How can I strengthen my faith in the Gospel?

Gatsby

I was wondering, what are some things that you've done that have helped you keep your faith strong in the Gospel?

I used to think that my faith in the Gospel was perfect until recently I learned that I had what some call, "a borrowed faith" in the Gospel. Now, I want to find out how I can obtain a genuine faith in God, the Gospel.

I have doubts again. This fear that won't go away. When I study the scriptures I feel great but all the sudden I have doubts. Not just in LDS teachings but in God as well, does he really exist? Praying feels weird.

I have this debate going on in my mind 24/7.

Why am I feeling this way? Have anyone felt this way?

I used to think that my faith in the Gospel was perfect

Perhaps that's where you erred. There's no such thing as perfect faith. Once our faith is perfect it becomes knowledge and is no longer faith. I came up with a quote that I live by. "Fake it 'til you make it." The best way to know if what the prophets say is true is to live their teachings. Even if you don't know if their teachings are true, live them anyway. If living the gospel doesn't bless you, then the prophets are wrong. If living the gospel blesses you immensely, then the prophets are called of God. There's no in between. They can't be half right. There is more to faith than just inner belief. There's also actions that are required. Live the gospel, pray to get an answer, then live the gospel some more. Your faith will undoubtedly increase.

Gatsby, it sounds as if you've been having the same problems with faith that I've had over the last few years. I wanted to call myself Agnostic or Atheist, but when I was alone, not listening to the debates from my non-believing friends, I couldn't help but think that Jesus was real, that at least following him would be beneficial to me. I couldn't completely make myself disbelieve in God whilst I believed in Jesus.

When I wanted to re-investigate the LDS church I thought that my testimony of it would have been solid, but it has floundered, too, over the last so many years, so I am having to work on building that also as I return to church and finally be Baptised.

I have recently just return to the LDS church, and I have found that if I read and study the scriptures daily and ask for help and understanding, that my days go better. My faith, testimony is slowly building and the only advise I can give to you is to keep going. Nephi said "I must obey" when talking about the commendments given to him by God, I think that applys to us also, we have been told to study it out in our minds and ask if its true. He will answer our prayers, if we are sincere in our hearts. Just some of my thoughts, I hope it helps

Guest Malcolm

I was wondering, what are some things that you've done that have helped you keep your faith strong in the Gospel?

I used to think that my faith in the Gospel was perfect until recently I learned that I had what some call, "a borrowed faith" in the Gospel. Now, I want to find out how I can obtain a genuine faith in God, the Gospel.

I have doubts again. This fear that won't go away. When I study the scriptures I feel great but all the sudden I have doubts. Not just in LDS teachings but in God as well, does he really exist? Praying feels weird.

Gatsby:

It is likely that there are a lot more things on your plate at this time than you can handle. However, as some have already detailed, there is no such thing as "perfect faith." Your faith increases or diminishes based on your own contribution and willingness to nourish it. Hanging out with people that do not share your beliefs if a sure way to starve your faith. Ponder on what other activities you may be engaging in that also contribute to pushing away the spirit.

Read the scriptures, pray even when you don't feel like praying. Expressing gratitude for all that you have and are is an excellent way to invoke the spirit back into your heart. Do not despair. You will not receive a witness of your faith until it is tried. My grandma just to say that "faith is to look towards heaven in the dark when others are screaming and cursing because they cann't find the matches."

Nephi felt the same way after his father died and he likely experienced some murderous feeling/thoughts about his cruel, and evil brothers Laban and Lamuel:

2 Nephi 4

Hang in there

Perhaps that's where you erred. There's no such thing as perfect faith. Once our faith is perfect it becomes knowledge and is no longer faith. I came up with a quote that I live by. "Fake it 'til you make it." The best way to know if what the prophets say is true is to live their teachings. Even if you don't know if their teachings are true, live them anyway. If living the gospel doesn't bless you, then the prophets are wrong. If living the gospel blesses you immensely, then the prophets are called of God. There's no in between. They can't be half right. There is more to faith than just inner belief. There's also actions that are required. Live the gospel, pray to get an answer, then live the gospel some more. Your faith will undoubtedly increase.

I never saw it that way. Thanks!

Gatsby, it sounds as if you've been having the same problems with faith that I've had over the last few years. I wanted to call myself Agnostic or Atheist, but when I was alone, not listening to the debates from my non-believing friends, I couldn't help but think that Jesus was real, that at least following him would be beneficial to me. I couldn't completely make myself disbelieve in God whilst I believed in Jesus.

When I wanted to re-investigate the LDS church I thought that my testimony of it would have been solid, but it has floundered, too, over the last so many years, so I am having to work on building that also as I return to church and finally be Baptised.

Thank you, and congratulations on finally deciding to be baptized.

I have recently just return to the LDS church, and I have found that if I read and study the scriptures daily and ask for help and understanding, that my days go better. My faith, testimony is slowly building and the only advise I can give to you is to keep going. Nephi said "I must obey" when talking about the commendments given to him by God, I think that applys to us also, we have been told to study it out in our minds and ask if its true. He will answer our prayers, if we are sincere in our hearts. Just some of my thoughts, I hope it helps

It does help a lot, thanks!

Gatsby:

It is likely that there are a lot more things on your plate at this time than you can handle. However, as some have already detailed, there is no such thing as "perfect faith." Your faith increases or diminishes based on your own contribution and willingness to nourish it. Hanging out with people that do not share your beliefs if a sure way to starve your faith. Ponder on what other activities you may be engaging in that also contribute to pushing away the spirit.

Read the scriptures, pray even when you don't feel like praying. Expressing gratitude for all that you have and are is an excellent way to invoke the spirit back into your heart. Do not despair. You will not receive a witness of your faith until it is tried. My grandma just to say that "faith is to look towards heaven in the dark when others are screaming and cursing because they cann't find the matches."

Nephi felt the same way after his father died and he likely experienced some murderous feeling/thoughts about his cruel, and evil brothers Laban and Lamuel:

2 Nephi 4

Hang in there

Yes, I do remember that passage about Nephi. Thanks for the recommendation.

When you need a sign to buoy your faith you will not receive one. When your faith is sufficient that you need no signs, you then qualify and thus receive them freely. (or better said may receive them if you so seek them - but since there is not need, they can come and go as they or we desire.)

To me, that is perfect faith when you have the belief and experience what I call "just-as-if-i-cation" just as if it had already been granted. There is no doubt but it is becoming perfection also.

You know there is a spectrum of faith.

One cannot leap to faith without experience. See Nephi's great example. He did not have faith in his father's words but first had a desire to know (have faith). Even if one believe is is not yet faith (See Denver Snuffs book "The Second Comforter"). For without action there can be no faith. That is why in the Gospel so many say they believe the church is true, and so they do, but they will not give a prayer, a talk, or accept a calling. Their belief is not yet faith since without action it is idle. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say, that even as the Savior progressed line upoon line so must we if we are going to perfect our faith in the Savior Jesus Christ. Remember faith is belief but belief is not faith.

Desire - Hope - Belief - Action - Faith - leads to degrees of Knowledge

Abraham

When you need a sign to buoy your faith you will not receive one. When your faith is sufficient that you need no signs, you then qualify and thus receive them freely. (or better said may receive them if you so seek them - but since there is not need, they can come and go as they or we desire.)

To me, that is perfect faith when you have the belief and experience what I call "just-as-if-i-cation" just as if it had already been granted. There is no doubt but it is becoming perfection also.

You know there is a spectrum of faith.

One cannot leap to faith without experience. See Nephi's great example. He did not have faith in his father's words but first had a desire to know (have faith). Even if one believe is is not yet faith (See Denver Snuffs book "The Second Comforter"). For without action there can be no faith. That is why in the Gospel so many say they believe the church is true, and so they do, but they will not give a prayer, a talk, or accept a calling. Their belief is not yet faith since without action it is idle. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say, that even as the Savior progressed line upoon line so must we if we are going to perfect our faith in the Savior Jesus Christ. Remember faith is belief but belief is not faith.

Desire - Hope - Belief - Action - Faith - leads to degrees of Knowledge

Abraham

Thanks!

Man, I understand what you mean by borrowed faith, I think nearly all people have this at some point in their lives, I know I certainly did, I believed but my testimony was based on other peoples, like in testimony meeting i would be touched by the spirit and so I knew of the truth but untill I started reading and living the gospel did my testimony grow and become my own and its living and reading the scriptures that does that, its no use just reading them, you have to ponder in your heart at all times and never let go of the iron rod at any time, that is when you will know of the truth and your testimony will increase and it will become as vital to your life as air and water!

I see this thread as a bunch of puppies giving each other advice on how to be grown up dogs. With that, here's mine...LOL

Gatsby, none of our faith is perfect in all things. Otherwise we would all walk and talk with Heavenly Father and Christ face to face, as one man speaketh to another. THose who pretend that their faith is sufficient are fooling themselves.

Faith, hope and charity always go together, they feed off of each other. I find that when one of the areas lacks in my life, the others do too. (they are always lacking...and the lord, if im humbled enough will show me where i need to improve) usually with the charity thing. You cannot fake these three attributes. They come hard won. After many tests. They come slowly, here a little, there a little.

The point is, ask the Lord to guide you and direct you. He will show you how to increase your faith. He is your father, and His greatest desire is that we grow in faith. It is part of his plan. He'll show you.

• 2 months later...

Man, I understand what you mean by borrowed faith, I think nearly all people have this at some point in their lives, I know I certainly did, I believed but my testimony was based on other peoples, like in testimony meeting i would be touched by the spirit and so I knew of the truth but untill I started reading and living the gospel did my testimony grow and become my own and its living and reading the scriptures that does that, its no use just reading them, you have to ponder in your heart at all times and never let go of the iron rod at any time, that is when you will know of the truth and your testimony will increase and it will become as vital to your life as air and water!

Thanks.

I see this thread as a bunch of puppies giving each other advice on how to be grown up dogs. With that, here's mine...LOL

Gatsby, none of our faith is perfect in all things. Otherwise we would all walk and talk with Heavenly Father and Christ face to face, as one man speaketh to another. THose who pretend that their faith is sufficient are fooling themselves.

Faith, hope and charity always go together, they feed off of each other. I find that when one of the areas lacks in my life, the others do too. (they are always lacking...and the lord, if im humbled enough will show me where i need to improve) usually with the charity thing. You cannot fake these three attributes. They come hard won. After many tests. They come slowly, here a little, there a little.

The point is, ask the Lord to guide you and direct you. He will show you how to increase your faith. He is your father, and His greatest desire is that we grow in faith. It is part of his plan. He'll show you.

Thank you.

Guest Username-Removed

Gatsby.

It takes faith to go onto a public forum and to search for an answer. Are there things in ones life that hinder faith? I think so. It can be something as dramatic as a death of a friend, or the loss of a family member. Those are big events. However, there are also those tiny events, where we let satan creep into our lives just a tiny bit; They chip away at our faith over time. Then, when you least expect it, one of those big events happens.

So, really if you think about it, keeping the little things out of our lives that take us away from the spirit is the main problem.

Ive always found the following ways to get back to church reality ...

1) Service. Anykind just do it. Spend time time at Deseret Industries or the Bishops Storehouse. You dont need an appointment, just show up saying you'd like to help.

2) Pray Vocally. I know to many of you life time mormons this is obvious. But Im a convert and I grew up praying to myself so my family wouldnt laugh at me. I guess it sort of stuck all those years. The other day I was talking with my Bishop and just out of the blue, he asked me to pray vocally. No kidding! So, Im doing it.

3) Scriptures. Of course thats obvious too. Read them!

4) Pray about finding more faith.

The biggest faith building event in my life was when I was directed to sell my business, and move. Its worked out and Im a much happier person than before. I look back at that now and realize that was a pretty big event.

The only other thing that comes to mind is a poem I wrote for my kids a few years back ...

He is, I Am

By Me

From early in my life, I’ve known him to be true.

My Father in Heaven knows who I am.

He gives me hints and direction to both me and you.

He does this by the way he talks and teaches,

The way he touches the depths of my soul.

My spirit is moved by his eternal reaches.

The way he speaks to me is personal.

His language is definite, yet inexplicable.

It’s emotional, loving and spiritual.

Something tells me he understands every situation,

It’s as if he’s been in every triumph and every failure.

His understanding is more than communication.

I am thankful that my soul; my being, he knows.

He understands my strengths and struggles.

I fear not, because I realize that I am not alone.

How is it possible that he could be so close to me?

How could it be that he can look me in the eyes,

and say, “whatever you ask that is good I will grant thee?”

I can tell you, with everything I am,

When you pray for the right thing,

He can do nothing, but grant.

So, if your spirit learns how to comprehend,

His knowledge will become yours.

The power of you, will become the power of him.

Someday, many may bring his cause into question,

Your understanding will be unwavering and true.

I have no doubt that you will then move mountains.

Until that day learn to be caring, loving and teachable.

Learn how to hear his voice and do what he says.

After this, the strength of your soul will be eternal.

Gatsby.

It takes faith to go onto a public forum and to search for an answer. Are there things in ones life that hinder faith? I think so. It can be something as dramatic as a death of a friend, or the loss of a family member. Those are big events. However, there are also those tiny events, where we let satan creep into our lives just a tiny bit; They chip away at our faith over time. Then, when you least expect it, one of those big events happens.

So, really if you think about it, keeping the little things out of our lives that take us away from the spirit is the main problem.

Ive always found the following ways to get back to church reality ...

1) Service. Anykind just do it. Spend time time at Deseret Industries or the Bishops Storehouse. You dont need an appointment, just show up saying you'd like to help.

2) Pray Vocally. I know to many of you life time mormons this is obvious. But Im a convert and I grew up praying to myself so my family wouldnt laugh at me. I guess it sort of stuck all those years. The other day I was talking with my Bishop and just out of the blue, he asked me to pray vocally. No kidding! So, Im doing it.

3) Scriptures. Of course thats obvious too. Read them!

4) Pray about finding more faith.

The biggest faith building event in my life was when I was directed to sell my business, and move. Its worked out and Im a much happier person than before. I look back at that now and realize that was a pretty big event.

The only other thing that comes to mind is a poem I wrote for my kids a few years back ...

He is, I Am

By Me

From early in my life, I’ve known him to be true.

My Father in Heaven knows who I am.

He gives me hints and direction to both me and you.

He does this by the way he talks and teaches,

The way he touches the depths of my soul.

My spirit is moved by his eternal reaches.

The way he speaks to me is personal.

His language is definite, yet inexplicable.

It’s emotional, loving and spiritual.

Something tells me he understands every situation,

It’s as if he’s been in every triumph and every failure.

His understanding is more than communication.

I am thankful that my soul; my being, he knows.

He understands my strengths and struggles.

I fear not, because I realize that I am not alone.

How is it possible that he could be so close to me?

How could it be that he can look me in the eyes,

and say, “whatever you ask that is good I will grant thee?”

I can tell you, with everything I am,

When you pray for the right thing,

He can do nothing, but grant.

So, if your spirit learns how to comprehend,

His knowledge will become yours.

The power of you, will become the power of him.

Someday, many may bring his cause into question,

Your understanding will be unwavering and true.

I have no doubt that you will then move mountains.

Until that day learn to be caring, loving and teachable.

Learn how to hear his voice and do what he says.

After this, the strength of your soul will be eternal.

Thanks for sharing your poem and for your advice.

I have recently just return to the LDS church, and I have found that if I read and study the scriptures daily and ask for help and understanding, that my days go better. My faith, testimony is slowly building and the only advise I can give to you is to keep going.

You hit the nail right on the head. Our faith, belief, and knowledge must continually be nourished. Even the most elect and knowledgeable and faithful need nourishment. Just as our bodies need food and water to live, so do our spirits. Our spirit requires nourishment by continually praying and studying the scriptures. This is how we remain close to the Lord and how he speaks to us and gives us inspiration and impressions.

I have found in my life that when something is not right, my day goes bad or something is missing, that the missing element is Christ. That's when we feel like our faith is waning or dimming. It is because our spirit requires nourishment. We need to walk with Christ. He has His hand outstretched to us all the day long but we need to reach out to Him daily. I promise that your faith, strength and testimony will grow if you nourish it.

What is a borrowed faith? Maybe I'm being thick, but I've never heard of that term. What does it mean please?

The whole Alma 32 is good.

This is what helped me:

27 But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than adesire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words.

Also spend time with friends who believe, attend church activities, read scripture etc.