Missionary Meetings

aclaire11

I've been seeing the missionaries and attending an LDS church since before my Christmas break (this is while I'm at school, not at home). I was almost sure that I was going to get baptised, but then over spring break I went back to Mass, started praying the rosary again, etc. And I felt just as good doing that as when I had been going to the LDS church. And it was actually easier for me to refrain from sin.

So the missionaries keep asking me how I "feel" after going to the LDS church, reading the BOM, and having the meetings. Like this is supposed to be some sort of indicator. Well most of the time I actually feel worse because I get all confused and stressed out when I wonder if maybe the LDS church IS right.

I mean, before spring break I was so sure about the LDS church, but right after that when I was home and didn't see the missionaries or read the BOM I was sure about the Catholic Church.

And is "feeling good/happy" really a good basis for choosing a religion? Some of the nicest, kindest, happiest people I know are Catholics, some are Evangelicals, and some are LDS.

How do I sort this all out?

each person really has to find where they are happy. i was happy and felt good being baptist. but knew that i really wasn't doing what would make heavenly father happy by staying in a religion that i knew didn't agree with some doctrinal issues that i had about life before earth or after. sometimes the hardest way is the correct way. i would say that your best bet would to be read the moroni's prayer and ask sincerly what heavenly father would like you to do and where he wants you to be at

What made you so sure about the Book of Mormon in the first place? What was it that really made the difference? That is where I recommend starting from again.

Everyone can feel the influence of the Spirit when they are living their lives in harmony with the Lord's commandments. It is when we begin to stray that those good feelings of happiness disappear.

It sounds to me like there is still some searching for you to do. Best wishes and we are always here to help and answer more questions.

I've been seeing the missionaries and attending an LDS church since before my Christmas break (this is while I'm at school, not at home). I was almost sure that I was going to get baptised, but then over spring break I went back to Mass, started praying the rosary again, etc. And I felt just as good doing that as when I had been going to the LDS church. And it was actually easier for me to refrain from sin.

So the missionaries keep asking me how I "feel" after going to the LDS church, reading the BOM, and having the meetings. Like this is supposed to be some sort of indicator. Well most of the time I actually feel worse because I get all confused and stressed out when I wonder if maybe the LDS church IS right.

I mean, before spring break I was so sure about the LDS church, but right after that when I was home and didn't see the missionaries or read the BOM I was sure about the Catholic Church.

And is "feeling good/happy" really a good basis for choosing a religion? Some of the nicest, kindest, happiest people I know are Catholics, some are Evangelicals, and some are LDS.

I visited an art gallery today with some "altered space" presentations. The one in particular I was going to see had the room done up in a kind of contradictory woodland campsite, it was very interesting. I bring this up because while I was sitting in this faux tent made of wood and child's blankets staring at a fake campfire and a meteor shower being projected onto the wall, I felt at peace. Truly at peace. It's a big deal when you consider I can't even remember the last time I felt that way - or if I've ever felt that way. It's not that I forgot my outside worries or cares, or that I felt like I'd escaped from them; just that for 5 minutes they didn't matter anymore. I've never felt peace like this while at church, while praying, while reading my scriptures.

And on the same token, at times when I've slipped up and broken some of the commandments, I'll be feeling that "burning in your bossom" when I should be feeling sick to my stomach; many things that (the church says) should feel wrong, don't. It leads to a great deal of confusion and misdirection. The only answer I can give you is that faith is not to believe or know something, faith is to HOPE for something. I've had some people very close to me die, and I HOPE to be able to see them again someday. I'm a hopeless romantic and I HOPE to someday be married and I HOPE that my marriage and relationship will last forever (as I already KNOW that love does). I don't go to church because I believe it or know it to be true, or because it feels better than any other random church. I go because, in the end, I WANT to believe it. I HOPE the things the LDS Gospel teaches are true.

Some people are told to believe a certain thing, by other people or by the spirit or by who knows what. But I think for some of us faith is just as much about what we WANT to believe as much as it's about what we are told to believe. Don't know if this helps ya, but I HOPE it does :)

:edit:

BTW, if you want to know more about the art gallery, you can visit Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center to learn more.

If you are not sure about it then I would not get baptised. If you feel more comfortable at Mass then keep going there. Take time to decide what you want, and dont make any quick or rash decisions. Especially, dont be pressured by the missionaries to jump straight into the font. When they ask you how you feel, tell them honestly.

aclaire11 writes,

Aquinas here...

Since I have served as a full-time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (hereafter the LDS Church), and I am now a baptized and confirmed Roman Catholic of 5 years I can understand a little of where you are at on this dilemma.

I am not going to tell you to remain Catholic, or that the LDS Missionaries are trying to deceive you. What I will tell you is about my own experience. I left the LDS Church before I ever attended my first Catholic Mass, though I had attended many Protestant churches (too many to number). So unfamiliar was I with what is a Catholic Mass that I brought something along to read and keep me amused. I was busy, busy, busy the entire hour...standing up, sitting down, knelling, etc. I was amazed at how truly interactive it all was. On the way out, I was handed a parish bulletin, not sure if I would ever return (it all seemed a little strange, as it still does to my still LDS wife). I opened up the bulletin, and read an announcement for the RCIA program (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) - "Want to become Catholic, or simply want to know more?"

So, I went to a preliminary/introductory meeting with the RCIA Director one evening. What impressed me the most about this first personal encounter with Catholicism was just how open it all seemed. We were told that RCIA is a process that we would decide just how far we wanted to go, and that if the Catholic faith was not the correct "fit" for us, that she and everyone else involved wished us well on our faith journey. That was late August, 2002. This is *not* to suggest that there was no commitment to RCIA, since if one wanted to learn more about catholicism then one had to attend class, and the RCIA class met every Tuesday night (from 7 to 9 pm) every week except Thanksgiving and two weeks at Christmas until Easter, in April (that year). It was a remarkable process, and one that I look back upon fondly, as I had others that helped me along the way.

This is an element of Mormonism that I think is rather odd...the emphasis on "feelings". What makes it puzzling is that in an LDS Church Fast and Testimony Meeting what happens in nearly every instance is that a member/leader gets up and testifies that they *know* that Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God, that the Book of Mormon is "another Testament of Jesus Christ" and that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the only church with the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Question: how exactly is an emphasis on "feelings" consistent with statements of belief phrased as *knowledge* statements?

Tough spot to be in...

Since you are asking the question I will give you my best answer: no, it is not. Why? Well, I am not going to quote you a Bible verse (though I am tempted), but what I will simply state as something most everyone readily understands: feelings can and do change one day, week, month and year to the next. For example, Monday evening I was feeling very low after I experienced some setbacks at school (sigh, in my mid 40's and back in school...ugh). And then last night, after going for a bicycle ride to run an errand, I felt on top of the world and slept peacefully.

Bottomline: religious truth should never be primarily based upon subjective feelings.

I am a Latter Day Saint and not about to change but I love Mass - I found the spirit very strong in the Roman Catholic church since I was a child part of why I considered being a Nun until I came across The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, the Roman Catholic church for me seemed the best route home if I was to remain a Christian.

I still go to Mass and attended a Stations of the Cross service on Good Friday -I love Catholic and Anglican services, I also admired Cardinal Basil Hume deeply (leader of Roman Catholic Church in England until 1999) - I just love the story of his best friend an Augustinian Monk who when Cardinal Hume said he was dying said oh Congratulations, I am so pleased for you. Because for both of them it meant the culmination of a lifes work,

I am not sure what to advise except I would do both until you are sure there is nothing worse than entering a covenant like Baptism if you are not sure you can keep it - DON'T let the missionaries pressurize you at all I know they can some feel targets are more important than people. Make sure the decision to be baptised is yours and happens at your own pace.

-Charley

What the missionaries mean by asking you about your feelings.... is "are you feeling the spirit?". They are also trying to determine if you are feeling any of the fruits of the spirit. They want to know if God is speaking to your heart and they are trying to keep tabs on that as you progress thru the discussions.

I think perhaps the missionaries need to do a better job explaining themselves. It is confusing though. And I agree that emotions are not the soul basis for determining truth. Most of my spirit feelings are not emotional feelings. But with the English language.... I think maybe we need more words to describe feelings.... hmmmmm.....

You listen to the spirit of the Lord. It may come to you in a personal way only for you.....but that is what you follow. Feel good about your choices. Feel good about following God's will for you. But let the distinction be clear about how you determine truth. The scriptures.....the bofm.....search them and pray. And have faith. No need to worry. God has your back.

And the missionaries will prolly still ask you how you feel..... you can tell them to be more specific. Or to let you tell them when and if you are feeling the Spirit.

Good luck with your search.

PS: I will also add that as much as I love the missionaries, they are young, and imperfect beings trying to teach the gospel in their weakness. I doubt some of these young men are the best communicators. But God qualifies the weak things of the world to do his work. I think you guys just need to communicate a little better about these issues. This might be a good learning moment for them!!

Since you are asking the question I will give you my best answer: no, it is not. Why? Well, I am not going to quote you a Bible verse (though I am tempted), but what I will simply state as something most everyone readily understands: feelings can and do change one day, week, month and year to the next. For example, Monday evening I was feeling very low after I experienced some setbacks at school (sigh, in my mid 40's and back in school...ugh). And then last night, after going for a bicycle ride to run an errand, I felt on top of the world and slept peacefully.

Bottomline: religious truth should never be primarily based upon subjective feelings.

I'm curious about this Bible verse :)

Like Misshalfway said, the missionaries are trying to ask you if you're feeling the Spirit. There's one really big problem with this, one that is often not addressed by missionaries...

My roommate is Catholic and I talk to him about religion a lot, and he's told me that he doesn't think he's ever had a spiritual experience. I HIGHLY doubt that this is truly the case. I think, and this is the problem I spoke of, that he simply doesn't know how to recognize a spiritual experience. The Spirit is not just a "good feeling", even though that's often how people describe it, there's a lot more to it.

LDS scripture describes the Spirit feeling like a "burning in your bossom" or simply a really warm fuzzy feeling. LDS scripture also states that God "will tell you in your heart and in your mind," so the Spirit will be these "good feelings" also accompanied by a peace of mind and inspiration, perhaps in the form of recurring thoughts or a focus on a particular thought (that may or may not seem to be a direct answer to whatever your question is). There's a bit more I'm forgetting, but class is almost over....

Hopefully this helps you understand what to look for in terms of a spiritual experience or a confirmation of faith. When the missionaries ask "how do you feel?" they're looking for you to describe what I said above so that they can tell you "That's the Spirit telling you this is true". Keep trying, keep going, keep studying, keep praying, and eventually you'll get some kind of answer - not from us, not from the missionaries, but from God.

puf_the_majic_dragon writes,

Be curious no more, here they are,

Proverbs 14:12

There is a away which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

Proverbs 16:25

There is a away that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

Proverbs 28:26

He that atrusteth in his own heart is a fool: but whoso walketh wisely, he shall be delivered.

Isaiah 1:18

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord...

and then my favorite,

James 1:5

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Why is James 1:5 my favorite? Because it clearly tells us to seek wisdom, not knowledge, as a starting point for leading lives of holiness.

I was never asked once in the entire process of becoming Catholic what my feelings were...not once. I was however asked what I thought of this or that, and did it make sense.

Thanks for all the replies. I won't be seeing the missionaries this week because it's General Conference and the timing doesn't work for the family whose home we meet at. Actually I won't really be seeing anyone because the family forgot to let me know that they weren't picking me up, and I only found out 2 minutes before the service started so I couldn't call someone else. And an hour before the conference started my friend called to ask if I wanted a ride.:rolleyes:

But anyway, I'm not entirely sure what made me so certain about the BOM before. I was really annoyed at the Catholic Church because so many of the priests/bishops/etc were supporting illegal immigration and disobeying the law. (Render to Caesar, etc.) Plus I don't like a lot of the changes after Vatican II. So I guess that made me more 'open' to different churches. Especially the LDS church, because it claims

Thanks for the advice. Aquinas. I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay. I've been going to Mass still and then tonight I'm going to this youth group thing, the Dead Theologian Society, with some schoolmates.

Be curious no more, here they are,

Proverbs 14:12

There is a away which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

Proverbs 16:25

There is a away that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

Proverbs 28:26

He that atrusteth in his own heart is a fool: but whoso walketh wisely, he shall be delivered.

Isaiah 1:18

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord...

and then my favorite,

James 1:5

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Why is James 1:5 my favorite? Because it clearly tells us to seek wisdom, not knowledge, as a starting point for leading lives of holiness.

I was never asked once in the entire process of becoming Catholic what my feelings were...not once. I was however asked what I thought of this or that, and did it make sense.

Well you're right, mormons are rather touchy feely. But honestly I'm amazed that you seem to believe that this is mutually exclusive with reason and logic? I've always been taught in church that God works in logical and reasonable (though "higher" ) ways, and that we can recognize the truths of the Gospel not only by how we feel, but because they also make sense. Isaiah 1:18 and James 1:5 are both scripture mastery scriptures, which means they contain important and basic truths of the Gospel.

But just to be fun, here's a few scriptures you might find interesting:

1 Corinthians 2

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Job 37

5 God thundereth marvellously with his voice; great things doeth he, which we cannot comprehend.

Isaiah 55

9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

12 For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands. (Emphasis added)

So we see that the Bible can be interpreted in many ways, and that we are all individually lead by those things that seem most important to us. For some this is logic, for others it is feelings. Personally I find your story a very interesting one and I'd like to know more, if you don't mind sharing it. You said you left the LDS church before being converted to any other, I'm curious why you left?

This is an element of Mormonism that I think is rather odd...the emphasis on "feelings". What makes it puzzling is that in an LDS Church Fast and Testimony Meeting what happens in nearly every instance is that a member/leader gets up and testifies that they *know* that Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God, that the Book of Mormon is "another Testament of Jesus Christ" and that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the only church with the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Question: how exactly is an emphasis on "feelings" consistent with statements of belief phrased as *knowledge* statements?

Just as an aside, this exact theme was covered in General conference this weekend. You might find it an interesting read when it becomes available, it may help you understand our touchy feeliness a bit better :)

• 3 weeks later...

So we see that the Bible can be interpreted in many ways, and that we are all individually lead by those things that seem most important to us. For some this is logic, for others it is feelings. Personally I find your story a very interesting one and I'd like to know more, if you don't mind sharing it. You said you left the LDS church before being converted to any other, I'm curious why you left?

The emphasis in LDS Catechesis (that is, the method primarily used by full-time LDS missionaries) is on FEELINGS, not REASON, hence the reason that those investigating the LDS faith are constantly asked how they feel, rather then what they think. This is designed to and assists, IMO, in navigating around the difficult parts of LDS history and theology.

Curious why I left? Pick a favorite stereotype from a typical LDS mindset...personal sin, couldn't hack the commandments, etc. To be honest I think most LDS are not the least bit curious in any intellectual sense of the word (sorry, but that is my observation), and in asking such a question are more akin to someone with an idle sense of curiosity. Still, if you are genuinely interested, drop me an email as I am too busy to keep up with internet forums, such as this most of the time.

[email protected]

It disturbs me slightly when I hear about how "touchy feely" mormons are and how missionaries use only feelings to lead people to find truth. I sounds so manipulative. To appeal to peoples emotions and somehow convince them that way.

This understanding and description really doesn't explain the church and the Spirit of the Lord in accuracy. The Lord gave us all of our faculties; our emotions and our intellect. He gave us our intuition and he gave us our logic. I, frankly, use all of my faculties to determine truth. I study and learn and consider for myself. I use my experience as a frame of reference and hopefully am open to others and any experience that is not familiar as a reference point as well. I don't use logic or intellect alone. I don't decide who I may date or who I choose to babysit my children based only upon the resume. Sadly, there is more to people than the picture they paint. I have turned some away because of a feeling....a warning feeliing. And I have made the mistake of trusting people that should not have been trusted. And as I look back, I really did know something was amiss -- I just didn't listen.

Finding spiritual truth envolves multiple human devises. But with spiritual things, one must go a step further. That step involves a momentum of faith to ask Father for the final word, or tie-breaking answer. Those answers come thru the Spirit or Holy Ghost. Identifying that Holy Ghost is what is THE most important part of any spiritual quest because as wonderful as our faculties are, they are not perfect and prone to misjudgment. Father in Heaven moves thru popular opinion, flattering dogma, and emotional zeal. It lays to rest confusion and doubt. That is why applying for the companionship of the Holy Ghost is such an important part of prayer and investigation and further devoted living.

It is very possible and even described in scripture to experience an emotional response to the spirit. Peace, love, joy, etc. But their are other descriptions as well; many describe knowing things that they previously didn't. Amulek says "I know of myself". Pres J F Smith in D&C 138 describes "the eyes of my understanding we opened, and the Spirit of the Lord rested on me, and I saw...."

I am talking about revelation -- personal revelation! Which is a blessing open to all man kind who genuinely and sincerely seek the truth and who has full intent to follow whatever direction they receive.

That revelation may come in a variety of different ways: dreams, feelings, impressions, thoughts, words in the mind, remembering something from the past, new ideas, pictures in the mind, music, powerful understanding of scripture and enlightenment of ones understanding. And after one has received such knowledge, they may exhibit an emotional response. They may not. Many reactions are possible. But it is common to experience a variety of emotions AND intellectual thinking in response to the spirit. For me, spiritual communication is so very logical AND emotional. I sometimes feel very clear and sure inside. Other times I feel humbled or touched and tears may come. I have even seen some become angry as they feel it, and subsequently reject it.

"And again, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.

And whe ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you by the power of the Holy Ghost.

And by the power of the Holy Ghost, ye may know the truth of ALL things." (Moroni 10:3-5)

What is your main desire?

I was also full-time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. And I would like to share something about my experience.

As missionaries we taught the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ by the power of the Holy Ghost. It was rude not to introduce the Spirit when his influence was present. It was also so important to help people understand how they experienced that influence. We found that many had already had spiritual experiences, but did not necessarily recognize them as such. So it was our aim to identify those experiences so that we could help the learner know how the answers will come, when they do. The Spirit matters the most, and we were to teach by the Spirit. President Ezra Taft Benson taught:

“If there is one message I have repeated to my brethren of the Twelve, it is that it’s the Spirit that counts. It is the Spirit that matters. I do not know how often I have said this, but I never tire of saying it—it is the Spirit that matters most” (mission presidents’ seminar, 3 Apr. 1985, source).

The Holy Ghost is a member of the Godhead. The Father and the Son, have tangible bodies of flesh and bone, but the Holy Ghost is still a personage of spirit without a physical body (D&C 130:22). This allows Him to testify to our minds and to our hearts in a way that we are left without doubt about that subject.

Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart. (D&C 8:2)

That is one of the reasons the scriptures teach that blasphemy against the Holy Ghost is so serious that there is no forgiveness for it (Matt. 12:31-32). The true witness of the Holy Ghost is sure, and is knowledge (John 14:26). It is the type of knowledge that cannot be gained any other way.

True conversion necessitates the witness of the Holy Ghost. We learn from the Bible that the witness of the Holy Ghost preceded baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost. This witness was described as "prick" to in the heart (which means feelings of some sort):

37 ¶ Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Acts 2:37-38)

The Bible, and all holy writ are clear of the role of the Holy Ghost as a testifier. Anyone who tells you otherwise, is denying the power of God. It is the object of the devil to blur the line of understanding of this principle, and to discourage seekers of truth from receiving this witness.

I encourage you to pray ernestly to God, in the name of Christ, for him to send the Spirit to witness to you of the truthfulness of the message. How in the world can you go wrong with that? If you doubt that, then you are doubting God's ability to answer the prayers of his children. It's a matter of faith.

...I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith. (Ether 12:6)

Believe it when I say that there is a trial before the witness. This might very well be that trial for you. If you don't push our message aside by unbelief, you will know it is from God when the Spirit speaks to you. You will know it. Then you can stand with us as a witness and proclaim that you "know that these things are true".

Regards,

Vanhin

The emphasis in LDS Catechesis (that is, the method primarily used by full-time LDS missionaries) is on FEELINGS, not REASON, hence the reason that those investigating the LDS faith are constantly asked how they feel, rather then what they think. This is designed to and assists, IMO, in navigating around the difficult parts of LDS history and theology.

Curious why I left? Pick a favorite stereotype from a typical LDS mindset...personal sin, couldn't hack the commandments, etc. To be honest I think most LDS are not the least bit curious in any intellectual sense of the word (sorry, but that is my observation), and in asking such a question are more akin to someone with an idle sense of curiosity. Still, if you are genuinely interested, drop me an email as I am too busy to keep up with internet forums, such as this most of the time.

My shrink told me something last Friday that he'd read in a book. "There is a fine line between emotional experiences and spiritual experiences." A lot of people, especially evangelical christians, can't tell the difference - this is why some of these churches look more like rock concerts or stage shows than a meeting to worship God. They confuse an emotional good feeling and mistake it for a spiritual good feeling. The point of this organized religion, in addition to serving and helping others along the way, is to teach us how to distinguish between the two.

I also remember it being said in General Conference that the Spirit reveals things to us in a way that we are personally more apt to accept - for some this is in feelings while for others it's in reason, but usually some combination of both. Personally I'm open to the idea that other people can find truth and their path in a direction other than the LDS church, I'm just confused that I grew up being taught so much about reason in the church and yet it was a lack of reason that made you leave.

And dude - bad idea to drop an e-mail address on a public forum, it'll get snatched up by spam bots so fast....