American Trip

bunnzy

As any of you may know, i hvae been planning on going on a trip to Utah, leaving in a little less than 2 weeks. It is for a whole month. I am taking my 9 month old baby with me, and am going with my mum and dad. My dad has a mission reunion he is going to in Utah. We also will be going to General conference. I will stay with my brother (i think he luves in Ogden, i cant remember...) and will meet my neice and twin nephews for the first time. We will stay in Utah for 3 weeks and then head over to California for a week, staying with some old family friends who are looking after my 15yr old sister for a year.

I had been excited about this trip, bu lately i have been having second thoughts. Because i am going with my parents, i have to do everything that they want to do, and probably wont do what i would like to do. (for example, go into SF and check out the art galleries) Also, part of the reason for the trip was to go and do a live session in the SL temple. That probably wont happen now, because i am not worthy to hold a temple recommend, because of my addiction. I also have some friends from high school that i wanted to meet up with, and wont be able to, because i will be staying a couple of hours away from them in CA, and again, i will have to do what my parents want to do. I dont think i will be able to look after the baby when he and i are both jet-lagged, (it is a 15 hour flight) and i am afraid that my nephews will be rough with him also. I dont think i will have the motivatiuon and the energy (i have anaemia and depression) to look after the baby and go out shopping, sightseeing, family stuff, etc... also a month is a long time to be away from my husband.

I have been stressing alot because i am running out of time to get ready to go, and now i am wondering whether it is worth the money. Keep in mind one australian dollar only buys about 80 US cents on a good day. I dont think it is too late for me to get a refund on the plane ticket.

I can save the money and go with my husband on our own terms next year.

I will not make my decision based on what you guys say, me and my husband are praying about it, i would just like a sounding board and see what other anonymous people think of this situation.

As any of you may know, i hvae been planning on going on a trip to Utah, leaving in a little less than 2 weeks. It is for a whole month. I am taking my 9 month old baby with me, and am going with my mum and dad. My dad has a mission reunion he is going to in Utah. We also will be going to General conference. I will stay with my brother (i think he luves in Ogden, i cant remember...) and will meet my neice and twin nephews for the first time. We will stay in Utah for 3 weeks and then head over to California for a week, staying with some old family friends who are looking after my 15yr old sister for a year.

I had been excited about this trip, bu lately i have been having second thoughts. Because i am going with my parents, i have to do everything that they want to do, and probably wont do what i would like to do. (for example, go into SF and check out the art galleries) Also, part of the reason for the trip was to go and do a live session in the SL temple. That probably wont happen now, because i am not worthy to hold a temple recommend, because of my addiction. I also have some friends from high school that i wanted to meet up with, and wont be able to, because i will be staying a couple of hours away from them in CA, and again, i will have to do what my parents want to do. I dont think i will be able to look after the baby when he and i are both jet-lagged, (it is a 15 hour flight) and i am afraid that my nephews will be rough with him also. I dont think i will have the motivatiuon and the energy (i have anaemia and depression) to look after the baby and go out shopping, sightseeing, family stuff, etc... also a month is a long time to be away from my husband.

I have been stressing alot because i am running out of time to get ready to go, and now i am wondering whether it is worth the money. Keep in mind one australian dollar only buys about 80 US cents on a good day. I dont think it is too late for me to get a refund on the plane ticket.

I can save the money and go with my husband on our own terms next year.

I will not make my decision based on what you guys say, me and my husband are praying about it, i would just like a sounding board and see what other anonymous people think of this situation.

This tells me you shouldnt go, Save money and go to genearl conferance next year. {if you can get tickets?}

It would be much better to attend conferance with your husband anyway? Just my thoughts.

:mellow:

I havent got the general conference tickets yet. They tell me they do international tickets by saving them for people, somehow, i dontg really know, my parents were going to handle all of that.

I have been thinking lately that i would rather wait and just do it next year when i am feeling a bit better and go with my husband. Maybe just for 2 weeks and have my mum look after the baby and have the stepkids looked after their mum and my mother-in-law. I still am undecided and would like more opinions... :unsure: puh-leeze?

You are making such a long journey from Australia to the States (not only the distance but the cost) and you should make it worth while! If you were to come now, you are already coming miserable and with poor expectations! If you went next year with only your hubby, you probably get more out of it! It could give you time to worked out your issues so you could attend the temple and share it with your hubby. You could see what you wanted to see and when you wanted. And if you could travel without your child next year, that would be wonderful! Some quality alone time is very good. And I know that is very hard to travel with a young child, especially alone. If it was me, I would wait. Just my humble opinion! Good luck on your decision!

I'll also chime in and say "wait for next year!" From my experiences with my cousins and their children, babies under 1 reeaaaalllllly hate to travel for very long! A 15 hour flight would probably have BOTH of you feeling miserable! Add in the fact, that as you said, you wouldn't be able to do what YOU wanted to, the trip just isn't worth the cost right now!

My question would be, it's such an expensive thing to travel that far -- will you really do it if you wait? Why?

I hope you do come to SLC for Conference, now or then. If you or your husband are musically inclined, I would like to know. Also, I'd like to meet with you two, personally, since I'm in the SLC area. I met with BJW not too long ago, and I think we all enjoyed the visit. It was right before he went through the temple for the first time.

Anyway, hope to see you!

HiJolly

I can pick out a tune right handed only, and have memorised how to play a few songs (Pachbels canon) with both hands! other than that, he knows how to play a few chord of the quitar, but we are both hopeless singers (he is worse than me, however, sometimes when he singds a song i recgnise the lyrics, but have no idea what tune he is singing)

I dont want to be rude HiJolly, but i try not to meet people i meet on the internet. I like to keep it anonymous, that way i feel i can be more open and vulnerable, because i dont 'know' the people. I hope you understand. Of course its different if i knew you and then kept the relationship going through the internet. Thank you for the offer though. B)

I really will do it next year, and that way i would have more say in the planning of it, and stay where i want to, go where i want to, and see who i want to see. I am getting inclined to not going. I am still thinking and praying however, because i dont want to make a rush decision.

Hi bunnzy...

I just read through this thread, and had the same reaction as others... wait... wait until you have a better feeling about it, when you can share it with your husband, and when you may have more help with the baby... I vote wait... that will give you a whole year to plan with your hubby... and I say find time for the galleries!! Of course I would say that...

smiles from the beach...

The Garden Girl

I can pick out a tune right handed only, and have memorised how to play a few songs (Pachbels canon) with both hands! other than that, he knows how to play a few chord of the quitar, but we are both hopeless singers (he is worse than me, however, sometimes when he singds a song i recgnise the lyrics, but have no idea what tune he is singing)

Ok. I wish I could play the piano. I've tried and guess I didn't have the patience.

I dont want to be rude HiJolly, but i try not to meet people i meet on the internet. I like to keep it anonymous, that way i feel i can be more open and vulnerable, because i dont 'know' the people. I hope you understand. Of course its different if i knew you and then kept the relationship going through the internet. Thank you for the offer though. B)

Well, I don't blame you, and you're not being rude. I met bjw & his grandmother on the grounds of the Conference Center between sessions of conference, so it was pretty kosher. But that's fine. Better safe than sorry.

HiJolly

Hi bunnzy,

It sounds like you've already decided what to do, but I just wanted to mention that this might be a great opportunity for you to learn more about and to grow closer to your parents. My mom passed away back in 2004, and I cherish (and miss) all the trips we took together.

Bon voyage!