What you said isn't quite right

checkerboy

Ok I am starting this thread so that we can all get out the little pet peeves we have about the way people talk.

One example of this is when someone says, "I took out my endowments."

I want to always ask, oh where did you take them, did you have a good time?

In my opinion, you "receive" your endowments, you don't "take them out." Because the definition of the word endowment is a gift, I can't understand how you take a gift out. You can receive a gift though.

Anyway feel free to share those little eccentricities that we say that aren't quite right. They don't have to be church related of course.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. "Irregardless" is not a word. It's "regardless."

2. "Rediculous" is spelled "ridiculous."

3. "First Annual." You cannot have a First Annual. It is only an "Annual" when it is the "Second Annual, Third Annual, etc."

4. "Ignernt" is how people in Utah pronounce "ignorant."

5. "Hupper" is how people in Utah pronounce "Hooper."

6. "Nucular" and "libary" are how President Bush pronounce "nuclear" and "library." So do lots of other people, but c'mon. . . he is the most powerful man in the world!

7. When people put the period outside of quotes, as in "Elphaba is the smartest person on the board".

8. When people write a paragraph when one sentence would do.

10. When people use four-syllable words when one-syllable words would do (yes, I am talking about myself).

11. When people capitalize words they shouldn't, such as state of Utah, director of Personnel, department of Records, etc.

12. People who don't use spell check, and then go back and correct what spell check missed.

13. People who don't read my whole post and then comment on the parts they didn't read.

Elphaba

Jason reminded me of another one that I am guilty of. When writing about something you heard someone say, the proper way to write it is: Elphaba said, "blah blah blah blah." This is how journalists write it, and is very formal as well.

Most people write: Elphaba says, "blah blah blah blah," and is informal, so it's not a "law" I follow on the boards.

This is slightly off topic, but I hate it when people don't use a lot of paragraphs, especially on this board with such wide lengths. It makes it impossible for me to read people's posts when they have written five paragraphs worth of words in one paragraph.

Elphaba

When does Utah not get capitalized?

Look at it again. "Utah" is capitalized. It's the "state" that is not capitalized.

Having said this, this is from my days in publishing using AP, MLA, and one dissertation using APA (for someone else) stylebooks. (I admit I'm not positive about the rule in the APA stylebook, but such a hard and fast rule would have popped out at me and given me pause each time I came across it. In other words, it would have broken my concentration, and I don't remember that happening. But again, I can't be positive. Dr. T?)

Other stylebooks may have you capitalize the "State" of Utah; however, I've never seen them. If someone else has a stylebook that does, please chime in.

But with the stylebooks I used, proper usage is "state" of Utah.

Elphaba

Jason reminded me of another one that I am guilty of. When writing about something you heard someone say, the proper way to write it is: Elphaba said, "blah blah blah blah." This is how journalists write it, and is very formal as well.

Most people write: Elphaba says, "blah blah blah blah," and is informal, so it's not a "law" I follow on the boards.

I use the present tense when repeating something which is a principle being taught - as in "The Bible says" but use the past tense when repeating a one-off statement.