Booze and Coffee at home...

Lost Boy

I've made two notable exceptions: 

* We brought my nonreligious father out to be with us, as he was dying of cancer.  After a gall bladder explosion in the '80's, he had been forced to give up alcohol.  The doctors told him if he continued to drink beer, it would swiftly kill him.  So, as he was going into hospice care where they would manage his decline of terminal cancer, he wanted beer.  We bought and served him beer.  And then he went into hospice.  And then he died of cancer.  I do not regret my choice, but if I had declined his request, I would probably regret it deeply.

* 3am knock on our door during a blizzard, it was some idiot who had driven into a ditch and was half frozen.  We made him hot tea (I forget why we had it in the house in the first place).  If there had been coffee, we would have made that for him.

Edited by NeuroTypical

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I do not regret my choice, but if I had declined his request, I would probably regret it deeply.

Sorry about your father @NeuroTypical. I would have done the same as you, no doubt. I'm really not sure how anyone could have a problem with that. 

5 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I've made two notable exceptions: 

* We brought my nonreligious father out to be with us, as he was dying of cancer.  After a gall bladder explosion in the '80's, he had been forced to give up alcohol.  The doctors told him if he continued to drink beer, it would swiftly kill him.  So, as he was going into hospice care where they would manage his decline of terminal cancer, he wanted beer.  We bought and served him beer.  And then he went into hospice.  And then he died of cancer.  I do not regret my choice, but if I had declined his request, I would probably regret it deeply.

* 3am knock on our door during a blizzard, it was some idiot who had driven into a ditch and was half frozen.  We made him hot tea (I forget why we had it in the house in the first place).  If there had been coffee, we would have made that for him.

I feel for you! I had a dying grandmother who bribed her great grand children to smuggle cigarettes into her hospital ward. The children in their 40s were resolute that she be denied the heathen weed. Sad and comic as the Scots sometimes are...

When a loved one is dying is one of those times when you do for them what they did for you when you needed their care...  you put their needs first.

I always hoped my mom would join the Church in life.  She never did, and remained Catholic.  Even so, when I left the Catholic Church and got baptized LDS, she was there to support me.

As she was dying from lung cancer, I called for a local Catholic Priest to come give her Last Rites.  

It's just what you do.