The Path or Way

Traveler

I'm going to reply hopefully to help someone who may not understand.

The path or way is a means to get where we can be saved. The path itself isn't the place of our salvation as a destination but rather the means or the way to find salvation. There also isn't any other path that leads to salvation. There's only one narrow gate and one narrow path. This gate and path is the "only" way that man can be saved from the eternal hell. There is no other way, no other process or means available whereby man has hope of salvation from hell. Also, along this path, once one has entered, are no exit signs that lead to other paths of salvation or places of rest. Why? Because the end of the path represents salvation from hell, it means one is saved only if he finishes the path. Rewards of glory or placement in heaven come after the path is completed. It's like Christ is begging us to come and follow him through the gate and on the path until completion so that at last we can be saved from hell because there is no other way to escape the damnation of hell without finishing the path.

For anyone other than Rob who may be interested, I just noticed something in the Come Follow Me readings for this coming week that relates to this thread.  In each of the first three Gospels, (Matthew 3; Mark 1; and Luke 3), John the Baptist is said to fulfill the prophesy of Esaias/Isaiah (presumably Isa 40:3-4) . Each state: ""Prepare ye the way of the way of the Lord, make his paths straight."

We have been rightly talking here about a single path, but also a single way, whereas Isaiah is quoted as mentioning  multiple paths.

There are also several sections of the D&C that use the same phraseology (D&C 33:10; 65:1; and 133:17

Let's see, a single path, but with multiple ways.  A single heaven, but with multiple glorie?. ;)  Is it possible that Isaiah received further light and knowledge  that nuanced his binary perception of heaven?

Thanks, -Wade ENglund-

3 hours ago, wenglund said:

For anyone other than Rob who may be interested, I just noticed something in the Come Follow Me readings for this coming week that relates to this thread.  In each of the first three Gospels, (Matthew 3; Mark 1; and Luke 3), John the Baptist is said to fulfill the prophesy of Esaias/Isaiah (presumably Isa 40:3-4) . Each state: ""Prepare ye the way of the way of the Lord, make his paths straight."

We have been rightly talking here about a single path, but also a single way, whereas Isaiah is quoted as mentioning  multiple paths.

There are also several sections of the D&C that use the same phraseology (D&C 33:10; 65:1; and 133:17

Let's see, a single path, but with multiple ways.  A single heaven, but with multiple glorie?. ;)  Is it possible that Isaiah received further light and knowledge  that nuanced his binary perception of heaven?

Thanks, -Wade ENglund-

This is not what is meant. Both "path" and "way" are used in plural in referencing God's plan of salvation. But it's all part of a singular path with a singular Savior and a singular kingdom of heaven. "Path" in the context of "paths" in the scriptures refers to God's precepts, his rules/laws. So, when one walks in the Lord's "paths" it means one is walking within the precepts or principles of law within God's many laws that comprise a singular law. It is in this correct sense the word is used. Here-

19 For I perceive that ye are in the paths of righteousness; I perceive that ye are in the path which leads to the kingdom of God; yea, I perceive that ye are making his paths straight. (Alma 7:19)

One will notice in the first sentence it is plural meaning it refers to his precepts (plural). Then it places the plural within the singular as leading or meaning the numerous precepts that funnel one into the one way or path. Then it goes back to referencing it in the plural meaning bringing his many precepts into the same straight course. Here again-

3 And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths; for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem. (2 Nephi 12:3)

This is paraphrasing Isaiah speaking of the precepts or covenants (plural in reference to paths meaning multiple covenants) we make in the temple in our latter day temples, not that there are multiple paths to different salvations. Here again-

5 And it came to pass that they did humble themselves before the Lord; insomuch that I had joy and great hopes of them, that they would walk in the paths of righteousness. (1 Nephi 16:5)

This again in context is speaking of the numerous precepts or laws of righteousness. Here again-

36 And now, I say unto you, my brethren, that after ye have known and have been taught all these things, if ye should transgress and go contrary to that which has been spoken, that ye do withdraw yourselves from the Spirit of the Lord, that it may have no place in you to guide you in wisdom’s paths that ye may be blessed, prospered, and preserved- (Mosiah 2:36)

Again, in context, the "paths" are being defined as precepts, principles, etc, which are plural meaning there are multiple precepts or rules that make up the singular way of God's work.

Thanks Wade for bringing up this valuable insight that further adds light to this discussion of there being precepts and multiple covenants that make up the  singular overall path of God's plan of salvation.

Edited by Rob Osborn

On 1/24/2019 at 11:24 AM, Traveler said:

I believe the Buddhists have the right idea.  The way or path is a way or path of enlightenment.  It is the attitude of being "aware" more than getting somewhere in space and time.  We are told in scripture that Zion is where the pure in heart are.  Thus when enlightened we are where G-d (the singular notion of G-d or ehad) is.  The Hebrew term of ehad is translated as "one" but is also used to describe the covenant of marriage as "one flesh" despite the fact we know that there are two very different and distinct individuals.  So as we become enlightened we are with G-d and are G-d as described in the first chapter of John.  It does not matter what is destination in space and time where we arrive - we will always be where Celestial beings dwell. 

The Traveler

I decided to add one other thought - I believe it possible for two people to be sitting next to each other on some bench or even walking side by side in the same location (space time) and that one is sitting or walking in the light of G-d fully receiving unimpeded inspiration from the Father through the Holy Ghost and the other sitting or walking right next to the first to while in complete darkness receiving inspiration from Satan.

Traveler,

I've just had a series of events happen that made me think about this thread REALLY HARD.  I don't want to explain, so I'll just share.

We're all familiar with the carrot and stick idea.  We give kids candy for a job well done.  This is often ingrained into our collective consciousness that we think of it as a fundamental truth.  Yesterday, my daughter CRIED because we did not have time to give her the reward for the work she did.  We have some rules and...

I began thinking that the Lord doesn't really work that way.  And I think this is your point.  If so, I agree.  While we cannot be exalted in mortality, we can behave as an exalted person would behave.  And as we continue to do so, we will eventually find ourselves exalted.

A comparison would be like career choices.  A doctor goes to med school to BECOME a doctor.  But BEING a doctor can mean many things.  Too often, it simply means having some pieces of paper that allow one to put some letters after one's name.  But to be the healer, the one who cares for patients, the one who saves lives, the one who wants to make people healthier and extend life, to be able to do those things and enact such things is another level beyond that.

The next thing that happened shortly after my daughter's episode was that I was reading about how we tend to think of "being" as a "thing" that exists.  In past centuries, they only thought of "being" as an action or something that is engaged in action.  A rock simply wasn't being anything.  In our modern tongue -- a rock is not A being.  It simply is.  It cannot act.  It can only be acted upon.

I pondered, then, what is exaltation? We tend to think of it as a "state of being".  Now, juxtapose that with what I just said, and it becomes a paradox.  "State" comes from the word "static", as in motionless, no action.  Can one be a being that doesn't act?

What, then is exaltation?  It is being able to act continually and do more and more throughout all eternity.  This is "liberty and Eternal Life."  It is not a destination.  It is the seaman sailing from horizon to horizon, rather than from port to port.  It is not a "state of being".  It is the continual journey without end.

In the story Tuck Everlasting the father says that,"You can't call what we Tucks do 'living'.  We simply are like a rock."  This was a family who were immortal.  They never changed.  And they could never really do anything to change themselves or much in the world.

I remember several people saying that they don't want to be Gods because of <whatever>.  But looking at it through this lens, they're really saying,"I don't want to keep working forever.  I want to stop working.  I don't want to "act" anymore."

Based on these thoughts I just expressed, they are really asking for damnation.

Edited by Guest

On 1/27/2019 at 8:48 PM, wenglund said:

"Prepare ye the way of the way of the Lord, make his paths straight."

I believe this to be a different meaning than what you're alluding to.  Notice that it is HIS path, not ours.

IOW, we each have our own path to Jesus, and He to us (hence, multiple paths).  But from him to exaltation is only one path.  He's it.  Once we find Jesus, we are all on the same path.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Traveler,

I've just had a series of events happen that made me think about this thread REALLY HARD.  I don't want to explain, so I'll just share.

We're all familiar with the carrot and stick idea.  We give kids candy for a job well done.  This is often ingrained into our collective consciousness that we think of it as a fundamental truth.  Yesterday, my daughter CRIED because we did not have time to give her the reward for the work she did.  We have some rules and...

I began thinking that the Lord doesn't really work that way.  And I think this is your point.  If so, I agree.  While we cannot be exalted in mortality, we can behave as an exalted person would behave.  And as we continue to do so, we will eventually find ourselves exalted.

A comparison would be like career choices.  A doctor goes to med school to BECOME a doctor.  But BEING a doctor can mean many things.  Too often, it simply means having some pieces of paper that allow one to put some letters after one's name.  But to be the healer, the one who cares for patients, the one who saves lives, the one who wants to make people healthier and extend life, to be able to do those things and enact such things is another level beyond that.

The next thing that happened shortly after my daughter's episode was that I was reading about how we tend to think of "being" as a "thing" that exists.  In past centuries, they only thought of "being" as an action or something that is engaged in action.  A rock simply wasn't being anything.  In our modern tongue -- a rock is not A being.  It simply is.  It cannot act.  It can only be acted upon.

I pondered, then, what is exaltation? We tend to think of it as a "state of being".  Now, juxtapose that with what I just said, and it becomes a paradox.  "State" comes from the word "static", as in motionless, no action.  Can one be a being that doesn't act?

What, then is exaltation?  It is being able to act continually and do more and more throughout all eternity.  This is "liberty and Eternal Life."  It is not a destination.  It is the seaman sailing from horizon to horizon, rather than from port to port.  It is not a "state of being".  It is the continual journey without end.

In the story Tuck Everlasting the father says that,"You can't call what we Tucks do 'living'.  We simply are like a rock."  This was a family who were immortal.  They never changed.  And they could never really do anything to change themselves or much in the world.

I remember several people saying that they don't want to be Gods because of <whatever>.  But looking at it through this lens, they're really saying,"I don't want to keep working forever.  I want to stop working.  I don't want to "act" anymore."

Based on these thoughts I just expressed, they are really asking for damnation.

WOW!  Someday - if not in this life then the next.  I would love to walk a path with you together sharing the experiences of our journeys. 

The Traveler

On 1/24/2019 at 10:24 AM, Traveler said:

I believe the Buddhists have the right idea.  The way or path is a way or path of enlightenment.  It is the attitude of being "aware" more than getting somewhere in space and time.  We are told in scripture that Zion is where the pure in heart are.  Thus when enlightened we are where G-d (the singular notion of G-d or ehad) is.  The Hebrew term of ehad is translated as "one" but is also used to describe the covenant of marriage as "one flesh" despite the fact we know that there are two very different and distinct individuals.  So as we become enlightened we are with G-d and are G-d as described in the first chapter of John.  It does not matter what is destination in space and time where we arrive - we will always be where Celestial beings dwell. 

The Traveler

I decided to add one other thought - I believe it possible for two people to be sitting next to each other on some bench or even walking side by side in the same location (space time) and that one is sitting or walking in the light of G-d fully receiving unimpeded inspiration from the Father through the Holy Ghost and the other sitting or walking right next to the first to while in complete darkness receiving inspiration from Satan.

Being fully "aware" requires a perfected body (brain).  It may be that the body provides a mechanism to have charity and empathy that isn't part of our spirit being, we don't know exactly. But we do know that a Celestial level of awareness requires a celestial body, not just a state of mind. Christ needed a body to be able to be aware of everyone's sins, for example.  Arriving at that location of being worthy of a Celestial body is done by taking a certain path, with gates along the way, covenants.