him what he could do to inherit eternal life. How often do we ask this of ourselves and with such urgency?

If Jesus told me, "If you will be my son, sell all you have, give it to the poor, and live the rest of your life depending solely upon my mercies," I truly think that I would have relatively little problem doing that. Bring it on! If I die in the attempt, hey, I'm good!

But what if Jesus said, "If you will be my son, forgive everyone completely for every nasty, unkind, and vicious thing they may ever have done to you"? Well, that would be harder. I'd probably ask what it actually means to forgive someone, and try to discover what exactly it looks like to have forgiven someone.

What if Jesus said, "If you will be my son, sacrifice your wife and/or your children. Agree to let them suffer a brief, horrifying, painful existence followed by an ignominious death"? I realize that's stupid, of course -- except that is the very trial that people I know have been called to suffer. What if that were the Lord's word to me?

I have confidence that, as I strive to follow Christ, I am made stronger step by step. But scenarios such as these keep me from being too confident.

17 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?

18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

20 And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.

21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

23 And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!

24 And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!

25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

26 And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?

27 And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

28 Then Peter began to say unto him, Lo, we have left all, and have followed thee.

29 And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's,

30 But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.

31 But many that are first shall be last; and the last first.

It may be in this life, that many who are the first, those that have power and riches will be the last...and those who we despise in this life...those who are homeless, poor, cast out, but believers and faithful to the Lord...will be those who have positions of glory and power in the hereafter.

It is interesting the comment the Lord makes about the rich...it is easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle (that's a needle, not THE needle, many scholars in an attempt to justify riches take it to mean this refers to THE NEEDLE, a gate in Jerusalem...but I read it as it is written...as A needle...which is basically saying it is going to be VERY hard...which hopefully does NOT condemn me, but who knows).

I am NOT considered one of the 1% in the US as far as I know, but compared to the rest of the world I might be considered to be wealthy (as many would be in the US).  I suppose the easy way to stop being rich is to actually give away most of what I have and live on a subsistence amount.  Why have I not done so?  Probably the reason most others have not done so...even though the Lord points out how riches are an obstacle.  I am too attached to the comforts of this life.  I hope that I am not condemned for such ridiculousness...and such selfishness...but I am not the one too judge...it is the Lord's realm.

I do take hope though, for as the apostles saw that this young rich man was very righteous, even they wondered who could be saved if such could not be.  The Lord then says...that with God...all things are possible.  And Peter then says the thing which is greater than what I, or most of anyone living today has dne...where he states...

Lo, we have left all, and have followed thee

Peter was a very righteous man if we really look at his acts and what he did.  If I can merely even think about being as righteous as he was...I would probably be a far better person than I am now.

Life is a most interesting journey.  It is not difficult to imagine ourselves as accepting the call from Jesus.  Often, we think of eternal life as something we earn or accomplish ourselves.  Now, I realize that many do not think we as individuals accomplish eternal life – that it really comes from G-d.  Whatever excuse or idea we have about such things – some will obtain eternal life and some will not – the difference is not in what G-d does.

But there is another dimension that I believe many overlook.   A view but few consider.  The first view – or the common view is that we substitute ourselves in the story for the rich young man.  We imagine ourselves as being rich and having all the wonderful things wealth brings but then we wonder about the sacrifice of selling all we have to give to the poor and follow Christ.  That is a most admirable view.   It is the view that just about everybody takes.  But there is another dimension a view less considered.   How would you feel if you were the spouse or child of someone that sold all that you and your family had worked together for – gave all your stuff as well to the poor and then instead of supporting or assisting in the support of our family – they dedicated themselves to their “church” callings?  Such an act would likely tear a family apart.  Is not a family the very foundation upon which “eternal life” is built?

The reason I bring up the other dimension is because I do not think Jesus is asking of the young man what many think he was asking.  From time to time I have suggested that there is a symbolic meaning – beyond the literal understanding of scripture and divine revelation.  Not all of us are wealthy, yet this epoch in scripture is for all to ponder.  I submit the wealth of the man was symbolic of something else.  Perhaps something that does not appear to be the same for you as for me.  Something each of us currently value that obstructs our way and soils – not just us but those we love - from our journey together through mortality towards eternal life.

The Traveler