Interesting Mission Rules

MorningStar

Yesterday my husband was talking to a guy who served in Japan and he said his mission president required them to eat wheat every single day because he thought the Word of Wisdom required it. Doesn't it include all grain? I said, "Ok, what about people with Celiac Disease?" He said anyone who didn't eat their serving of wheat every single day got chewed out.

Man, we had some screwed up missionaries in my area. What I wouldn't give for their worst offense to be failing to eat wheat.

What are some interesting rules you've heard or experienced?

Yesterday my husband was talking to a guy who served in Japan and he said his mission president required them to eat wheat every single day because he thought the Word of Wisdom required it. Doesn't it include all grain? I said, "Ok, what about people with Celiac Disease?" He said anyone who didn't eat their serving of wheat every single day got chewed out.

Man, we had some screwed up missionaries in my area. What I wouldn't give for their worst offense to be failing to eat wheat.

What are some interesting rules you've heard or experienced?

On my mission there was a no music rule. Not even Mormon Tab was allowed.

Another example of how W. of W. fanaticism can mess up the gospel. If we focus on minutiae, we're likely to miss the main message, like the people at the time of Christ who were gung-ho on keeping the Sabbath, but missed the Messiah when He was right there in front of them. The only requirements in the Word of Wisdom are no coffee, tea, alcohol, tobacco and illegal drugs (as per latter day revelation). All the rest is person obedience, should one so desire; the minimum will get you into the temple, that's the bottom line.

On my mission, the President decided we all needed to lose weight. So he told us to go on the hotdog/icecream diet. Now, that is what I call promoting good health!!

Perhaps it was one of those things that looked good at the time.....but something he may have done differently! :)

I've heard they're not allowed to get hugs.

Exceptions are like when I hugged the guy who confirmed me right after he did it.

Edit: Also, they can hug their comps.

well we have sisters at this time so no hugs from me there but they hug my wife and daughter all the time when saying their goodbyes.

might be a regional thing like the wheat.

We had an announcement at church the other week, saying that members aren't allowed to have the Missionaries over for a meal unless they can invite a non-member friend over to be taught by the Missionaries after the meal...In my case, I'm allowed to have them over for a meal at the moment because I'm still having New Member lessons from them..