I Stole In The Past

ifana

I wasn't very active 2 years ago. Now I am back to church my faith is restored, I pray and read scriptures everyday. But there is one thing that really bothers me. That year when i wasn't active (i was 19) I stole a couple of thing at Walmart (a mascara, a candy bar, eyeshodows, I don't even remember everything). I keep thinking about it everyday but don't know what to do? do i need to confess to my bishop? how can i make restitution? (it was in Florida, but we moved to Utah last year)

I wasn't very active 2 years ago. Now I am back to church my faith is restored, I pray and read scriptures everyday. But there is one thing that really bothers me. That year when i wasn't active (i was 19) I stole a couple of thing at Walmart (a mascara, a candy bar, eyeshodows, I don't even remember everything). I keep thinking about it everyday but don't know what to do? do i need to confess to my bishop? how can i make restitution? (it was in Florida, but we moved to Utah last year)

You don't need to talk to anyone about this....you have already started the repentence process by recognizing what you did...now it's bothering you and you want to rectify the situation. You have to make restitution. The best way to do this is to guesstimate the approximate value of what you took (guess high), then get the money togther, get a money order, make it out to Walmart and send it to the manager of the Walmart you stole from with a letter explaining what you did and asking for forgiveness. Most all will commend you for your honesty. If getting the money is a problem and there is absolutely no way to make any then write the letter anyway and explain to the manager that you have no money or way to make any and you will be doing (X) amount of hours of personal volunteer community service. You could go to a retirement home ot homeless shelter or some other place in need and volunteer. But don't just give a few hours of time....give a few weeks worth at least. Either way, while you're doing this go to the Lord to ask His forgiveness and you will be surprised how wonderful you will feel. Godspeed.......

just because you don't "have" to confess something to the bishop doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't. if it's eating at you that much and you will feel better knowing that the bishop concers that you have done the best you can, or are on the right road to repenting that can bring a comfort and reasurance. i'm sure the bishop has so many things to deal with he'd love to have a meeting where someone doesn't have a serious sin and all that is needed from him is support and guidence, while they are actively striving to improve. how you go about making restitution; i'd do that carefully. unfortunately we live in a day where good deeds aren't always rewarded with a smile and "it's nice to see someone being so honest" comment. i would talk to the bishop about the best way to make restitution, maybe even a lawyer depending on how long ago and the total cost of things taken.

good luck

i stole when i was a kid.

from 7-11.

about 30 dollars worth of candy over about a year.

One day i decided to pay them back for it. I wrote them a letter and confessed for what i did. I payed them the money I owed them too. I didn't confess it to the bishop. But i knew i fully repented.

I admit, it wasn't the perfect way to repent, but it was all i was capable of at 13 years old. And the Lord accepted it.

Talk to the Lord and ask Him how he would like you to recompense for the small mistakes you have made. He might ask you to talk to the bishop, or he might not. He might ask that you pay them back....I don't know.

...and remember, this is why the savior came to the world. There is only hope.

Also, do not condemn yourself. We are ALL struggling in the spirit with our weakness. The blessing you have is that you can see you have done something wrong. Many of us can't.

/hug

• 2 weeks later...

It's all good. Walmart is the Great Satan, is it not? :P:P

LOL My thoughts exactly! I did recently see the documentary on Walmart. Bad Walmart bad...

(the following is a joke)You're letter should read:

Dear evil Walmart,

I am sorry I stole items from your store a couple of years back. I was going to send a Money order for the cost of the items I stole, but after viewing a recent documentary about your store, I decided to give the moeny to the poor.

PS, I stole the pen, paper and envelope to write this letter from your store.

Seriously, I wouldn't send a check, they might try and prosecute you.

• 4 weeks later...