Favorite Scriptures

siouxz72

I just loved the idea so much I hijacked it and brought it over here. Everyone, please feel free to quote a scripture, a passage even a chapter if you'd like! And please tell us why it is a favorite of yours.

Here's mine to start it off...

D&C section 110: 1-5

1 The veil was taken from our minds, and the eyes of our understanding were opened.

2 We saw the Lord standing upon the breastwork of the pulpit, before us; and under his feet was a paved work of pure gold, in color like amber.

3 His eyes were as a flame of fire; the hair of his head was white like the pure snow; his countenance shone above the brightness of the sun; and his voice was as the sound of the rushing of great waters, even the voice of Jehovah, saying:

4 I am the first and the last; I am he who liveth, I am he who was slain; I am your advocate with the Father.

5 Behold, your sins are forgiven you; you are clean before me; therefore, lift up your heads and rejoice.

I love this passage because of the wording in verses 3-5. I can just picture the Lord standing there. And his voice. And really, can you imagine Him telling you that your sins are forgiven and you are clean before Him?! It's so compeletely awesome!!

D&C 64: 9-10

9 Wherefore, I say unto you, that ye ought to forgive one another; for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin.

10 I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men.

When I was still inactive I read an article in the Parade magazine that comes in the Sunday Oregonian. It was about the Jews forgiving Hitler for the atrocities he inflicted on them. The people interviewed were survivors, children of survivors and a couple of Rabbi's. One Rabbi stated emphatically that he would in no way forgive Hitler.

I immediately thought - oh no, Heavenly Father has made it clear that we are to Forgive Everyone, we just can not pick and choose. I ran and got my scriptures and looked it up. Then I wrote a letter to the Parade and asked them to forward my letter to the Rabbi. It wasn't until about a week after I mailed it that I realized that I was quoting Doctrine & Covenents - and that the Rabbi probably wouldn't know where I got that passage from! :lol:

edited to correct spelling

I have many favorite scriptures, but here are a few my favorites:

John 7:16-17

"Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me. If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself."

John 8:31-32

"Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

I really like the above scriptures because it is a way to gain a knowledge that Christ's teachings are true. If we obey God's commandments and live in accordance with His will, we will gain a witness that it is true.

Here's also one of President Hinckley's favorites as well:

Doctrine & Covenants 50:23-24

"And that which doth not edify is not of God, and is darkness. That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day."

D&C 101:16

Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God.

This is the scripture that answered my prayers when I was struggling with my wife wanting to divorce me. I don't know everything but I know that God does and if I have patience then all that he wants for me will come to pass.

D&C 101:16

Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God.

This is the scripture that answered my prayers when I was struggling with my wife wanting to divorce me. I don't know everything but I know that God does and if I have patience then all that he wants for me will come to pass.

I love the part that says...be still and know that I am God.

how comforting is that? :)

have I told you yet today that I love you checker?! you're an inspiration to me all the time.

After my last read through of the Book of Mormon, I found my favourite scriptures and person.

The person being Ammon and the scriptures:

Alma 26 (pretty much all of it but I really like these)

11 But Ammon said unto him: I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God.

12 Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all ethings; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.

16 Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel.

35 Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all power, all wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.

36 Now if this is boasting, even so will I boast; for this is my life and my light, my joy and my salvation, and my redemption from everlasting wo. Yea, blessed is the name of my God, who has been mindful of this people, who are a branch of the tree of Israel, and has been lost from its body in a strange land; yea, I say, blessed be the name of my God, who has been mindful of us, wanderers in a strange land.

37 Now my brethren, we see that God is mindful of every bpeople, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy, and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever. Amen.

This scripture always gives me comfort when I am worried about making ends meet.

Matthew 6

28 And why take ye thought for raiment? aConsider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, ashall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little bfaith?

31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father aknoweth that ye have need of all these things.

33 aBut bseek ye first the ckingdom of God, and his drighteousness; and all these ethings shall be fadded unto you.

34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take athought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

The bolded part is my favorite.

My favorite Book of the Bible is the Book of Romans.

My favorite passage is Romans 12:1-2

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to the world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

I just loved the idea so much I hijacked it and brought it over here. Everyone, please feel free to quote a scripture, a passage even a chapter if you'd like! And please tell us why it is a favorite of yours.

1 The veil was taken from our minds, and the eyes of our understanding were opened.

2 We saw the Lord standing upon the breastwork of the pulpit, before us; and under his feet was a paved work of pure gold, in color like amber.

3 His eyes were as a flame of fire; the hair of his head was white like the pure snow; his countenance shone above the brightness of the sun; and his voice was as the sound of the rushing of great waters, even the voice of Jehovah, saying:

4 I am the first and the last; I am he who liveth, I am he who was slain; I am your advocate with the Father.

5 Behold, your sins are forgiven you; you are clean before me; therefore, lift up your heads and rejoice.

I love this passage because of the wording in verses 3-5. I can just picture the Lord standing there. And his voice. And really, can you imagine Him telling you that your sins are forgiven and you are clean before Him?! It's so compeletely awesome!!

My favorite scripture is, Proverbs 5:18-19

"Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth.

Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love."

That is a group of commandments I have been perfectly obedient with!!!

Guest moreholinessgiveme

I am gong to list a few:

D&C 93:1 Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am;

"every soul...shall see my face"

This promise from my Jesus is wonderful and fills me with hope.

=================

2 Ne. 9:42 And whoso knocketh, to him will he open; and the wise, and the learned, and they that are rich, who are puffed up because of their learning, and their wisdom, and their riches—yea, they are they whom he despiseth; and save they shall cast these things away, and consider themselves fools before God, and come down in the depths of humility, he will not open unto them.

Explains succinctly why so much of what God has to offer remains "hidden in plain sight" -- also a testament of how the mysteries of God are open and available to all who have "eyes to see" and "ears to hear".

=================

2 Ne. 9:41 O then, my beloved brethren, come unto the Lord, the Holy One. Remember that his paths are righteous. Behold, the way for man is narrow, but it lieth in a straight course before him, and the keeper of the gate is the Holy One of Israel; and he employeth no servant there; and there is none other way save it be by the gate; for he cannot be deceived, for the Lord God is his name.

My salvation is deeply personal, between myself and Jesus Christ. He is the Keeper of the Gate. He employeth no servant there. He cannot be deceived. These truths comfort me, for I know that I will be upheld at the last day. Either I know Him or I don't. It really is so simple.

My salvation is deeply personal, between myself and Jesus Christ. He is the Keeper of the Gate. He employeth no servant there. He cannot be deceived. These truths comfort me, for I know that I will be upheld at the last day. Either I know Him or I don't. It really is so simple.

WOW! That was so great! Thank you for sharing! :sparklygrin: (i just love this sparkly grin!)

I have many that I like but I'll post this one:

"And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought:

But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God." (Acts 5:38-39)

I have found it very handy when speaking to those who slam the church.

I have been immersed in Proverbs as of late. Not sure why. So just about anything in that book is tops for me. But it can and will change at anytime. :D

I have been immersed in Proverbs as of late. Not sure why. So just about anything in that book is tops for me. But it can and will change at anytime. :D

You don't have to have just one favorite scripture. Post a few or just one of your favorites.

One of my favorites in the book of Proverbs is:

"For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief." Proverbs 24:17

A man or woman who is good and just isn't perfect. When they fall and make errors they learn from the experience and rise thru the power of the atonement of Christ to continue on the strait and narrow path to eternal life.

"Spiritual submissiveness is not accomplished in an instant, but by the incremental improvements and by the successive use of stepping-stones. Stepping-stones are meant to be taken one at a time anyway. Eventually our wills can be swallowed up in the will of the Father as we are willing to submit, even as a child doth submit to his father" -- Neal A. Maxwell

• 2 months later...

You don't have to have just one favorite scripture. Post a few or just one of your favorites.

One of my favorites in the book of Proverbs is:

"For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief." Proverbs 24:17

A man or woman who is good and just isn't perfect. When they fall and make errors they learn from the experience and rise thru the power of the atonement of Christ to continue on the strait and narrow path to eternal life.

"Spiritual submissiveness is not accomplished in an instant, but by the incremental improvements and by the successive use of stepping-stones. Stepping-stones are meant to be taken one at a time anyway. Eventually our wills can be swallowed up in the will of the Father as we are willing to submit, even as a child doth submit to his father" -- Neal A. Maxwell

For me it is like cookies the one I am memorizing (eating) is my favorite. The Psalm of Nephi (II Ne 4:16-34) is incredible. Also, absolutely humbling and empowering is II Ne Chapter 9, because it is so intimate regarding the the atonement and why death is such an integral part of Father's plan.

At the same time here is one to ponder upon.

"He has filled me with his love, even unto the consuming of my flesh." II Ne 4:21.

I chapter 4 we read that even Nephi battled depression for those who need to know they are not alone. That is why he (Nephi) says what he says in the most read scripure in all of Mormondom I Ne 1:1.

Merriest of Christmas to you all,

Abraham

2 Nephi 9: 41

41 O then, my beloved brethren, come unto the Lord, the Holy One. Remember that his paths are righteous. Behold, the way for man is narrow, but it lieth in a straight course before him, and the keeper of the gate is the Holy One of Israel; and he employeth no servant there; and there is none other way save it be by the gate; for he cannot be deceived, for the Lord God is his name.