Avoiding Car Theft

pam

I got this e-mail recently from my cousin.

VIN NUMBER

Here is info worth the price of your car....WHAT WILL the car thieves

THINK OF NEXT?

The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write

down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car

dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #. I didn't

believe this e-mail, so I called Chrysler-Dodge and pretended I had lost

my keys They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me

one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted.

The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN

#, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car. He

doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw

attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert

the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle. You

don't believe it? It IS that easy.

To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape (electrical

tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label located on

the dash board.

By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you CAN cover it so it can't be

viewed through the windshield by a car thief. I urge you to forward this

to your friends before some other car thief steals another car or truck.

I slipped a 3 x 5 card over the VIN NUMBER.

Now I know this to be true because I myself have called a local dealership asking how I could get a duplicate key. Because it has the little sensor...I can't just take it to a key shop. But I also was told just to bring the VIN number and they would order a key for me.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VIN NUMBER

THINK OF NEXT?

the dash board.

Now I know this to be true because I myself have called a local dealership asking how I could get a duplicate key. Because it has the little sensor...I can't just take it to a key shop. But I also was told just to bring the VIN number and they would order a key for me.

they have to have the number for the key....but if it does have a key fob with a chip...that has to be programmed by the dealer and I think they need to have the car for that.....otherwise the key will only open the vehicle but will not start it.

<div class='quotemain'>

VIN NUMBER

THINK OF NEXT?

the dash board.

they have to have the number for the key....but if it does have a key fob with a chip...that has to be programmed by the dealer and I think they need to have the car for that.....otherwise the key will only open the vehicle but will not start it.

Nice to know because all they mentioned was bring the VIN with me. I wondered how they would be able to program with the chip without actually having the car etc.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

VIN NUMBER

THINK OF NEXT?

the dash board.

Nice to know because all they mentioned was bring the VIN with me. I wondered how they would be able to program with the chip without actually having the car etc.

I think it depends on when they started with the chips in key fobs.....some cars only need a vin# and anyone could get a key and drive away

Many newer cars (starting around 2000) have computer chips in the keys, so yes, you can get into a car, but it won't start. It usually takes a special scanner with proprietary software to program a key, and some of the later versions require you to get a special code which the scanner accesses from the car, then take that code to another computer with a different proprietary software, and enter that code to get a final code to enter into the scanner to make the programming work. It's getting tougher for thieves to drive cars away, even if they can get into them. Some of the cars I work on today don't even have to have the key in the ignition to start, but they do have a remote that has to be programmmed to the computer of the car, or you won't even get the door unlocked. Many new cars don't have external trunk or passenger-sider door locks.

Also, I don't know about other car dealers, but it is policy at the company I work for to not cut or give out a key unless they are reasonably sure you are entitled to have one. Usually that means a current registration or title with your name and the VIN on it and photo ID to prove who you are. Sure there are dishonest people who will do it if the money is right, but the industry is at least trying to make it harder for them.

I remember as a teen living in a small town, we had a yellow Olds Delta 88. One day my mom left the local grocery store, unlocked it, started it, and was driving out of the parking lot when she realized the radio station was not what she had tuned to. Then she looked around the car and realized that it was slightly different from ours. She had almost driven away in a car that was externally identical to ours, and the key fit the other car perfectly! Nowadays it is much more difficult to make that mistake.

Many newer cars (starting around 2000) have computer chips in the keys, so yes, you can get into a car, but it won't start. It usually takes a special scanner with proprietary software to program a key, and some of the later versions require you to get a special code which the scanner accesses from the car, then take that code to another computer with a different proprietary software, and enter that code to get a final code to enter into the scanner to make the programming work. It's getting tougher for thieves to drive cars away, even if they can get into them. Some of the cars I work on today don't even have to have the key in the ignition to start, but they do have a remote that has to be programmmed to the computer of the car, or you won't even get the door unlocked. Many new cars don't have external trunk or passenger-sider door locks.

Also, I don't know about other car dealers, but it is policy at the company I work for to not cut or give out a key unless they are reasonably sure you are entitled to have one. Usually that means a current registration or title with your name and the VIN on it and photo ID to prove who you are. Sure there are dishonest people who will do it if the money is right, but the industry is at least trying to make it harder for them.

I remember as a teen living in a small town, we had a yellow Olds Delta 88. One day my mom left the local grocery store, unlocked it, started it, and was driving out of the parking lot when she realized the radio station was not what she had tuned to. Then she looked around the car and realized that it was slightly different from ours. She had almost driven away in a car that was externally identical to ours, and the key fit the other car perfectly! Nowadays it is much more difficult to make that mistake.

I did that exact same thing years ago. Got into a car..started it and saw things on the passenger side seat that didn't belong to me. I looked up and there next to the car I was in was my car. Boy was I embarrassed.

<div class='quotemain'>

I did that exact same thing years ago. Got into a car..started it and saw things on the passenger side seat that didn't belong to me. I looked up and there next to the car I was in was my car. Boy was I embarrassed.

was it a blonde moment????......LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

was it a blonde moment????......LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pale Pale Pale

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

PAMMIE PAMMIE PAMMIE

You broke your resolution.

lasted longer than yours did......LOL!!!!...... :P:P:P

True, very true. :P