Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People?

It took me a long time to understand how perceptions and chosing attitudes of what is good or bad can be a helpful way of looking at things. As part of professional training at work we ocassionally have people in to talk about stress management LOL. It didn't make sense. How else are you going to react to a bad thing...it's bad....wouldn't anything else be an inappropriate reaction, untruthful etc and how is that useful. Eventually I worked out how chosing your reaction/response/action to things can be a positive thing to do in many cases. After reading an example of how people responded to a road rage incident it clicked...people do choose their reactions. If you can choose your reactions you can choose your emotional responses. In theory anyway ; ).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WANDERER:

people do choose their reactions. If you can choose your reactions you can choose your emotional responses. In theory anyway ; ).

So true. A friend comes up to me and asks "You look tired. Are you feeling well?"

I can CHOOSE to be hurt, thinking she is being catty...or I can choose to think she is truly concerned about me. My choice.

She does not have the power to hurt me, unless I give it to her.

But, alas, most of the time we are too quick to take offense.

Misshalfway:

I know I can choose my reactions -- in theory anyway! :) (I am so good a whining!)

Learning how to is a trick. But once you get the hang of it then it can become a really powerful habit.

So true!

And YOU become the "Winner". You are in control. And it just makes for a happier existence. :)

My post didn't show up. I basically said "unethical" means "morally wrong" and I don't see it being morally wrong. It could just be a descriptor and not necessarily discriminatory. It could be yes, but it does not have to be. Being hispanic is also a nationality (since Regan's time) and not a race in and of itself.

I read the topic and thought of some scriptures:

Read the whole chapter: Alma 14

Alma 14:6-11

6 And it came to pass that Zeezrom was astonished at the words which had been spoken; and he also knew concerning the blindness of the minds, which he had caused among the people by his lying words; and his soul began to be harrowed up under a consciousness of his own guilt; yea, he began to be encircled about by the pains of hell.

7 And it came to pass that he began to cry unto the people, saying: Behold, I am guilty, and these men are spotless before God. And he began to plead for them from that time forth; but they reviled him, saying: Art thou also possessed with the devil? And they spit upon him, and cast him out from among them, and also all those who believed in the words which had been spoken by Alma and Amulek; and they cast them out, and sent men to cast stones at them.

8 And they brought their wives and children together, and whosoever believed or had been taught to believe in the word of God they caused that they should be cast into the fire; and they also brought forth their records which contained the holy scriptures, and cast them into the fire also, that they might be burned and destroyed by fire.

9 And it came to pass that they took Alma and Amulek, and carried them forth to the place of martyrdom, that they might witness the destruction of those who were consumed by fire.

10 And when Amulek saw the pains of the women and children who were consuming in the fire, he also was pained; and he said unto Alma: How can we witness this awful scene? Therefore let us stretch forth our hands, and exercise the power of God which is in us, and save them from the flames.

11 But Alma said unto him: The Spirit constraineth me that I must not stretch forth mine hand; for behold the Lord receiveth them up unto himself, in glory; and he doth suffer that they may do this thing, or that the people may do this thing unto them, according to the hardness of their hearts, that the judgments which he shall exercise upon them in his wrath may be just; and the blood of the innocent shall stand as a witness against them, yea, and cry mightily against them at the last day.

(By this time the Gadiantons and secret combinations have taken root in the government and affairs of the people, including the chief judge.)

Another scripture that ties in with the above selection:

Alma 60: 12-13

12 Do ye suppose that, because so many of your brethren have been killed it is because of their wickedness? I say unto you, if ye have supposed this ye have supposed in vain; for I say unto you, there are many who have fallen by the sword; and behold it is to your condemnation;

13 For the Lord suffereth the righteous to be slain that his justice and judgment may come upon the wicked; therefore ye need not suppose that the righteous are lost because they are slain; but behold, they do enter into the rest of the Lord their God.

I know this is an extreme case where bad things happen to good people, but it confirms to me that the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. If we endure our trials, we shall be justly rewarded.

Newspaper story.

The paper did not print this story as written above. The copy editor would never have allowed this to go to print, as there are too many spelling errors.

Having said that, if the story is true, then this reporter is racist, and the paper’s news and managing editors seem to have no problem with it.

Identifying the men in the truck as “Hispanic,” was completely unnecessary to the story. This is not only obvious when reading the article, it also has a subliminal effect on those who already have racist leanings. It confirms their negative beliefs about Hispanics without it being overt.

Additionally, identifying the woman as “elderly“ in the lead is inappropriate. Her injuries were not severe enough, and had nothing to do with her being elderly.

In fact, if I had written the story I would not have said anything about her age, as it has nothing to do with the accident or her injuries. I admit it is a very fine line, but as an editor, I would have taken it out.

However, if I changed my mind, and thought it was important, I would have put it in the bottom of the story--not in the lead.

I suspect the reporter's story was not long enough for the space allotted, and that he had to find filler. It also looks like he got his info from the police report, which would include the races of all parties.

Because of the spelling errors in the story, I am skeptical if it is real. But if it is, this newspaper is scary. Identifying people by their race when it is unnecessary has a subliminal effect on the reader. Especially those who are already racist--they feel their prejudice is warranted. You’d be amazed at how what people read either challenges, or feeds into, their prejudice.

And again, if these were four white boys, I guarantee you their race would never have been included.

Elphaba

stuff happens to people for one of the three following reasons:

1. Our choices effect us or others

2. Others' choices effect themself or us

3. Sometimes stuff just happens because thats life and this whole world was designed to test us and so stuff just happens.

Ok. Let's keep some perspective here. Sometime such things happen but not always. Many times white people are named as the "perps" as well.

Everything that is reported has a bias. If something is part of a story and someone does not include that information it is because of a bias. If they are upset because someone included information that is contrary to their bias - that is just another form of prejudice.