The internet saved me..

Sunday21

Have you ever had a time when you wanted to say a prayer of gratitude for the internet?

Here is my ‘thank you, internet’ story

From time to time, I wake up and see an enormous spider on my wall. I have searched for this stupid spider to no avail. Fortunately, I like minimalist decor...well in all honesty, no one in their right mind would describe my motley collection of household affects as ‘decor’, more a hapless but spartan collection of stuff. Thus hardly anywhere for a mega spider to hide.

So I woke up and saw a huge-scary-spider! Walked across the bedroom. Spider still there. Went to kitchen to get fly swatter. Returned to bedroom, no spider. Hmm.

Started to think. How big do spiders grow to in my neck of the woods anyway? Googled.

Yep. Spiders get very large here! But wait a minute look at that image of a spider....not many legs on each side! How many legs did my spider have? At least 12! So not a spider! 

So I just googled ‘wake up see spider’ and 

What you are describing sounds alot like Hypnogogic Hallucinations. I have narcolepsy and because narcoleptics go straight into a dream stage of sleep and wake up from the same, there are times when we will open our eyes and see what we are dreaming. These are often scary images & at the time it happens realizing that is what is going on isn’t as easy as saying to yourself “Oh I must be experiencing a hypnogogic hallucination.
You might be able to find a more definite answer to your question by typing in the word “parasomnias” and doing a search on it.

There are quite a entries for ‘wake up, see spiders’ So yes you can wake up and see things that are not there. However, ..obviously my subconscious was asleep in school when we covered the eight legs thing...Waking up and seeing spiders is a Thing!

Thank you Madame Internet!

So has the internet ever saved you? 

Guest LiterateParakeet

Wow, Sunday that is cool.  So sorry that you wake up to spiders though, eek!   

Actually, there was a time when I had an almost overwhelming temptation to self-harm.  The rational part of me that knew I shouldn't, in true nerd fashion, googled self-harm and I learned that it is very addictive.   I like being in control, and being addicted is clearly the opposite.  So that bit of information spared me from giving into the temptation I was feeling.  I think there is a misunderstanding that people who self-harm are all teenagers, but I know adults who do it.  It is very common for survivors of sexual abuse.  

Edited by LiterateParakeet

Guest MormonGator

The internet saved me too, but in a different way. Growing up in a small town and somewhat insular community it was hard to find people who had common interests . When my family first got Compuserve way back in the 90's, it opened up a new way to communicate with people who had the same interests I did. It helped cure a strong sense of loneliness.