Whispering in the Temple

mikbone

Anyone have any idea where the whispering policy comes from?

I totally understand no joking around, and cacophonous laughter.  But that doesn’t necessarily mean whispering.

As I recall, during Joseph Smith & Brigham Young’s day they used to play musical instruments, sing and dance in the temple. And in old testament times they sacrificed animals.

Anyone with me in bringing back the Hosannah Shout?

592925EE-98E4-44AD-A7B3-7D7AB2F94804.thumb.jpeg.a2e5f6adb1ed625477a120041feee3ad.jpeg

Guest Mores
7 minutes ago, mikbone said:

Anyone have any idea where the whispering policy comes from?

Yes, the guy you hear through the speakers.

Edited by Mores

20 minutes ago, Fether said:

Not sure, but I have found that the loudest people in the temple tend to be the temple/ordinance workers and patrons.

As opposed to the "Angels above us are silent notes taking"? ✒️

There is a tendency among many Latter-day Saints to make light (common or of diminishing importance) of sacred things.  I believe that there are more than one or two things at play. 

1. I believe we should avoid loudness and fravality so not to distract others or ourselves when attending the temple. 

2. I believe we should leave the world outside the temples - including discussions that relate to the world side of things.

3. I believe we need to be focused and disciplined (avoid distractions) which may touch more on behavior and body language than on specific words spoken at any tone of level whenever we are on sacred ground.

4. I believe we need to prepare ourselves to be spiritually in tune while attending the temple.

I realize that respect is shown in different ways in different cultures.  I was corrected and chastised at a place considered sacred in the middle east because I was standing with most of my weight on one foot and the other foot crossed at my ankle exposing ever so slightly the soul of my shew.  Crossing legs while sitting or standing; in some places, is considered a sacrilege.   We can be respectful even if you do not understand the concern of others - it is respectful to be respectful - and we do not have to belittle anything that is sacred to others.

The Traveler