Who Is Avoiding The New 64 Bit Windows Vista?

Still_Small_Voice

I like Windows XP and I am going to stay with it for as long as possible! From my understanding, the new 64 bit Windows Vista has software incompatibility issues and for the present time is slower than Windows XP 32 bit software. Windows Vista 64 bit software means you need the latest computer technology to run it and right now hardware technology (processors, random access memory, motherboards, etcetra) aren't fast enough for anyone to get the full benefit of 64 bit software.

Who else is avoiding Windows Vista for the present? By the way, anyone know if the program Open Office 1.1 works with Windows Vista?

I have vista 32 bit on my computer and love it. Most compatibility issues with vista is the drivers are required to be digitally signed or they won't install. That has been frustrating but not a big deal as most manufacturers are putting out drivers faster now. I'm still waiting for my video card to be used to it potential however nvidia still hasn't released a complete version of forceware for vista. Other then that its a stable platform and has some nice features.

QuorumPrez

I'm avoiding it. From my experience in IT, you need to give a new Microsoft Operating System a year or two to settle out.

With Double Data Rate 2 (DDR2) Random Access Memory having speeds of 1066 megahertz, who needs more than 3.4 gigabytes of memory for a while anyway?

Wow, Windows 2000. If you don't mind me asking, what is your processor speed and the amount of Random Access Memory (RAM) you have?

I'm at the low end of the XP spectrum. About 1.5 GHz and 512 MB of RAM. I'm way overdue for an upgrade. I also like the fact that Win2K isn't bloated. I might install XP if I can strip it down.

I like Windows XP and I am going to stay with it for as long as possible! From my understanding, the new 64 bit Windows Vista has software incompatibility issues and for the present time is slower than Windows XP 32 bit software. Windows Vista 64 bit software means you need the latest computer technology to run it and right now hardware technology (processors, random access memory, motherboards, etcetra) aren't fast enough for anyone to get the full benefit of 64 bit software.

Who else is avoiding Windows Vista for the present? By the way, anyone know if the program Open Office 1.1 works with Windows Vista?

I am stuck with windows vista and I HATE it!! It really does have compatibility problems, but I can't switch to windows xp because my company can only help me with computer issues if I stay with vista...ugh!! Never buy a Dell, BTW!!!!! My fist computer and a big mistake, or learning experience if you want to look at it that way!!!! My next computer will be an apple!!!!!

I think Vista will gain acceptance after the Evil Empire has monetarily persuaded game developers into supporting a Vista only environment. If not for games or Microsoft Office, why would anyone even go with an MS operating system when the Lord's Linux is available? The answer is: We gotta have games, but Vista does not do that as well as XP. Too much fear, uncertainty and doubt with Vista. :P

I think Vista will gain acceptance after the Evil Empire has monetarily persuaded game developers into supporting a Vista only environment. If not for games or Microsoft Office, why would anyone even go with an MS operating system when the Lord's Linux is available? The answer is: We gotta have games, but Vista does not do that as well as XP. Too much fear, uncertainty and doubt with Vista. :P

I don't do vidieo games so I would not know what you are talking about, but I am frustrated with the trouble I have sinking my music to my creative zen. I can download songs off of urge, then I can't sink them...it is very annoying!!! I had to get a friend of mine at church to sink all the scriptures and Jesus The Christ and other stuff from the church website to my ZEn because I could not do it...I HATE windows Vista!!! What a pain!!!! :angry:

I'm happy with XP, but I've seen a Vista slideshow and I like how you can make the pictures zoom in and out. Other than that, I don't know of any reason to switch. I live in Microsoft territory though and wouldn't be surprised if I landed one for cheap (they get awesome discounts and sometimes friends offer us a deal). But I'll probably do my usual thing - Get used to the old version until the new one works out its kinks, just in time for something else to come out. That's what we did with the Xbox. I was so excited to finally buy my husband an Xbox and immediately afterwards they announced the 360. Darn! Now we have the lesser Xbox. That's allright. It works just dandy for us. :)

I wasn't given a choice, this vista came with my Dell. I just ordered the starter computer!! I got what they sent me!! I know very little about computers! This is my first one and I bought it in May of this year!!! (We had computers when my husband and I were together, but I saw those computers as the "other women" and I did not mess with them! I was too tempted to put my foot through them!) I waited 8 years after we broke up before I broke down and bought this one!! My 14 year old daughter knows more about computers than I do!!!

I wasn't given a choice, this vista came with my Dell. I just ordered the starter computer!! I got what they sent me!! I know very little about computers! This is my first one and I bought it in May of this year!!! (We had computers when my husband and I were together, but I saw those computers as the "other women" and I did not mess with them! I was too tempted to put my foot through them!) I waited 8 years after we broke up before I broke down and bought this one!! My 14 year old daughter knows more about computers than I do!!!

That's one of the problems with Microsoft. They keep coming out with new operating systems, but they still don't get much easier to use.

That's one of the problems with Microsoft. They keep coming out with new operating systems, but they still don't get much easier to use.

I've got this really cool new creative zen that I love more than my computer, now!! It ha 30 gigabytes of memory...whatever that means!! I know that I have all the mp3 stuff from the official church website on it, including all the standard works and over 500 albums and the Lord of the rings trilogy, and some other books...over 1000 photos and two movies so far!!!! I love this thing!!! It is no bigger than a three by five card... I take it with me everywhere!!!!!

Dell computers are good quality and run quite well, it's just Windows Vista that is the problem. If I were you I would uninstall Vista and buy a copy of Windows XP. All your current problems will be history.

I can't! I already asked the folks at Dell if I could do that and they said if I did, I would lose all my teck support that I get "free" for the next year!! It is not free!! I paid three times what this computer is worth because of all the "hidden" extras they slapped on it!! Now, if I switch out of Vista, they said I am on my own!! I need all this teck support and screen sharing that I get...I can call a Dell representative and he can get access to my screen and control my computer and fix all my screw ups!! I NEED that in these early days of my first computer!!!

I'm at the low end of the XP spectrum. About 1.5 GHz and 512 MB of RAM. I'm way overdue for an upgrade. I also like the fact that Win2K isn't bloated. I might install XP if I can strip it down.

I'm currently running Windows XP with only an AMD Athlon XP 2200 1.8 gigahertz processor and 768 megabytes of random access memory and it runs decently.

I had just upgraded to AMD Athlon 64 4000 2.4 gigahertz processor with 2,048 megabytes (2 gigabytes) of random access memory. After only running the new computer for about 45 days my Foxconn motherboard went bad. Shipped the bad motherboard back and they shipped me a new one that should be arriving within a couple of days.

My total upgrade cost so far is about $384. Hopefully I won't have any more problems with the new system.

You should be able to upgrade to a faster computer with Windows XP for less than $400. If you want any advice on computer shopping send me a personal message. I would be glad to help.

I'm currently running Windows XP with only an AMD Athlon XP 2200 1.8 gigahertz processor and 768 megabytes of random access memory and it runs decently.

I had just upgraded to AMD Athlon 64 4000 2.4 gigahertz processor with 2,048 megabytes (2 gigabytes) of random access memory. After only running the new computer for about 45 days my Foxconn motherboard went bad. Shipped the bad motherboard back and they shipped me a new one that should be arriving within a couple of days.

My total upgrade cost so far is about $384. Hopefully I won't have any more problems with the new system.

You should be able to upgrade to a faster computer with Windows XP for less than $400. If you want any advice on computer shopping send me a personal message. I would be glad to help.

First, I need to learn the language!! I didn't understand a word of your post except the kind offer of help...I am hopelessly computer illiterate!!! :(

Be patient and persistant, hon. I was in your shoes years ago. Just think of it like learning Spanish or French. Once you get your vocabulary down pat, you'll be having a much easier time. :lol:

Want to hear something funny? I am currently teaching myself the Hebrew language and I can quote over 30 chapters of the Bible including the 64 generations from Adam to Christ!! And I cannot get this computer stuff down!! Course...I have only been at it since May of this year...I have time to grow, I guess!! But honestly...Hebrew is easier!!!!