So You Think You Can Dance and Mormons

chelsea

I love the show So You Think You Can Dance, and I have watched every show since season 2. The winner of season 2, Benji Schwimmer, is Mormon, and I think a couple other contestants from previous seasons are too. This year, they came to Salt Lake City, and over 40 people from Utah made it! They chose the top 20 last Thursday and 4 of them are from SLC. Does anyone know if any of these (or other) contestants are LDS? I have seen a few threads about it on fox.com's forum, but I was wondering if anyone personally knows any LDS contestants. I heard that Gev is, but I'm not sure. I think it's awesome that the show came to Utah, and I hope any mormons that made it can represent our religion well. :)

I think that last years winner was also from Utah (according to the SL Trib today).

My daughter is a dance major at BYU - some of heard friends tried out for the show but didn't make it.

She's going to see the show in person next week.

Snow..how long has your daughter been at BYU? One of my daughter's dance instructors has taught dance classes at BYU and also tried out last year for the show. Made it through 2 cuts but that was it.

I love the show So You Think You Can Dance, and I have watched every show since season 2. The winner of season 2, Benji Schwimmer, is Mormon, and I think a couple other contestants from previous seasons are too

Yes, Benji is a LDS and his sister as well , he goes to the singles ward in our building , when I saw him lost time he told me that he was doing some work for the current show "so you thing you can dance".

... I hope any mormons that made it can represent our religion well. :)

If you notice that this year they didn't go to a lot of cities like 6 or 8 only but SLC was one of them! My guess, each year a lot of people from Utah come to compete, so they just figured that Utah is right place to go.

I just hope that all of the people remember that they become as role-models and will keep maintaining good examples!

By the way, David Archuleta (from American Idol) is one of the very good ones!

So you think you can dance and American Idol are produced by the same people. They have noticed there is so much talent in Utah. The next auditions for American Idol they will feature SLC.

Yes, Benji is a LDS and his sister as well , he goes to the singles ward in our building , when I saw him lost time he told me that he was doing some work for the current show "so you thing you can dance".

If you notice that this year they didn't go to a lot of cities like 6 or 8 only but SLC was one of them! My guess, each year a lot of people from Utah come to compete, so they just figured that Utah is right place to go.

I just hope that all of the people remember that they become as role-models and will keep maintaining good examples!

By the way, David Archuleta (from American Idol) is one of the very good ones!

and i figured benji would marry the gal he was partnered with on the show....they seemed to be all heated up over each other...but then, you can't beleive everything you see on tv.

Snow..how long has your daughter been at BYU? One of my daughter's dance instructors has taught dance classes at BYU and also tried out last year for the show. Made it through 2 cuts but that was it.

This coming year she will be a junior. She is in the ballet dept.

Yesterday my daughter spent all day at the taping of So You Think You Can Dance.

This is my first post, so I will probably take some heat for this.

I don't understand the fascination that members have with pop culture. It seems like the reality shows have a disproportionate number of LDS. Why have we dumbed down so much? I would much rather see the Church produce a few Nobel prize winners. Where are they? I think we're on the wrong track.

This is my first post, so I will probably take some heat for this.

I don't understand the fascination that members have with pop culture. It seems like the reality shows have a disproportionate number of LDS. Why have we dumbed down so much? I would much rather see the Church produce a few Nobel prize winners. Where are they? I think we're on the wrong track.

Hmmm,

I watched both American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance, apparently unlike you.

Would you like to compare your academic and professional accomplishments to mine?

Is that your answer?

What's up with Paris Hilton these days?

I didn't think you would be up to the challenge.

Your post implied that you don't watch shows like So You Think You Can Dance because it is "dumbed down" and, like all pop culture, is beneath you. You, in contrast to those of us who do like such "dumbed down" diversions, are more concerned with weightier matters like winning world recognition in respectable fields like science and economics.

When push comes to shove and you're asked to put your bona fides on the table, you defer and deflect with some inane reference to Paris Hilton.

Newsflash... People like me enjoy singing and dancing. Besides LDS tendencies to excel in academics and science, we also enjoy culture and art, both high brown and not so high brown... and I'm not so impressed when someone who pretends to be above others can't back it up with the goods.

I would much rather see the Church produce a few Nobel prize winners. Where are they? I think we're on the wrong track.

If not for the lowest common denominator being the deciding factor in televion entertainment, perhaps there could be a show centering around the Nobel Finalists.

BTW, welcome to the board.

I didn't think you would be up to the challenge.

Your post implied that you don't watch shows like So You Think You Can Dance because it is "dumbed down" and, like all pop culture, is beneath you. You, in contrast to those of us who do like such "dumbed down" diversions, are more concerned with weightier matters like winning world recognition in respectable fields like science and economics.

When push comes to shove and you're asked to put your bona fides on the table, you defer and deflect with some inane reference to Paris Hilton.

Newsflash... People like me enjoy singing and dancing. Besides LDS tendencies to excel in academics and science, we also enjoy culture and art, both high brown and not so high brown... and I'm not so impressed when someone who pretends to be above others can't back it up with the goods.

Sorry, I did not realize your daughter apparently is going to be on "So You Think You can Dance". You are no doubt offended, but need not be so. I made no comment about the show. If you reread my post, I mentioned reality shows. I did not denigrate singing, dancing, culture or art. I mentioned dumbed down pop culture. Many people understand what I am referring to.

Apparently, you are interested in what degrees I have. Sorry, I do not divulge much personal information on message boards. I find it amusing that you attack my alleged self-described superiority by suggesting your own credentials.

BTW, I too am LDS.

For the record, I don't consider myself "high brown" or "not so high brown".

• 11 months later...

Chelsea Hightower is LDS. She is the cousin of my daughter in law.

Ben Raines

I served in the same district (well, technically neighboring districts) as her brother. He got some interesting reactions from some people when they made the familial connection, though mostly members. Good Ol' Moses Lake.

Edited by Dravin

ok..it's a new season. Can anyone identify any mormon dancers?

I'll have to ask my sister. She knows everything there is to know about this show. One of my daughters instructors auditioned and made it to the second round. My sister owns a dance studio and even had one of the finalists come teach a workshop at her studio.