What to expect in RS?

Heckya

I haven't been to church since a bunch of my friends left on missions and even then I'd only go to Sacrament. I've never been to RS before? What can I expect?

If anyone knows what to expect in a priesthood meeting, I'd like that info too. My husband hasn't been to church since he was a kid and it wasn't mormon. He is very hesitant since he has agreed to go, but doesn't know much about the church. He is very self conscious that people will make him feel stupid (his childhood experience).

Currently he isn't interested in missionaries. The 19-21 year old kid teaching him religion bothers him...his words, not mine, but I understand it since I've had a few rough missionary experiences.

Anyhow, any tips are appreciated. Thanks

I haven't been to church since a bunch of my friends left on missions and even then I'd only go to Sacrament. I've never been to RS before? What can I expect?

If anyone knows what to expect in a priesthood meeting, I'd like that info too. My husband hasn't been to church since he was a kid and it wasn't mormon. He is very hesitant since he has agreed to go, but doesn't know much about the church. He is very self conscious that people will make him feel stupid (his childhood experience).

Currently he isn't interested in missionaries. The 19-21 year old kid teaching him religion bothers him...his words, not mine, but I understand it since I've had a few rough missionary experiences.

Anyhow, any tips are appreciated. Thanks

Nobody will embarass him whatsoever, they might ask him his name and where he is from, All he has to say is the truth, me and my wife are visiting and i am an investigator. nobody will make him feel unconfortable in any manner.:)

If 19-21 year olds bother him how would he feel about a missionary couple?

I know before I joined the church I thought an 'elder' should be an 'older' and didn't understand what a teenager could teach me. That was because I didn't realise that it isn't the 'kid' doing the teaching, it's the Holy Ghost and he's a lot older than 19.

I think when we are church members too we get a different perspective on age because we know we lived before we came to earth so in the ultimate scheme of things our children could be older than we are.

So, what can you expect in a Relief Society meeting?

Well, I can tell you what usually happens in ours. Someone will notice that you are new and come over and say "Hi". They'll probably ask where you are from and if you are a member. Then whoever is conducting the meeting if they have already spoken to you will welcome you by name, or if they have not spoken to you will welcome 'our visitor' and may even ask you your name then. Other people will then turn round and smile at you.

Then we have a few announcements and are asked not to forget to read the notices on the board. (We usually all promptly forget to read the notices on the board because we have a great lesson and our heads are full of that!)

We have an opening hymn and someone is asked to offer the opening prayer (this has usually been pre-assigned but not always) If you are new it is HIGHLY unlikely that you will be the one who is asked.

We have a bit of a peptalk about Visiting Teaching and a little spot of 'music time' under the direction of our music person.

Then we have a lesson which this coming Sunday will be taken by a member of the RS Presidency and not from the study manual 'Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith' (the priesthood have the same lesson manual). The two middle Sundays of the month it is from that book and on those days somebody will either share their book with the newcomer or somebody will go off and find them a spare copy. Members will be expected to have read and studied the lesson themselves at home for those Sundays. You will not be expected to know something you have not had the opportunity to study but if you do wish to participate with a personal viewpoint or a question that would be welcomed. Participation in discussion by class members is encouraged.

Following the lesson there will be a closing hymn and a closing prayer (again usually pre-assigned.) As this next Sunday is the first Sunday of the month you may also find a few minutes at the end of the lesson period have been left free for anyone who wishes to bear their testimony in a more intimate setting than in the chapel..

How amazing is it that a teenager can preach the gospel? That christ's gospel and the plan of happiness is such a simple thing that an 8 year old can understand the basics of it.

Granted there are so many facets to the gospel and appendages that are really far out there, but those are not required to have a testimony that the gospel is true and has been restored.

My wife was hesitant to go to relief society as well when we first started going, we just went to sacrament meeting.

Then one sunday, a sister snatched her away and invited her to relief society, which my wife couldn't come up with an excuse not to go, so she went, and loved it.

It is her most favorite meeting, becaus eof all the women she has so much in common with.

Hello Heckya! How are you?

What can you expect from RS? You can expect a bunch of really cool women sitting in a classroom singing a few songs, announcing events for service and play, and then a lesson from one of the group who will hopefully follow the manual. Lots of people raise their hands and make comments. Some sit quietly. Generally, the meeting will be the same if you attend in Utah or Kansas or the UK. The church follows the same manual worldwide (generally, there may be some exception to this based upon the needs of the people). I would also expect laughter thru tears. When women get together this seems to happen often! (wink and a smile)

Priesthood follows relatively the same format only with less bruhaha. They don't decorate their classrooms or engage in touchy feely conversation. But they do follow the same lesson plan and do discuss activities and service projects and gospel doctrine. A few fall asleep. Especially in High Priest Group.

Are you planning on attending RS soon? Where are you in the country? Will you be going alone or do you have friends to tag along with?

Best advice I can give, is just go for it. The church is so laid back. There are cherrios on benches and some classes are held under a basketball standard, for heavens sake! You know? You could come and sit in the back and be inconspicuous or you could jump in and participate. You could come and leave early. No worries!! I suppose the hardest part is getting there!

Let us know how it goes!!

Misshalfway

Are you planning on attending RS soon? Where are you in the country? Will you be going alone or do you have friends to tag along with?

Misshalfway

I'm in Utah. And with the small town we will be moving to in a few months going to church is the best way to make friends. It will just be me and the kids going to church. My hubby will go on the Sundays he is off work, but that will probably be only once a month at first. I am quite hesitant to go to church without knowing anyone, but I figure I can turn myself in to missionaries and have someone pounding on my door...at least that way I'll have a guide! It's a bit overwhelming (at least the thought) of not knowing anyone and having three kids in tow.

Heckya,

I am in Utah too. Calling the missionaries is a great idea! Do you have sisters or elders? I don't spose it matters. So happy you are going to start attending. It is overwhelming.... especially with the three little ones. I hope you really enjoy it.

We have this gospel doctrine teacher that is so funny...but completely full of awesome doctrinal comments and lots of spirit. I hope you all have teachers! The lessons are so edifying. More than not, they answer my prayers or help me with my daily trials. I have been a little less active this last little while. Really questioning stuff. But I am back on track now and glad that I am going again.

Misshalfway

If your new Ward is anything like ours you won't feel like you don't know anyone for long - you'll probably be made a fuss of and you and your kids invited to things and before you know it you'll have loads of friends.

Making friends sometimes worries me when it comes to attending church. I'm not too sweet and I'm not at all innocent! I worry about not relating with others. Plus, I'm insanely quiet unless I'm talking with someone one on one.