Movie Reviews

MorningStar

LOVED Iron Man! True there was a naughty scene at the beginning, but over all I was 100% entertained.

Last week-end I went to see Chronicles of Narnia, Prince Caspian...I thought is was great as well...even if it was almost 2 1/2 hours long! Two thumbs up!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have loved Sweeney Todd for decades, and was excited to see what Johnny could do.

Except for one major flaw, I thought he was incredible. I thought his singing was a great surprise.

However, the pivotal song in the musical is "Epiphany." Johnny hit the furious parts just fine, but where he sings of his agony knowing he would never see "my Lucy" or "hold his girl again," Johnny did not capture the anguish. This is a MAJOR flaw in the movie.

I have no sound right now, so I can't hear this Youtube. But George Hearn is the only person I've ever heard capture the heartbreak that makes the song work.

YouTube - George Hearn - "Epiphany"

I am still conflicted about Bonham-Carter. I know Burton intentionally made Sweeney very dark. But Mrs. Lovett is usually a bit comical, and I missed that.

Oh, my.

Johnny still gets me all twitterpated.

Elphaba

I have loved Sweeny Todd as well. No one is better than Angela Lansbury. It is crazy that a show about a serial killer could be funny, but Angela was perfect at that kind of humor. I didn't see the movie...mostly because I liked the stage version so much. I knew Tim would make it dark. Sounds like he lost some of the best elements of the show.

LOVED Iron Man! True there was a naughty scene at the beginning, but over all I was 100% entertained.

Last week-end I went to see Chronicles of Narnia, Prince Caspian...I thought is was great as well...even if it was almost 2 1/2 hours long! Two thumbs up!

Wow! Didn't realize the movie was that long. We are going to take the fam to see it this weekend. Everyone I have talked to says it is really good and even a little better than the first one.

I have loved Sweeny Todd as well. No one is better than Angela Lansbury. It is crazy that a show about a serial killer could be funny, but Angela was perfect at that kind of humor. I didn't see the movie...mostly because I liked the stage version so much. I knew Tim would make it dark. Sounds like he lost some of the best elements of the show.

Hi Miss,

I could not agree more. When Lansbury does that side-skip dance, it just cracks me up. I know Bonham-Carter played it the way Burton wanted, but Sondheim’s version of Mrs. Lovett slowly exposed her many layers, both “good” and “bad.“

Perhaps if I watch Burton’s version a gazillion times, I’ll recognize he’s done the same, only in muted blacks and grays that envelop both Todd’s anguish and his fury. The symbolism of Todd's frame of mind is inescapable, and I thought Burton did a great job with the sets.

I am so glad someone else on this board loves Sweeney Todd as much as I do. :P

Elphaba

Okay, finally saw "I am Legend" last night. Really good! I did note that it was an intereesting composite of other movies. It had a lot of elements of the original Charlton Heston movie "Omega Man", seemed to have the feel of "28 Days Later" -- a zombie movie set in England --and used a lot of special effects that were in "Sound of Thunder" -- a so-so time travel movie. Oh, and the idea of cold weather stopping the spread of the mutant disease was also used in "Resident Evil 3".

But what the heck, it was a good movie with a great message.

Okay, finally saw "I am Legend" last night. Really good! I did note that it was an intereesting composite of other movies. It had a lot of elements of the original Charlton Heston movie "Omega Man", seemed to have the feel of "28 Days Later" -- a zombie movie set in England --and used a lot of special effects that were in "Sound of Thunder" -- a so-so time travel movie. Oh, and the idea of cold weather stopping the spread of the mutant disease was also used in "Resident Evil 3".

But what the heck, it was a good movie with a great message.

It was based on the Heston old movie and added few more elements by the writers. Overall a great movie with alternative endings.