Why Nephi was commanded to build a ship

Guest tomk

Why was Nephi commanded to build a ship, instead of Lehi?

Wouldn't that sort of thing normally have come through Lehi, who in turn would relay the command to Nephi?

The only reasons I can think of are:

-Lehi was getting old. Of course, Noah was "old" too, and he built an Ark. Maybe the Lord commanded Nephi since he would be doing most of the work on the ship.

-Nephi was "righteous enough" that the Lord was able to give the command to him directly, instead of going through Lehi.

-Maybe we are witnessing the passing of the torch from Lehi to Nephi as far as leadership. Lehi was still the Patriarch, but was getting on in years, so Nephi took his place. Perhaps much like King Benjamin and Mosiah.

Your thoughts?

Ah, Nephi, the universal man! One of my favorite prophets.

I tend to agree with your assessment but if you read a little deeper there's more. Consider 1 Nephi 9-15. Nephi began desiring to know of all the things that his father saw. Nephi then had quite a dialog with an angel and beheld many, many things which should come to pass, including our times. Nephi was coming of age at just the right time. Notice the change of tone in chapter 16. The Family is now bigger with Ishmael's family joining, daughters marrying sons. So now there are two patriarchs. The kicker here is the fact that their hardships have taken their toll on the families. Even the valiant Lehi falters and murmers against the Lord .

In verse 9 the Lord tells Lehi that it's time to move out. The next day they find the Liahona (a whole other topic!) and pack up and continue into the wilderness slaying food.

Verse 18 is were we transition from Lehi's faith to Nephi's. His bow breaks, his brothers and all the sons begin to murmur after many days without food. Lehi begins to murmur (v. 20) against the Lord!

Nephi, never faltering makes a new bow and arrow (a whole other story) and consults his father (the patriarch!) where he should go to find food. Pay close attention to verse 25. Then the Lord doesn't tell Lehi where to go. What does he do? He tells Lehi to look upon the Liahona. So now Lehi must exercise faith (the only way the Liahona will work) and what do you think they saw that made them tremble so much? What would make you tremble if you were in their position? (I'll let you simmer in that for a while). Still, Laman and Lemuel, after everything they've witnessed, wanted to kill Lehi and Nephi.

Chapter 17 is the turning point. By this point, as you say, Lehi was up in years and may not have been able to stand up to his rebelling sons anymore. Nephi, who was chosen to rule over his brothers, withstood their attempts at his life and caused them to shake and humble themselves so that they could build the ship.

There had to come a point where the mantle of stewardship passed on from Lehi to Nephi, where old becomes new and this was the ideal time and setting. Leaving the old life behind and starting a new life in the new world where Nephi would become the ruler. Therefore the Lord spoke directly to Nephi.

This is the way I see it, anyway. Hopefully I've provided some insight.

If you look through the scriptures, you'll notice that Nephi seems to understand metalworking... He made the plates, he recognized Laban's sword as well-crafted.

It seems to me he already had experience in that general field. He was able to make the tools needed to build the ship, too.

Perhaps woodworking and ship building was an easier transition for him?

Just another possible explanation to layer with the others.

Nephi is absolutely awe inspiring. What faith he had! Perhaps it was also a sign to his rebellious brothers that he had this unshakable faith and would do whatever the Lord commanded him no matter how difficult it might seem. I love the Primary song, "I will GO, I will DO the thing the Lord commands." ......... oh I do miss being in Primary. :(

If you look through the scriptures, you'll notice that Nephi seems to understand metalworking... He made the plates, he recognized Laban's sword as well-crafted.

It seems to me he already had experience in that general field. He was able to make the tools needed to build the ship, too.

Perhaps woodworking and ship building was an easier transition for him?

Just another possible explanation to layer with the others.

I personally have no doubt that Nephi learned this from his father who traveled much. I explain a lot in my thread "A ball of curious workmanship". Hence my describing Nephi as a universal man above.

http://www.lds.net/forums/share/9872-ball-curious-workmanship.html#post174577

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tomk

Thank you, Tom. Do you ever wonder, wait, rephrase--how often do you wonder about the "116 pages"?

Not very often, to be honest. Curious what was on them, of course.

I find it comforting, the Lord's counsel to Joseph not to translate them again. As you know, the reason being that those who had the 116 "lost" pages would use Joseph's re-translation to ensnare him. "Looky here, our 116 pages say something different. Jospeh must not be a true prophet!"

I get so tired of that crap. Of people trying to debunk Joseph Smith. I love Joseph Smith and his wonderful fruits. He was so kind and fun-loving. I wish people didn't hate him so, Skale!

There was also the sealed portion.

There are also the records kept by other peoples, yet to be revealed.

It will be an interesting, fun time, when these things come to light.

My personal opinion is that all of these things are able to be made known to people on an individual basis, through personal revelation, as we qualify for it.

Actually, Nephi learned to make metal plates from his father and not the reverse.

However, I do love this thread.

The reason why the Lord choose Nephi to build the boat was due to Lehi health was failing at that time. You will notice two things happen in aiding with aging both parents to that point; 1] his friend died and that caused allot of headaches for him from his children, 2] his pestiferous two sons.

Nephi was given the task from the Lord. Yes, I could consider Nephi, 'well rounded' and add, very talented individual.

Goodly:

• Of pleasing appearance; comely.
  • Quite large; considerable: a goodly sum.
taken from:

goodly - Dictionary definition and pronunciation - Yahoo! Education

If that is indeed the actual context of Nephi's writing, I find it curious and amusing that he would say this...

I have handsome parents...and I'm large in stature. I'm sure he wasn't prideful, but it's curious that he would say these things in the context that they were written. Nephi had to be large in stature for being as young as he supposedly was to be able to do some of the things he did.

Normally a full grown man wouldn't go about saying I'm large in stature unless it was for comparative purposes.

1 Ne. 2: 16

16 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, being exceedingly young, nevertheless being large in stature, and also having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father; wherefore, I did not rebel against him like unto my brothers.

1 Ne. 4: 31

31 And now I, Nephi, being a man large in stature, and also having received much strength of the Lord, therefore I did seize upon the servant of Laban, and held him, that he should not flee.

I see in the first example he was showing that though young..he was large for his age.

The 2nd example I see him explaining it as to describe why he was able to seize upon the servant of Laban so easily.

How cool to have never built a ship... or even had knowledge about such a project and then to crank out a perfect one on the first try! With whiney and slacking workers too. Pretty amazing! And the whole making of the tools..... what a tremendous thing!

Anybody ever feel like the Lord has taught you to do something that you couldn't possibly do on your own?

I see in the first example he was showing that though young..he was large for his age.

The 2nd example I see him explaining it as to describe why he was able to seize upon the servant of Laban so easily.

Exactly. It's a safe assumption that Nephi wrote his book after they reached the new world and as he reflected, he realized that being as big and tall as he was, was the reason he was able to overcome Zoram, and also impersonate Laban. No small runt could easily impersonate a larger mature adult, much less sound like him. Reading between the lines, it's also safe to assume that Laban and Lehi were somehow related, which was likely another boon for Nephi's attempt at impersonating him. Family resemblance.

Guest tomk

How or where does it indicate that Laban and Nephi were related?

I don't necessarily disagree. This is not the first time I've heard such -- and I was wondering where this belief comes from.

Thank you,

Tom

it doesn't say specifically in the BoM at all, but I'm going by the tradition of the time and people. I'll do some digging and find relevant info for you. It makes perfect sense to me, though. I think Lehi and Laban were at the very least cousins or distant cousins. Something like that.

it doesn't say specifically in the BoM at all, but I'm going by the tradition of the time and people. I'll do some digging and find relevant info for you. It makes perfect sense to me, though. I think Lehi and Laban were at the very least cousins or distant cousins. Something like that.

Isn't that why Laban had the brass plates to begin with?

Yes, because both Laban and Lehi had the same blood (Joseph). Laban, being further up the patriarchal line had possession of it, also being an elder in the church and a prominent officer in Jerusalem with an army under his command.

It's no coincidence that Lehi and his family were familiar with Laban, who granted "the boys" an audience. Let the spirit guide you in your search of the first book of Nephi and also in your research of the traditions of the time. Consider how records were passed down from one generation to the next. Had the Lord not decided to destroy Jerusalem because of the wickedness of the people, the plates would have continued down posterity. Instead it jumped laterally in the family to Lehi, to continue the preservation of the house of Israel through the line of Joseph (Stick of Joseph).

Here's a thread where I touch on this: http://www.lds.net/forums/scripture-study-forum/10144-1-nephi-2-15-a-3.html#post187266

You can read back a few posts to read my discussion with Hemi about it.

Edit: Here's something that backs up my belief: Meridian Magazine: Book of Mormon: How Nephi Became the Birthright Son

Guest tomk

If that is indeed the actual context of Nephi's writing, I find it curious and amusing that he would say this...

I have handsome parents...and I'm large in stature. I'm sure he wasn't prideful, but it's curious that he would say these things in the context that they were written. Nephi had to be large in stature for being as young as he supposedly was to be able to do some of the things he did.

Normally a full grown man wouldn't go about saying I'm large in stature unless it was for comparative purposes.

1 Ne. 2: 16

16 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, being exceedingly young, nevertheless being large in stature, and also having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father; wherefore, I did not rebel against him like unto my brothers.

1 Ne. 4: 31

31 And now I, Nephi, being a man large in stature, and also having received much strength of the Lord, therefore I did seize upon the servant of Laban, and held him, that he should not flee.

LOL

That is why the second definition, "a goodly sum" is what Nephi meant.

See this book:

Amazon.com: The Holy Secret: James L. Ferrell: Books

see page 23 in that book.

The book was written by lawyer. He is also a member of a Stake Presidency. So -- smart guy. I think he knows what he's talking about.

Guest tomk

Hmm...not sure I'll ever get around to buying it. I may never know the contents of page 23.

on pages 23, 24 and 25 he explains that, in this case, goodly means considerable, as in, considerably wealthy.

Look up the 39 other instances of goodly in the scriptures, and you will see it usually refers to something considerable or of high station.