How many times is it possible to be baptized into the LDS church? Does it make a difference if you were excommunicated or if you just requested your membership be revoked?

This came up in conversation tonight and I remember being told you can only get baptized twice but I don't remember where that came from.

Thanks

How many times is it possible to be baptized into the LDS church? Does it make a difference if you were excommunicated or if you just requested your membership be revoked?

This came up in conversation tonight and I remember being told you can only get baptized twice but I don't remember where that came from.

Thanks

There is no limitation on how many but questioning ones desire to do right is an issue. However, it is left up to the Spirit to make that manifested on whether an individual is again worthy before the Godhead.

Isn't it usually three strikes and your out? ;)

2 rebaptisms would make for 3 total, so if you're keeping score it could be interpreted as 3 attempts and 3 failures. As has been stated before, I would begin to doubt the person's dedication to living the gospel if they fell into sin or apostasy so hard that they had to be excommunicated 3 times.

Thanks

I know that my brother just got baptized for the forth (4) time. We hope and pray that this time it sticks!!! :)

The answer I was looking for is that "handicap people" are not baptized into the church. They will automatically inherit the Celestial Kingdom.

Hold on a second, following LDS theology wouldn't they become "unhandicapped" upon death and thus be responsible to learn the gospel and have to have someone proxy baptized for them? Where does it say that "handicapped" folks pass straight to Celestial Glory? I thought everyone had to be taught, accept the gospel, and get baptized at some point or another.

Disclaimer: I believe little children, handicapped folks, and those who never were taught the gospel go to the Kingdom of God, without needing baptism.

If the person is limited handicapped - not mentally then yes, he/she is baptized under those circumstances. I was specifically mentioning those who have a severe case mentally and cannot repent.

Church policy, "Persons Who May Not be Accountable", mental disabilities and cannot knowingly repent maybe considered by the Bishop or Mission President as not accountable. For scripture reference see D&C 137:10 and Moroni 8:8-12.

However, what I stated, could be reverse when the person can demostrate an understanding of repentance later.

Hold on a second, following LDS theology wouldn't they become "unhandicapped" upon death and thus be responsible to learn the gospel and have to have someone proxy baptized for them? Where does it say that "handicapped" folks pass straight to Celestial Glory? I thought everyone had to be taught, accept the gospel, and get baptized at some point or another.

Disclaimer: I believe little children, handicapped folks, and those who never were taught the gospel go to the Kingdom of God, without needing baptism.

You are correct. Any person desiring entrances to the Celestial Kingdom must do all the ordinances that are prescribed by the church. Anything lesser, does not require any ordiances to be done.

My little sister died at the age of 10 from a brain tumor. When the rest of the family joined the church and learned of baptism for the dead, most of us wanted to have her work done by proxy. My two oldest sister's claimed it wasn't nessessary because she was not mentally over the age of 8.

I was closest to her and I strongly disagreed. I found letters she had written, school work she had done and her diary. All of these documents were written starting when she was about 6 until the day of her seizure that was a prelude to her death a week later.

Nearly two decades later I gave all of these documents to my Mother's Bishop and asked him to decide if she was mentally under the age of 8 or not.

She was baptised into the Church, by proxy on 24 Jul 1987, endowed on 31 Jul 1987 and sealed to our parents 1 Aug 1987. She passed on 28 Nov 1963 (Thanksgiving Day). It took 24 years -my Mother is the one who stood in as proxy for her own daughter's baptism. Mom didn't join the Church until 10 Aug 1974 and did not get her own endowments until 10 Jan 1987.

My 28 year old son has Down Syndrome and tests at about age 2 to 3. He really doesn't have an understanding of sin and repentance and I've been told by several bishops and missionaries that he was valiant in the Pre-existence and is not here to be tested and does not require baptism. He had to come to get a body and may be staying to test and teach others (I know I've learned bunches) and maybe for other reasons as well.

Havejoy,

I knew of a wonderful man who was 8 years old when he was baptized. He also had Down Syndrome with the mental capacity of a 6 year old...however he was allowed to be baptized at 8 even though he really didn't need to. He received the priesthood at 12, passed the sacrament and when he turned 20 he was made an Elder and went through the Temple. He passed through the veil into the loving arms of the Lord at 23. He didn't need any of the Gospel ordinances but he wanted them and the Lord gave him what he most wanted through wonderful church leaders. Who better to hold the priesthood of God than this humble, innocent man with no animosity to-wards anyone. Needless to say we ALL learned something from the beautiful faith of this man. No matter what he did in his life he was to inherited the kingdom of God. He loved his Savior unconditionally and humbly did what the Lord expects of all of us. He was an inspiration. Not only was he valiant in the pre-existence but even more so while he was with us. I was privileged to have known him. James Murphey 1982-2005 and angel of God.