Priesthood Manuals

Thoughts on the new book, Teachings of The Prophet Joseph Smith. to be used in Priesthood and RS for the next TWO years, and donations requested as they are NOT free? Are other wards requesting donation?

:dontknow:

Hi, I'm new here. Was just wondering if we can order the manual online?

you can go to LDS.org and give it a try.....

Thoughts on the new book, Teachings of The Prophet Joseph Smith. to be used in Priesthood and RS for the next TWO years, and donations requested as they are NOT free? Are other wards requesting donation?

I have put in 10yrs as a Bishop and have never asked for donations....always took it from the budget

ok, so this past sunday, they were passed out to all, and we were asked to contribute 2-3 dollars on the "other" line with our tithes and offerrings. i felt much better about it, as it didn't feel like we were being charged for it, which is how it came across the first time it was brought up.of course, i will contribute, as that was not my objection...just the way it was pronounced from the pulpit.

Guest Username-Removed

I can see how at first, it might be a bit wierd to ask for a donation, especially if you never had to. I think it does depends on the ward budget. In my ward, we have a lot of .... ahem ... overhead! So, we had to get creative when I published our first disaster plan as part of my calling. Over 20 pages of publication, and no money to print it! So, I decided to open a website, and pay for it myself and have the ward members simply download it for free. Or they could just browse the website, which is the disaster plan! Those that didnt have access to the web, but had a computer, could ... donate .... a buck to have a CDROM burned of the manual. Those that couldnt afford that, ended up with one for free. I would say that I have put in well over $2000 in the last year to my calling. Im ok with that, even though my bishop keeps telling me I dont have to do that! I go to the temple, and I know that I am reminded of what my duties are - and I am remined - at least in this my calling, that its ok for me to do that.

I think its a good thing to question these things once in a while. As long as the money isnt going into someone elses pocket for profit, then I think its all good.

You know I used to have advertising on my website, and just couldnt get comfortable having it there. I never made any money, in fact, it costs about 20 times more to have the website open, than any revenue I ever got from advertising .... But I was worried that people might think I was doing it for profit, which I am not.

I think the Lord shares truth and knowlege with us, and that we, especially when it comes to spiritual knowlege, should not profit from it - and certainly shouldnt appear to be profiting from it. Our duty is to share it, especially when it comes to our callings!

I can see how at first, it might be a bit wierd to ask for a donation, especially if you never had to. I think it does depends on the ward budget. In my ward, we have a lot of .... ahem ... overhead! So, we had to get creative when I published our first disaster plan as part of my calling. Over 20 pages of publication, and no money to print it! So, I decided to open a website, and pay for it myself and have the ward members simply download it for free. Or they could just browse the website, which is the disaster plan! Those that didnt have access to the web, but had a computer, could ... donate .... a buck to have a CDROM burned of the manual. Those that couldnt afford that, ended up with one for free. I would say that I have put in well over $2000 in the last year to my calling. Im ok with that, even though my bishop keeps telling me I dont have to do that! I go to the temple, and I know that I am reminded of what my duties are - and I am remined - at least in this my calling, that its ok for me to do that.

I think its a good thing to question these things once in a while. As long as the money isnt going into someone elses pocket for profit, then I think its all good.

You know I used to have advertising on my website, and just couldnt get comfortable having it there. I never made any money, in fact, it costs about 20 times more to have the website open, than any revenue I ever got from advertising .... But I was worried that people might think I was doing it for profit, which I am not.

I think the Lord shares truth and knowlege with us, and that we, especially when it comes to spiritual knowlege, should not profit from it - and certainly shouldnt appear to be profiting from it. Our duty is to share it, especially when it comes to our callings!

Word.....

One of my callings in my ward is emergency preparedness coordinator....I'd love the link to your website to compare what we have put together......please?

Thanks

Guest Username-Removed

<div class='quotemain'>

Word.....

One of my callings in my ward is emergency preparedness coordinator....I'd love the link to your website to compare what we have put together......please?

Thanks

Bro Dorsey,

Wow I had no idea of your calling. That's awesome! The website is www.ldsready.org. You can even download a copy of last years plan, and also the plan for 2008 - which I am almost done with. Let me know if you have any questions. There's tons in there!

Mark

I was a Ward Clerk for about 12 years. One of my responsibilities was to order all the study material for all the Ward organizations for the coming year. The distribution center sends to each ward an order list for the coming year in August and asks that it be filled out and ordered by September 1st to insure that you will receive everything in Novenber.

The cost of everything is automatically deducted from the ward budget by the Distribution Center. If the Bishop and/or Ward Clerk is on top of things, a certain amount of funds is alloted for this at the first of the year when the budget for the year is set up. I would always receive all material for all organizations in November and distribute it to the leaders, and they would put it in their hall cabinets until the first of the coming year.

I don't know why some wards ask for reimbursement from the members if the budget has been allotted correctly. These manuals were $2.00 each and the wards should receive adequate budget from the stake to pay for them. If a person wants more that one, he or she should pay for it themselves.

I understand that the Joseph Smith manual is good for two years. I don't know if it cost $2.00 for it since I'm no longer the Ward Clerk and did not order our Ward's materials for next year this time.

my understanding is that our budget gets stretched particularly thin meeting needs of members. much more undertandable when this is explained why the donations are being asked for.

there have been several EQ meetings in the past few months where we have been asked to did a little deeper into our pockets.

the needs of memebrs comes from fast Offerings......the budget is used for other things such as curriculam materials etc....

<div class='quotemain'>

Hi, I'm new here. Was just wondering if we can order the manual online?

Earp? Is that "the" Earp of my past?

I was never sure what that "other" line was for. We got our manuals and this one is pretty good. I spent about an hour reading it yesterday and it's very interesting so far... I didn't get to finish the last one, though. I've never heard of anyone donating money for those. How much do you think they cost to make?

The "other" category is sort of a "catch-all" category the ward clerk uses as a "pass-through" account where money comes in for something like temporary Scouting funds, where members pay their girl's camping fees into, etc, and where other "short term" funds are held. The ward finances are audited every six months and one thing they want to see is no funds in the "Other Category". You keep it empty as much as you can.

my understanding is that our budget gets stretched particularly thin meeting needs of members. much more undertandable when this is explained why the donations are being asked for.

there have been several EQ meetings in the past few months where we have been asked to did a little deeper into our pockets.

let me clarify....i should have said that this what what we were told in EQ by the EQ president

<div class='quotemain'>

let me clarify....i should have said that this what what we were told in EQ by the EQ president

no probs here....I stated what I mentioned cause I know people can loose a word or two in translation....and that could have been what your EQ did.... :)

<div class='quotemain'>

Yes, it is perfectly appropriate for the Bishop to send word to the Priesthood if more funds are needed in the Fast Offering Category. Sometimes our Fast Offering fund would be adequate to cover what the Bishop needed for assistence for some members, and sometimes the fund balance would "dip" if the Bishop had to provide extra assistence. The Priesthood would be asked to increase their contribution to the Fast Offering Fund to get the fund level back up.

Independant of that, the annual Budget comes through the Stake, and the Bishop allots it to the Ward leaders to fund their programs. There are also additional Budget funds allotted through the ward to the YM, YW, and Primary based on their attendence as listed on the quarterly report to SLC.

Many years ago the ward members not only paid for the ward budget to run the ward, the stake budget to run the stake, a building fund to pay for new buildings, and any expenses for building maintenence. Today the tithing fund takes care of most of that. The Church has asked that any member who has spent personal funds for running a ward organization turn in a receipt to the ward clerk so it can be reimbursed, thereby giving an accurate account of how much money is actually needed to operate a stake and the wards within it.