Rain And It's Total Effect.

Guest Chell

Guest Chell

It is raining today here where I am. I want to light a fire and cozy up on the couch with an afagan wrapped around me and a book to read.

I wish it could rain for days and days and days because I feel like it is carthartic. When it rains, my soul becomes my focus instead of the world outside. I step back and watch as if I am only a spectator rather than a play in the play of life.

Am I the only one?

I actually agree with you, Chell. First time for everything I guess! ;)

I love the rain, and especially love thunderstorms, as long as I'm inside. I don't really know why I love it so much. Maybe the sound of it is just calming. And maybe it's because the pressure is off to go anywhere... you kind of have permission to be lazy.

What I REALLY love is snow! Living in NC, we don't get it a lot, and when we do everything closes down. I usually get a few days off from everything as a result. Put on some sweats, drink some hot cocoa, build a fire. Love it!

I'm actually a weather fanatic. When tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards, etc. are going on I can't look away from the weather channel. I think it's cool for the world to be reminded that something bigger than all of us is in control - whether that is whatever God you believe in, or Mother Nature. It's truly humbling. You can be a billionaire and be wiped out of all you own. Material things mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Guest Chell

We have that in common. I love to watch the weather. We get rainbows that we can see from our backyard when it rains. I always feel like they are significant.

Like you, I feel that storms and natural forces are at work, making me feel like there is a power, greater than myself, incharge.

One of my favorite things to do is to take my wife or son onto our pourch, where there is a big overpass where we don't get rained on, and just hold them while it rains. I don't think I have ever found a situation where I am at more peace. It is so simple but so significant for me.

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by Tr2@Jun 17 2004, 01:05 PM

One of my favorite things to do is to take my wife or son onto our pourch, where there is a big overpass where we don't get rained on, and just hold them while it rains. I don't think I have ever found a situation where I am at more peace. It is so simple but so significant for me.

We used to have a covered patio (built it in...darn it!) with a wooden porch swing....I would get the kids out there and we would just enjoy it all without getting wet..... :D

This all sounds so nice.

My husband called from work about an hour ago and asked about our day. I told him my 17 year old was watching a movie with his girlfriend. My 14 year old daughter was actually calm (she is usually a little high strung) ;) and I just felt "mellow". We have also had rain today. :D

Now if I just had a covered porch. :)

Originally posted by Tr2@Jun 17 2004, 01:05 PM

How odd, one of my favorite things to do is to take your... nevermind.

We used to have a covered patio (built it in...darn it!) with a wooden porch swing....I would get the kids out there and we would just enjoy all without getting wet.....

Yea, a covered patio is really nice. I laid my eyes on one design that I'd like to have. A friend of mine, whose house is designed similar to mine, has built himself kind of an overpass behind his back door an onto a deck into the backyard. I'd like to do the same, it would cover probably a 12x25 foot area that I could bar-b-q in the rain or snow and a place to just go and relax on a nice day without the sun killing me. I'm taking some vactation in August and plan to have it built by October. I work with a guy who used to be contractor and he said he'll give me a hand.

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by Tr2@Jun 17 2004, 10:23 PM

We used to have a covered patio (built it in...darn it!) with a wooden porch swing....I would get the kids out there and we would just enjoy all without getting wet.....

Yea, a covered patio is really nice. I laid my eyes on one design that I'd like to have. A friend of mine, whose house is designed similar to mine, has built himself kind of an overpass behind his back door an onto a deck into the backyard. I'd like to do the same, it would cover probably a 12x25 foot area that I could bar-b-q in the rain or snow and a place to just go and relax on a nice day without the sun killing me. I'm taking some vactation in August and plan to have it built by October. I work with a guy who used to be contractor and he said he'll give me a hand.
That sounds great. I really miss ours. But we are cementing in the lower back yard and covering it with a roof.....it won't have the view our old patio had, but it will have the afternoon shade and cool... :)

Originally posted by Chell@Jun 17 2004, 10:45 AM

It is raining today here where I am. I want to light a fire and cozy up on the couch with an afagan wrapped around me and a book to read.

I wish it could rain for days and days and days because I feel like it is carthartic. When it rains, my soul becomes my focus instead of the world outside. I step back and watch as if I am only a spectator rather than a play in the play of life.

Am I the only one?

Once I spent a month alone in the desert living on only what G-d provided. It was a spiritual quest. The rain I experienced was a welcome blessing and gave me a different prospective than I have had from watching rain from a front porch. Rain cleans, brings new life and sustains existing life.

The Traveler

Originally posted by Traveler@Jun 18 2004, 07:37 PM

Once I spent a month alone in the desert living on only what G-d provided. It was a spiritual quest. The rain I experienced was a welcome blessing and gave me a different prospective than I have had from watching rain from a front porch. Rain cleans, brings new life and sustains existing life.

The Traveler

That sounds like it might have been a rewarding experience for you. What did you do to survive? My neighbor is doing something similar but he will be doing it in Alaska.