who is right the lds or the Flds??

lostnfound

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay another offshoot question. I thought joseph smith did have mutliple wives..and if you ever become a God multiple wives only help you populate the planet.soooo then wouldn't that make flds more like the josepth smiths teachings??

what say you guys..

No. Because what they are practicing in all its forms is not ordained of God! Per lds.org:

The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. At certain times and for His specific purposes, God, through His prophets, has directed the practice of plural marriage (sometimes called polygamy), which means one man having more than one living wife at the same time. In obedience to direction from God, Latter-day Saints followed this practice for about 50 years during the 1800s but officially ceased the practice of such marriages after the Manifesto was issued by President Woodruff in 1890. Since that time, plural marriage has not been approved by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and any member adopting this practice is subject to losing his or her membership in the Church.

The Bible indicates that Abraham, Jacob, and others of the Lord’s servants had multiple wives (see Genesis 16:1–3; 29:23–30; 30:4, 9; Judges 8:30; 1 Samuel 1:1–2). Joseph Smith asked God why He had permitted this practice and was told that God had commanded it for specific purposes. One reason given by the Lord for plural marriage is mentioned in the Book of Mormon: “If I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall [have only one wife]” (Jacob 2:30; see also v. 27).

After God revealed the doctrine of plural marriage to Joseph Smith in 1831 and commanded him to live it, the Prophet, over a period of years, cautiously taught the doctrine to some close associates. Eventually, he and a small number of Church leaders entered into plural marriages in the early years of the Church. Those who practiced plural marriage at that time, both male and female, experienced a significant trial of their faith. The practice was so foreign to them that they needed and received personal inspiration from God to help them obey the commandment.

When the Saints moved west under the direction of Brigham Young, more Latter-day Saints entered into plural marriages.

Influenced by rumors and exaggerated reports, the United States Congress, beginning in 1862, enacted a series of laws against polygamy that became increasingly harsh. By the 1880s many Latter-day Saint men were imprisoned or went into hiding.

In 1889 in the face of increasing hardships and the threat of government confiscation of Church property, including temples, Wilford Woodruff, President of the Church at the time, prayed for guidance. He was inspired to issue a document that officially ended the sanction of plural marriage by the Church. The document, called the Manifesto, was accepted by Church members in a general conference held in October 1890 and is published in the Doctrine and Covenants as Official Declaration 1 (see also “Excerpts from Three Addresses by President Wilford Woodruff Regarding the Manifesto” following Official Declaration 1).

Just as the practice of plural marriage among the Latter-day Saints began gradually, the ending of the practice after the Manifesto was also gradual. Some plural marriages were performed after the Manifesto, particularly in Mexico and Canada. In 1904, President Joseph F. Smith called for a vote from the Church membership that all post-Manifesto plural marriages be prohibited worldwide.

More recently, President Gordon B. Hinckley has reiterated that plural marriage is “against the law of God. Even in countries where civil or religious law allows [the practice of a man having more than one wife], the Church teaches that marriage must be monogamous and does not accept into its membership those practicing plural marriage” ("What are people asking about us?" Ensign, Nov. 1998, 72).

Groups who teach polygamy today are not part of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

are you saying joseph smith did not have multiple wives???

Did you not read my entire post? My answer was in direct response to your question:

...then wouldn't that make flds more like the josepth smiths teachings?

Hence my answer, No, and the explanation. You never asked if "Joseph Smith had multiple wives". You also seem to infer that Joseph Smith taught nothing more than marrying more than one woman which is hardly true.

Did you not read my entire post? My answer was in direct response to your question:

Hence my answer, No, and the explanation. You never asked if "Joseph Smith had multiple wives". You also seem to infer that Joseph Smith taught nothing more than marrying more than one woman which is hardly true.

great post by the way..and that really cleared alot of it up for me. Thank you. I love it when someone actually gives a clear answer.

Its not merely practicing polygamy more like Joseph Smiths reputed teachings but it has also to be accompanied by the proper ordination authority. D.&C. 132 is against freelance polygamy without true ordination passed on to them keys which is what FLDS look guilty of. It cannot be demonstated that that they can claim any true authority to continue plural marriage after 1904. LDS feel they made spurious claims to authority via LDS President John Taylor to continue plural after 1904 if i am learning my information right.

An LDS website exists to challenge the authority of the FLDS and other modern polygamist groups. I have been sharing the links on other message boards i attend. This FLDS question is a hot topic right now so i keep the links handy to share.

Differences Between the FLDS Polygamists and the LDS "Mormon Church" by Brian C. Hales.

Differences Between the FLDS Pol

Freelance Polygamy is not "Doing the Works of Abraham" is i assume written by Brian C. Hales also.

Doing the

From the article it makes this point. "Phelps was excommunicated on December 6, 1847. This account demonstrates that W.W. Phelps was sincerely trying to follow Church teachings regarding polygamy. However, his plural marriages were unauthorized and therefore considered adulturous by Brigham Young." Without FLDS men being able to prove they got such authority as sincere as they are that they are guilty of adultury.

• 2 weeks later...

Its not merely practicing polygamy more like Joseph Smiths reputed teachings but it has also to be accompanied by the proper ordination authority. D.&C. 132 is against freelance polygamy without true ordination passed on to them keys which is what FLDS look guilty of. It cannot be demonstated that that they can claim any true authority to continue plural marriage after 1904. LDS feel they made spurious claims to authority via LDS President John Taylor to continue plural after 1904 if i am learning my information right.

Ummm.... John Taylor died in the late 1800's.