How do I understand my (now Mormon) fiancee's family's Catholic faith?

1 hour ago, Latter-Day Marriage said:

A common anti-mormon accusation is that we believe God literally had sex with Mary, so she wasn't a virgin.  And according to Catholics Mary never had any other children, and never had sex with Joseph.  She was virgin all her life.  It doesn't matter that the Bible says otherwise.

An actual Catholic doctrine that not  many know about is that May still had her hymen intact after giving birth.

Yeah I knew all that... it just seems weird that this person would be ranting about it when it's so easily cleared up, being as he was ranting to an LDS person.

3 hours ago, unixknight said:

What's the point of ranting about that?  That's not something we disagree on.

Not according to #1 son- he actually believe that WE believe Mary had sex or what he also called 'relations' with God, since we believe He has a body of flesh. 

I have an idea that his father (my ex) has been filling him full of garbage since said ex left the Church and returned to the Catholic church years ago.

3 hours ago, anatess2 said:

In any case, you don't have to refute anything they say.  You don't have to play "I can quote the Bible too" with them.  Spiritual learning doesn't happen unless the Holy Spirit is present.  Arguing over one's salvation doesn't invite the Spirit of Truth, it invites the Spirit of Contention.  

True true true.... that's why I hit the Scriptures to fortify my spirit and feel closer to the Spirit and His guidance to share more of truth to my son without contention coming into the conversation.

2 hours ago, Latter-Day Marriage said:

A common anti-mormon accusation is that we believe God literally had sex with Mary, so she wasn't a virgin.  And according to Catholics Mary never had any other children, and never had sex with Joseph.  She was virgin all her life.  It doesn't matter that the Bible says otherwise.

An actual Catholic doctrine that not  many know about is that May still had her hymen intact after giving birth.

This is exactly what my son came out with...... blew me away that they could actually believe that!

Just like we have our "lingo" in the LDS church, I've found that Catholics have theirs. Maybe learn some of their vocabulary if they are active church goers. Go to mass with them. ( I've been a few times and don't remember anything remotely like what we see and do in the temple. ) Maybe don't say "holy smokes" around them?  😀

9 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Perpetual Virginity does not require the presence of an intact hymen as is instilled in the assurance of Nuns victimized by rape as not having been defiled in their vow of perpetual virginity in the same manner that the medical condition that causes a woman's hymen to remain intact after sexual intercourse does not indicate she's still a virgin.  Any posits of intact hymen or whatever the medical manner of Jesus' birth are all extrapolations of dogma.

In any case, a Mormon attacking the Catholic Church for its "weird beliefs" is highly hypocritical.  And you should stop.

Where did I attack them?  I just pointed out another area where Catholic and Mormon beliefs about Mary differ.  

You attacked me as spreading falsehoods, but the Catechism of the Catholic Church and St. Augustine kind of carry some weight here.  And why would the Catechism say "Mary’s real and perpetual virginity even in the act of giving birth"  if they weren't trying to make the  point that the birth made no change in her body.  The Catholic Catechism of the Council of Trent: says: "just as He afterwards went forth from the sepulchre while it was closed and sealed, and entered the room in which His disciples were assembled, the doors being shut; or not to depart from every-day examples, just as the rays of the sun penetrate without breaking or injuring in the least the solid substance of glass, so after a like but more exalted manner did Jesus Christ come forth from His mother’s womb without injury to her maternal virginity."