problems with Joseph Smith

I could figure out some human-reasoning type answers to that question, but, like millions before me, should the LORD direct me to a different and difficult path, by faith (in HIM, not myself), I would walk where He told me to walk, and trust God with the details.

Very nice answer.

For the record, I don't find anything unusual about your job. Regardless of what specific denomination you are, you are providing hope to individuals who have put themselves in a seemingly hopeless position. May God bless you for your work.

I try to look at things rationally, so maybe I can be helpful. The only thing I could think to add to the discussion is that I wouldn't worry so much about anti mormon material online. Many of their arguments can be flimsy and transparent. But that's just my opinion- It's probably still something to be a bit worried about.

Make sure your husband is aware that there is more than one way to gain knowledge. -I'm sure he knows that already though. It took me a very long time to figure that out. I used to think that knowledge about anything was basically impossible, but now I realize that we can, with work on our part, gain knowledge through the spirit.

I hope I can be of some help.

I could figure out some human-reasoning type answers to that question, but, like millions before me, should the LORD direct me to a different and difficult path, by faith (in HIM, not myself), I would walk where He told me to walk, and trust God with the details.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that you draw a salary from the state for your service as a prison Chaplin. I believe you serve many religions – even non Christian denominations. Also do not worry my friend if we find each other on the other side and you are having difficulty, I will personally see that your work is done. If I am troubled I will still rejoice in your blessings.

The Traveler

fiona84, I wonder if your partner, scientific though he is, could use some encouragement to find the rest of himself.

As someone who has lived in his head all his life, and has chased everything that science has to offer, I didn't make much progress until my heart had a chance to enter the conversation.

I am delighted, though, that he is open to the possibilities. I wish him many unexpected and life-changing surprises.

He knows all about it,has had some of the discussions, goes with me to church, etc, but just hasn't (in his word) 'bought' the Joseph Smith story.

It is very hard these days to buy into the Joseph Smith story when you are coming at it from the back side.

When you know everything "About" Joseph it can be harder to accept "who" he is... than if you learn "who" he is.. (a prophet of God) first and then learn all about everything he did.

But it is possible.

The hardest thing for people to realize is that a prophet is called of God.. not the other way around. God is choosing a man from a pool of imperfect beings. No one can live up to the expectation of perfection. But that does not stop God from using that man.

I mean.. really.. could have God chose a different man to have talked to? You know.. somebody we all trust.. and respect.. and revere. Like a president of the United States? Would that have made a difference? How about someone with a different name.. Joseph Smith is not the best name in the world for a prophet.

I think what we have to do.. it look at what God did say to him... not what he did. To get a testimony.. or belief.. It is what is being said... not necessarily by whom. :)

It is very hard these days to buy into the Joseph Smith story when you are coming at it from the back side.

When you know everything "About" Joseph it can be harder to accept "who" he is... than if you learn "who" he is.. (a prophet of God) first and then learn all about everything he did.

But it is possible.

The hardest thing for people to realize is that a prophet is called of God.. not the other way around. God is choosing a man from a pool of imperfect beings. No one can live up to the expectation of perfection. But that does not stop God from using that man.

I mean.. really.. could have God chose a different man to have talked to? You know.. somebody we all trust.. and respect.. and revere. Like a president of the United States? Would that have made a difference? How about someone with a different name.. Joseph Smith is not the best name in the world for a prophet.

I think what we have to do.. it look at what God did say to him... not what he did. To get a testimony.. or belief.. It is what is being said... not necessarily by whom. :)

I have to admit that the 'Joseph Smith story' was the last thing I gained a testimony of but after gaining such a strong witness that the Book of Mormon was another testament of Jesus Christ, how could I possibly question the prophet Joseph Smith. I know without a doubt that he was called of God to bring about the restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ in these latter days.