What is the gospel of Jesus Christ based upon?

Weaver

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is based on the Savior Jesus Christ himself. He is the foundation for the Mormon Church. Contrary to what others believe, Joseph Smith is NOT the foundation and the Mormons do not believe in worshipping him. They revere him as a prophet of God.

I for one, am grateful that Joseph Smith was listening when the Spirit spoke to him. Without him, I am sure the Lord would have found someone else to work through - but the Prophet Joseph Smith was foreordained in the Spirit World and was the one the Lord chose to bring forth His work.

I have a feeling that I know the answer to this question, but I will go ahead and ask it anyway...was Jesus the savior for all the worlds or just this one? I know that G-d told Abraham to not worry about the other worlds so, my answer is probably similer to that answer that G-d gave Abraham, but I am curious. What do you all think?

It is something spoken about in the Pearl of Great Price. I would advise you to just stick with the Book of Mormon for right now...all in good time, you have a lot of things you are learning all at once, and you don't want to get overwhelmed with it all. Even G-d told Abraham that when he asked G-d about other worlds....DING!!! I think I just answered my own question!!! I guess I should follow my own advise and stick to the things G-d is ready to teach me for now!! Thanks PS, for helping me to answer my own question!!!

Guest Purple Smidgen

Yeah, I am feeling a little overwhelmed with all this...so much to check out!! So many websites and threads to look at...I think I will just take my time and absorb it as I can...for now...those two boys are comming back on Friday and I told them I would go to church with them. Thanks for the advise, Yed!!!

• 1 month later...

I know scripture says that worlds without number were created but do we know if any of those worlds were populated?

Yes, but this is not the place to discuss it nor to speculate about it.

From a scientific point of view, one can say that with the number of possible planets that can be estimated on the basis of the known number that have been discovered recently, there is little doubt that some must have been cabable of supporteing life as we know it. If they can support life then God would surely have made use of them, if in fact he actually created them. Again, however, it is not for us to speculate on what took place there nor on how God has used other planets to further his work and glory.

Moses 1

33 And worlds without number have I created; and I also created them for mine own purpose; and by the Son I created them, which is mine Only Begotten.

34 And the first man of all men have I called Adam, which is many.

35 But only an account of this earth, and the inhabitants thereof, give I unto you. For behold, there are many worlds that have passed away by the word of my power. And there are many that now stand, and innumerable are they unto man; but all things are numbered unto me, for they are mine and I know them.

It is not for us to wonder why? It is just to accept that they are the Lord's and He wants us to spend our time and effort on bringing to pass the "eternal life" of those who are inhabitants of this world.

Larry P

What is the gospel of Jesus Christ based upon? Its based upon His teachings as presented in the Bible and the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price. AS I recently said from the pulpit during a talk I gave, our Gospel is not about Jesus Christ, its about what He taught.

The answer to this question as it pertains to us in these last days is stated in the following scripture:

(D&C 20:1-29) "The rise of the Church of Christ in these last days, being one thousand eight hundred and thirty years since the coming of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in the flesh, it being regularly organized and established agreeable to the laws of our country, by the will and commandments of God, in the fourth month, and on the sixth day of the month which is called April—Which commandments were given to Joseph Smith, Jun., who was called of God, and ordained an apostle of Jesus Christ, to be the first elder of this church; And to Oliver Cowdery, who was also called of God, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to be the second elder of this church, and ordained under his hand; And this according to the grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, to whom be all glory, both now and forever. Amen. After it was truly manifested unto this first elder that he had received a remission of his sins, he was entangled again in the vanities of the world; But after repenting, and humbling himself sincerely, through faith, God ministered unto him by an holy angel, whose countenance was as lightning, and whose garments were pure and white above all other whiteness; And gave unto him commandments which inspired him; And gave him power from on high, by the means which were before prepared, to translate the Book of Mormon; Which contains a record of a fallen people, and the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles and to the Jews also; Which was given by inspiration, and is confirmed to others by the ministering of angels, and is declared unto the world by them—Proving to the world that the holy scriptures are true, and that God does inspire men and call them to his holy work in this age and generation, as well as in generations of old; Thereby showing that he is the same God yesterday, today, and forever. Amen. Therefore, having so great witnesses, by them shall the world be judged, even as many as shall hereafter come to a knowledge of this work. And those who receive it in faith, and work righteousness, shall receive a crown of eternal life; But those who harden their hearts in unbelief, and reject it, it shall turn to their own condemnation—For the Lord God has spoken it; and we, the elders of the church, have heard and bear witness to the words of the glorious Majesty on high, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen. By these things we know that there is a God in heaven, who is infinite and eternal, from everlasting to everlasting the same unchangeable God, the framer of heaven and earth, and all things which are in them; And that he created man, male and female, after his own image and in his own likeness, created he them; And gave unto them commandments that they should love and serve him, the only living and true God, and that he should be the only being whom they should worship. But by the transgression of these holy laws man became sensual and devilish, and became fallen man. Wherefore, the Almighty God gave his Only Begotten Son, as it is written in those scriptures which have been given of him. He suffered temptations but gave no heed unto them. He was crucified, died, and rose again the third day; And ascended into heaven, to sit down on the right hand of the Father, to reign with almighty power according to the will of the Father; That as many as would believe and be baptized in his holy name, and endure in faith to the end, should be saved—Not only those who believed after he came in the meridian of time, in the flesh, but all those from the beginning, even as many as were before he came, who believed in the words of the holy prophets, who spake as they were inspired by the gift of the Holy Ghost, who truly testified of him in all things, should have eternal life, As well as those who should come after, who should believe in the gifts and callings of God by the Holy Ghost, which beareth record of the Father and of the Son; Which Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are one God, infinite and eternal, without end. Amen. And we know that all men must repent and believe on the name of Jesus Christ, and worship the Father in his name, and endure in faith on his name to the end, or they cannot be saved in the kingdom of God."

I think this quote pretty much says it all.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is based on the Savior Jesus Christ himself. He is the foundation for the Mormon Church. Contrary to what others believe, Joseph Smith is NOT the foundation and the Mormons do not believe in worshipping him. They revere him as a prophet of God.

I for one, am grateful that Joseph Smith was listening when the Spirit spoke to him. Without him, I am sure the Lord would have found someone else to work through - but the Prophet Joseph Smith was foreordained in the Spirit World and was the one the Lord chose to bring forth His work.

A of F 4

We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Compare to 3 Nephi Chapter 11 (don't get lazy... read the whole thing. Especially in regards to what Christ's "doctrine" is (and keep in mind how little this word is used in the BoM [i think only about 13 times]).

Doctrine & Covenants 20:1-29 is a good description of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

One of my favorite scriptures about the gospel was given by the Savior to the disciples in America:

13 Behold I have given unto you my gospel, and this is the gospel which I have given unto you—that I came into the world to do the will of my Father, because my Father sent me.

14 And my Father sent me that I might be lifted up upon the cross; and after that I had been lifted up upon the cross, that I might draw all men unto me, that as I have been lifted up by men even so should men be lifted up by the Father, to stand before me, to be judged of their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil—

15 And for this cause have I been lifted up; therefore, according to the power of the Father I will draw all men unto me, that they may be judged according to their works.

16 And it shall come to pass, that whoso repenteth and is baptized in my name shall be filled; and if he endureth to the end, behold, him will I hold guiltless before my Father at that day when I shall stand to judge the world.

17 And he that endureth not unto the end, the same is he that is also hewn down and cast into the fire, from whence they can no more return, because of the justice of the Father.

III Nephi 27:13-17

• 2 weeks later...

The scriptures state that God has created innumerable worlds, and have placed his children on them. When that statement is made, was the term God refering to the "Father", or to Godkind. Godkind is a term I made up - the race of all celestial beings. I think that Abraham's statement applies to Godkind. IMO, all of our Heavenly Father's children are born here on earth. But that is just my opinion.

Guest moreholinessgiveme

I have a feeling that I know the answer to this question, but I will go ahead and ask it anyway...was Jesus the savior for all the worlds or just this one? I know that G-d told Abraham to not worry about the other worlds so, my answer is probably similer to that answer that G-d gave Abraham, but I am curious. What do you all think?

The answer is in God's command to Abraham "not to worry about it".

Yes, He is the Savior of other worlds, but it is only THIS world that we need to worry about (for now).

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, John Smith was used to bring the Gospel to the American World.

Huh? I believe you mean Joseph Smith. Joseph Smith restored the Gospel not just in the America's but the entire world.

• 4 weeks later...

The answer is in God's command to Abraham "not to worry about it".

Yes, He is the Savior of other worlds, but it is only THIS world that we need to worry about (for now).

GAIA:

Pearl of Great Price, MOses 1:30-35

30 And it came to pass that Moses called upon God, saying: Tell me, I pray thee, why these things are so, and by what thou madest them?31 And behold, the glory of the Lord was upon Moses, so that Moses stood in the presence of God, and talked with him face to face. And the Lord God said unto Moses: For mine own purpose have I made these things. Here is wisdom and it remaineth in me.32 And by the word of my power, have I created them, which is mine Only Begotten Son, who is full of grace and truth.33 And worlds without number have I created; and I also created them for mine own purpose; and by the Son I created them, which is mine Only Begotten.34 And the first man of all men have I called Adam, which is many.35 But only an account of this earth, and the inhabitants thereof, give I unto you. For behold, there are many worlds that have passed away by the word of my power. And there are many that now stand, and innumerable are they unto man; but all things are numbered unto me, for they are mine and I know them.

Blessings --

~Gaia

• 4 weeks later...

I have thought about that a little myself, whether the atonement of Christ only stops at this planet or reaches out to all of them that inhabit Gods children. I've been trying to type something out for the past 5 minutes, and it just gets to complicated, so my opinion is God created many works, and destroyed many worlds, spreading his children on many planets. The rest we can't really understand. So what I think is that the atonement of Christ effects this planet only.

LOL I have no idea............................