Angles

I attended Roots Tech here in Salt Lake City and came away quite inspired.  I have attended Roots Tech several times.  Jimmer (BYU basketball star) was there, and I had a chance to chat with him and his wife.  But that was not what inspired me.

The main purpose of Roots Tech is to inspire making connection to our ancestral roots and providing records for our posterity.   There are some things I do not talk much about.  With the emphasis on ancestral roots and posterity I thought to open a discussion about angles.  I have experienced the influence of angles.  I feel somewhat restrained and would point out that it is not uncommon that such visits are for the purposes of correction rather than congratulations.   My experiences are mostly centered on warnings.

I am the name’s sake of my great grandfather that died shortly before I was born.  There were a number of times I encountered the assistance of a guardian angel.  On one particular occasion I inquired who it was.  It was my great grandfather who’s name I carry.  That particular occasion was the last time I encountered him.  A few years later I encountered my brother that was lost to an accident a couple of months after completing his church mission. 

There are strong connections to families.  As I understand, the influence of our family members in our lives that have proceeded us is quite common despite the possibility that their influence is or may be often unrealized – including not realizing that many such influences are family relatives.   Sometimes our prayers are answered through various family relationships.

So I will stand as a witness that we do live in an age of angles.  I have often wondered if there are occasions where important encounters are with angles that we do not know other than a stranger we encounter during a time of need.  I am inclined to believe that such encounters are not limited to member of the LDS Church.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

I think Angles = Angels in the original post above.

3 hours ago, Traveler said:

I am the name’s sake of my great grandfather that died shortly before I was born.  There were a number of times I encountered the assistance of a guardian angel.  On one particular occasion I inquired who it was.  It was my great grandfather who’s name I carry.  That particular occasion was the last time I encountered him.  A few years later I encountered my brother that was lost to an accident a couple of months after completing his church mission. 

There are strong connections to families.  As I understand, the influence of our family members in our lives that have proceeded us is quite common despite the possibility that their influence is or may be often unrealized – including not realizing that many such influences are family relatives.   Sometimes our prayers are answered through various family relationships.

So I will stand as a witness that we do live in an age of angels.  I have often wondered if there are occasions where important encounters are with angels that we do not know other than a stranger we encounter during a time of need.  I am inclined to believe that such encounters are not limited to member of the LDS Church.

The Traveler

I remember I saw part of the Cokeville miracle film a few years back.  If the film is accurate it spoke of several of the children seeing and identifying relatives that had passed away that the children had not met, but saw during the crisis that they were in.

Posted (edited)

I have been pondering this thread and decided to post some more thought about spiritual influences.  I avoided using the term visitations because I believe the connotation of the word visitation is misleading.    I can only speak of my own experiences – realizing that there are differing spiritual gifts (Moroni 10) – it is possible to some do not recognize ministering of spirits. 

There are two distinct kinds of spirit influences.  One being the influence of light and the other that of darkness.  I believe it is extremely easy to decipher certain dark spirit influences of anger.  Some may say “you make me angry” but I strongly believe anger only comes through the ministering of a dark spirit.  I also believe that such influences are limited and that we as individuals must give ourselves over to anger before anger can be realized.  We cannot be forced to be angry – only tempted, influenced or coerced. 

I believe in the subtle influences of spirit.  Sometimes listed as whisperings.  For me such influences come as distinct thoughts.  I have learned to identify thoughts that are uniquely my own and thought beyond my understanding and abilities.   Jesus talked of eyes that cannot see and ears that cannot hear.  I believe he was spinking of spiritual influences and ministering.  It is my experience that the subtle influences of a spirit of light are most difficult to recognize if someone is not loyal to their covenants.  It is also my experience that anger is a unmistakable indication that someone is being influenced by a dark spirit.  As a side note there is a poster on the forum ( @prisonchaplain ) that I have never seen influenced to anger.  This is a strong witness to me of his devotion to be faithful to his promises and covenants to G-d.

In the Book of Mormon, the brother of Jared, because of his faith, saw the finger of G-d during an occasion of spirit influence.  This indicates to me that visual encounters are rare compared to strong spirits of light ministering.   Preceding his first vision, young Joseph Smith encountered a powerful influence of a dark spirit the bound him and caused great fear.  Yet, Joseph did not see what was binding him.

My point is that we can be visited by spirits, both spirits of light as well as darkness and not see or hear anything with our physical eyes and ears.  I do not think I can even count the times that I have felt the influence of a spiritual being in my presents, but only twice have I seen and heard anything with my physical eyes and ears.  One such occasion was while I was in the Celestial room of a temple during the dedication of that temple.

Many of us are worried about the influences of darkness in the world around and about us.  My main purpose for this thread is to raise the awareness that there are more and greater influences of light on the side of those that see light during these last days before the return of the Messiah.  If this is hard or difficult for anyone reading in that you are not experiencing comfort – I would suggest you recommit yourself (through behavior) to covenants of righteousness.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler