Another Poll About Religon

broadway

Which most correctly describes you?  

1. 1. Which most correctly describes you?

• LDS
    • RLDS
    • Ex-Mormon
    • Investigating Mormonism to see if it is the right church for you
    • Anti-Mormon
    • Other (please explain)

Originally posted by Jenda@Aug 26 2005, 04:28 PM

Can I change my answer as I am no longer RLDS?  :unsure.dontknow:

If I get a vote on this, I say yes, and hopefully you will change your vote to:

Investigating Mormonism to see if it is the right church for you

You don't object to me having a little hope, do you? :)

And btw, I still find it hard to fathom how someone who once saw the beauty in the Book of Mormon can outright reject it later, but I do know it happens. Just seems strange, is all.

Originally posted by Soulsearcher@Sep 1 2005, 10:49 AM

I'm one of the others, so as requested I shall explain.  I am an agnostic.  to save any questions I am here because some of the most important people i know are LDS and i aim to expand my knowledge.

You'll basically only read personal opinions and testimonies here, Soulsearcher.

If you really want to know the doctrine taught by the Church, I recommend that you Search the official Church websites at www.mormon.org and www.lds.org. You can even submit questions to get official responses from the Church too.

Or in other words, not all members of the Church correctly understand or understood what the Lord is trying to teach us through His church, so don't rely too much upon what we are saying.

Plus I do enjoy intelligent debate every now and then

So do I, when I can get it.

And btw, the so-called “three-fold mission of the Church” is to Proclaim the gospel, Redeem the dead, and Perfect the saints… and our Lord Jesus Christ is the one in charge of making that possible.

Or in other words, the Church is for the perfecting of the saints, not for [only] perfect saints, and the need for the true Church will always exist “till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: (Ephesians 4:13)

And the way I see it, the need for the true church of Christ will exist forever.

Originally posted by Soulsearcher@ September 1, 2005, 01:40 PM

I have a belief that true faith will always be needed, I'm not sure about the need for churchs in and of themselves. I find the second you get more than one person thinking they know a truth that can not be proven to another group of people who hold claim to the truth, only discord can come of it.

Yes, faith will always exist, since “faith” is simply another word for “assurance” and we will always be assured that something is true even when we find out what truly is. And btw, I refer to an assurance from God with a capital F, to distinguish an assurance from Him from the assurance of another person or group of people.

And for another btw, keep in mind that a church originally referred to a group of people, not a building, although the definition of that word is now corrupt enough so that it can also refer to the building.

Redeeming of the dead might be one of my strongest challenges with the LDS church. Not the practice itself, but the fact that the church does not always have permission, or openly seeks to redeem those that it knows would not seek this "blessing".

The work we do for the dead is not binding on the individual we do the work for unless or until the person accepts the work that was done in their behalf… just as the atonement is not binding on anyone who does not want to accept that.

I think the reason I left the mainstream(and christianity) is the lack of acceptance of others ideas. I was tired of hearing that the devout non christian was going to hell only cause he was a non christian.

Yeah, I wasn’t satisfied with that idea either, back when I was a member of another church, and the “I’m sure Jesus will take care of it somehow” idea wasn’t much better, until I heard and found out about how our Lord had already taken care of that problem.

I guess I should make it clear that I am not here to investigate so much as expand my knowledge base.

Heh, what’s the difference?

Though I think I will look forward to more exchanges with you Ray.

Well met, Soulsearcher, and I look forward to more intelligent conversations with you too... although I am trying to break what seems to be an addiction to this website. :)

I rarely speak of a church as a building. I, like you know the intended meaning of the word and that is where my lack of faith in churches comes from. Man by nature is flawed so there for any church is flawed. I'm not speaking against the core ideals, just the people who hold them. Nothing personal of course.

I see better now about what you meant before. And yes, of course, all churches are flawed, including the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, simply because there are all kinds of people in every group. Or in other words, there’s a bad apple in every bunch, with some bunches having lots and lots of bad apples. Or in other words, the wheat is growing among the tares, even in the Church, but that doesn’t necessarily mean there isn’t a church or a group of people on this Earth who could have all of the truth and all of the commandments our Lord wants us to know about.

So at this point you have two choices. You can believe:

there is no true church of Christ on this Earth, meaning there is no group of people with all of the truth and all of the commandments Christ has given us, or

there is a true church of Christ on this Earth, meaning there is a group of people with all of the truth and all of the commandments Christ has given us.

And the option that there is more than one true church of Christ on this Earth is obviously wrong or not an option because if more than one group of people has all of the truth and all of the commandments our Lord has given us, then they are all the same Church because they all have the same things.

And btw, I testify that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true church of Christ on Earth.

I am up to date with the rituals for the dead and though it is not binding, it is not only the spirit of the dead I am worried about. I have seen LDS members go against the wishes of the survivors and do the baptism anyways. I fear more for the well being of the living as the soul already has more than enough guidance.

If one person tells another person what to do or not do, without being asked for their counsel, that person has overstepped his bounds because that person has no right to tell someone else what to do or not do. A person who does such a thing is trying to be a lord over someone else, which no person ever has the right to presume on any occasion without that other person’s consent. Not even Jesus Christ is our Lord unless we choose to serve Him, and when He speaks as our Lord it is only to people who have chosen Him to be in that position.

And btw, I experienced the same type of situation when my grandmother told me she didn’t ever want anyone to be baptized for her or anyone else in our family, and fortunately I never had to disregard her counsel because by the time I got ready to get that work done for her, somebody else had already done it. And it was a very sensitive issue for me, because I believe I should honor the counsel from my parents and grandparents because my Lord has told me to honor my parents and I try to honor my Lord by obeying Him. But since then, my Lord has shown me that my grandmother had no right to tell me that, because that was not within the scope of her authority or parental rights.

I hold true that no matter what faith a person follows that if they try to uphold that which they hold as good and are true to themselves, then they shall be rewarded after death. I am aware of a few LDS members with current recommends that do not fall into this space, and so the question is raised will those who can pull the wool over everyones eyes get away with it?

First of all, nobody is going to pull the wool over the eyes of my Lord, and He will sort everybody out when He feels good and ready.

Secondly, the idea that people will be rewarded for whatever religion they want to make up doesn’t make sense to me, because who do they expect will give them a reward?

Do you honestly believe that any God will reward a person for believing whatever they want to believe or doing whatever they want to do?

I have found that when the term "investigator" is used around the LDS it gives the hope of conversion. I have had more than my share of time around LDS members, and while my opinion has risen quite a bit, there is no chance that i can be brought into the fold. That is how I mark the difference.

No chance, huh? We’ll see about that, and I’ll never even ask you. I believe every person should show that they want to be a member of our Church, and that they’re ready to be a member, otherwise becoming a member doesn’t do them much good.

Thanks again Ray and i shall wish you luck on breaking you addiction.

My next attempt to break my addiction will commence at 5PM Pacific Time tomorrow evening, September 2nd 2005. If successful, I won’t be back for at least a month.

Originally posted by Ray+Sep 1 2005, 12:03 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Jenda@Aug 26 2005, 04:28 PM

And btw, I still find it hard to fathom how someone who once saw the beauty in the Book of Mormon can outright reject it later, but I do know it happens. Just seems strange, is all.

:)

Outright rejection might be a bit harsh of a statement. There are still some beautiful passages in it, and whoever wrote it, wrote, at least, some of it under inspiration, I just no longer accept it as scripture.

Thanks for your concern, Ray. 'Tis much appreciated. :)

Guest gramps25

<_< In the voting as to which belief I espouse, I am a fifth generation member of the Church of Jesus Christ, however, my views do not apparently agree with other members of the Church of even some General Authorities, which I have the deepest love and respect for.

I only went to high school and right after joined the military only to take a long vacation in Korea during the 50s. However, I couldn't be taking the teaching differently then the way they were explained by Joseph Smith. Besides all that, I am firm in my belief, that the Church, at least the way it was established, and having a true prophet of God today, I know to be true with all my heart.

I love our scriptures, but I have found some very contradictive teachings in the scriptures and other quotes from the prophet Joseph Smith and Brigham Young, which apparently the church does not accept today, which I do. In fact, nothing makes more sense to me then some of the teachings of those two great men.

I will only provide this site with those teachings I do not accept by e-mail, if anyone is interested. But I will not ever teach against my religion which God Himself, has told me it's true.

I do know that every LDS person does not have the possibility of knowing the truth of all things, they have the REsponsibility of knowing. I know it's possible for I know that God has shared with me answers to questions that could not be received from anywhere else. Now I don't mean that I ever had the authority of power to prophecy, I can only receive answers from questions about the meaning of prophecy. In other words, we can know the meaning of all scripture.

• 2 weeks later...

Originally posted by Soulsearcher@Sep 1 2005, 03:40 PM

I have a belief that true faith will always be needed, I'm not sure about the need for churchs in and of themselves.  I find the second you get more than one person thinking they know a truth that can not be proven to another group of people who hold claim to the truth, only discord can come of it.

Redeeming of the dead might be one of my strongest challenges with the LDS church.  Not the practice itself, but the fact that the church does not always have permission, or openly seeks to redeem those that it knows would not seek this "blessing".

I think the reason I left the mainstream(and christianity) is the lack of acceptance of others ideas.  I was tired of hearing that the devout non christian was going to hell ony cause he was a non christian.

I guess I should make it clear that I am not here to investigate so much as expand my knowledge base.

Though I thinkI  will look forward to more exchanges with you Ray.

• 2 weeks later...

Originally posted by Maureen+Sep 1 2005, 02:08 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-T'Pau@Aug 26 2005, 02:50 PM

I voted for RLDS  or as we  are called now, Community of Christ.

I also like Buddhism though.

Cheers,

T'Pau

Hey T'Pau - it's been a long time since we've heard from you. How have you been? What's new?

M.

It has been awhile. I got an e-mail about this board so I came back for a look.

As far as the church goes, honestly, I have been studying Buddhist meditation for 2 years now and attending a few Dharma groups around here. I really like the teachings and the meditation has helped me a lot. The question has been, do I become a Buddhist or stay a Christian? And the answer I have come up with is that I am a Christian; but, some of the tools of Buddhism can help me be a better person.

It has been an interesting faith journey.

I am very involved with several inter-faith movements promoting dialogue amongst religions. I just attended one last weekend which was an excellent experience and I am attending another at our Temple in Independence, Missouri in November.

I am doing well. Thank You. :)

Hi brethren !

Just to participate, I believe what you all think in this matter, although i have a different point of view toward the "Church'. The need for its principles will endure for ever, and even when people get exalted they will continue it through their "works and worlds made', so they can too exalt their own spiritual children, as our Prophets teach. But a Seventy once told me that the Church per se will not exist for ever as to us is implied. If you see, the three purposes of the church are purposes that will be completely acomplished when this earth comes to its end to be celestialized. The organization there will be a patriarcal one, no Prophets leading no one for Christ will be our own King, and we'll be all "chained" through the sealings as a eternal family one presiding the other in a patriarcal way. As the Father will preside all, and so Christ, and so Adam, and so Noah, and so... I will preside over my children and my children over theirs, ALL a big celestial family. But no sacraments, no baptisms, no many things that the Church does NOW to perfect us HERE. This all i mean towards the exalted ones, but towards the other kingdoms of glory i do not know, for they will always have to be learning and progressing (not as the exalted ones who will not progress throgh learning but will know all things and progress creating earths for their children too), and will remain with 'ministering" angels and so... This is just an opinion.

Thanks an Bye.

"If God commanded me to do all things, I could do all things." Nephi

• 1 month later...

I hope this doesn't come under the category of "gossip," but on my first day here as a member, in the chatroom an argument ensued about homosexuality. I was very surprised, because I come from a "hate" chat network, where most of the moderators ban you if you happen to be outspoken about Christianity, homosexuality, and conservative American politics. Not to mention any names, but this person was very adamant about his stance, and how he attended church in another ward from his home ward. He also stated how everything taught in the church isn't true, and that Pres. Hinckley's teachings were not altogether true. I was totally appalled...not so much from his rhetoric, which I have heard one too many times in the other network, but because of the others's responses. One of my favorite quotes is, "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything." I don't think we as active (in the gospel) LDS can afford to take a back seat on this issue, simply because pro gay activists use their positions to water down gospel principles...not even in a chatroom! One last thing...the other network, which is primarily composed of witches, pagans, anti Christians, communists, nazis etc etc, one of the self proclaimed witches stated: "Chat will revolutionize the world." As a Christian LDS American, I use my influence to counter false doctrines and ideologies.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Ari@Nov 9 2005, 12:36 PM

I hope this doesn't come under the category of "gossip," but on my first day here as a member, in the chatroom an argument ensued about homosexuality.  I was very surprised, because I come from a "hate" chat network, where most of the moderators ban you if you happen to be outspoken about Christianity, homosexuality, and conservative American politics.  Not to mention any names, but this person was very adamant about his stance, and how he attended church in another ward from his home ward.  He also stated how everything taught in the church isn't true, and that Pres. Hinckley's teachings were not altogether true.  I was totally appalled...not so much from his rhetoric, which I have heard one too many times in the other network, but because of the others's responses.  One of my favorite quotes is, "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."  I don't think we as active (in the gospel) LDS can afford to take a back seat on this issue, simply because pro gay activists use their positions to water down gospel principles...not even in a chatroom!  One last thing...the other network, which is primarily composed of witches, pagans, anti Christians, communists, nazis etc etc, one of the self proclaimed witches stated: "Chat will revolutionize the world."  As a Christian LDS American, I use my influence to counter false doctrines and ideologies.

Sounds like you are doing what you can...

Originally posted by broadway@Jun 12 2004, 09:10 AM

ok, fess up. Who answered as "Anti-Mormon"? <_<

:ahhh: It wasn't me...I swear! Well, :dontknow: actually I don't swear...but... :tinfoil: you know what I mean.

Nobody wants to come to an LDS site and say, "I'm anti-LDS." However, if one does not commit to the LDS church, what is he? "Seperated bretheren" like the Pope described Protestants? All these ramblings to say that this particular poll is a touchy one for non-LDS to answer. :ph34r:

Originally posted by prisonchaplain+Nov 10 2005, 09:10 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-broadway@Jun 12 2004, 09:10 AM

ok, fess up. Who answered as "Anti-Mormon"? <_<

:ahhh: It wasn't me...I swear! Well, :dontknow: actually I don't swear...but... :tinfoil: you know what I mean.

Nobody wants to come to an LDS site and say, "I'm anti-LDS." However, if one does not commit to the LDS church, what is he? "Seperated bretheren" like the Pope described Protestants? All these ramblings to say that this particular poll is a touchy one for non-LDS to answer. :ph34r:

Their called friends.........(who arent mormons LOL)

• 1 month later...

Originally posted by Jenda+Sep 3 2005, 06:09 AM-->

Originally posted by Ray@Sep 1 2005, 12:03 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Jenda@Aug 26 2005, 04:28 PM

:)

Outright rejection might be a bit harsh of a statement. There are still some beautiful passages in it, and whoever wrote it, wrote, at least, some of it under inspiration, I just no longer accept it as scripture.

Thanks for your concern, Ray. 'Tis much appreciated. :)

Have you been hanging around Calvinists? That usually is what happems before someone leaves the true Church or semi-true Church (depending on POV)