Isn't this like asking for "protection money"?

Fiannan

June 15, 2008 -- Anheuser-Busch gave him six figures, Colgate-Palmolive shelled out $50,000 and Macy's and Pfizer have contributed thousands to the Rev. Al Sharpton's charity.

Almost 50 companies - including PepsiCo, General Motors, Wal-Mart, FedEx, Continental Airlines, Johnson & Johnson and Chase - and some labor unions sponsored Sharpton's National Action Network annual conference in April.

Terrified of negative publicity, fearful of a consumer boycott or eager to make nice with the civil-rights activist, CEOs write checks, critics say, to NAN and Sharpton - who brandishes the buying power of African-American consumers. In some cases, they hire him as a consultant. The cash flows even as the US Attorney's Office in Brooklyn has been conducting a grand-jury investigation of NAN's finances.

REV. AL SOAKS UP BOYCOTT BUCKS - New York Post

Interesting -- I'd say this is like how the mafia does things but then the mafia has a code of honor.

This may seem off topic, but imho, it's related: Several African-American Republicans have indicated that they may consider voting for the historic moment, rather than for party loyalty. What that suggests to me is that even successful, "assimulated" African-Americans have a deep-seeded hurt. I'm not sure I agree with Rev. Al's politics, and I have no way to accurately assess his organization's effectiveness. However, part of the reason he succeeds is that he addresses issues his community cares about.

This may seem off topic, but imho, it's related: Several African-American Republicans have indicated that they may consider voting for the historic moment, rather than for party loyalty. What that suggests to me is that even successful, "assimulated" African-Americans have a deep-seeded hurt. I'm not sure I agree with Rev. Al's politics, and I have no way to accurately assess his organization's effectiveness. However, part of the reason he succeeds is that he addresses issues his community cares about.

Yeah, but one could say the same about a lot of demogogues throughout history!

Mr. Sharpton is best-known for the Tawana Brawley hoax, in which he insisted that a 15-year-old black girl had been abducted and raped by a band of white men practicing Irish Republican Army rituals. In fact she had made up the story to protect herself from her violent stepfather.

But at Freddy's, Mr. Sharpton was even more malevolent. He turned a landlord-tenant dispute between the Jewish owner of Freddy's and a black subtenant into a theater of hatred. Picketers from Mr. Sharpton's National Action Network, sometimes joined by "the Rev." himself, marched daily outside the store, screaming about "bloodsucking Jews" and "Jew bastards" and threatening to burn the building down. After weeks of increasingly violent rhetoric, one of the protesters, Roland Smith, took Mr. Sharpton's words about ousting the "white interloper" to heart. He ran into the store shouting, "It's on!" He shot and wounded three whites and a Pakistani, whom he apparently mistook for a Jew. Then he set the fire, which killed five Hispanics, one Guyanese and one African-American--a security guard whom protesters had taunted as a "cracker lover." Smith then fatally shot himself.

The Wall Street Journal Online - Extra

Also, why was it that it was politically correct for people to accuse Hillary and her supporters of racism all the time?

Yeah, but one could say the same about a lot of demogogues throughout history!

You don't have to support Rev. Al to realize that he has a point. So, if you wish to prevent future deamagogues, part of the solution would be for us to grapple with the issues. For example, few here would support hard and fast Affirmative Action, with quotas, and signficant point-handicapping. On the other hand, African-American Johnny gets 98% on his entrance exam, worked 20 hours a week through high school, and still played a sport, held elected student government office, and won 2nd prize in the National Poetry Contest. Caucasion Johnny gets a 99% on his entrance test, won similar accalades, did not work through school, and his father was an alum at Prestigious University. There are some strong arguments for African-American Johnny, but many of them would be dismissed by some as Political Correctness, Social Engineering and even Reverse Discrimination.

Also, why was it that it was politically correct for people to accuse Hillary and her supporters of racism all the time?

I almost slippped...we need to be oh so careful about not getting into the pros/cons of current political candidates.

Ruthie...don't necessarily disagree with you. And, I'm not suggesting that AA is the answer. However, in the case I laid out, would you not be tempted to give the African-American kid the nod? And why is that?

IMHO, some people may end up voting out of a sense of letting the underdog have a go at it. (I"m really working hard not to violate the letter or intent of our "no political endorsements" policy).

I almost slippped...we need to be oh so careful about not getting into the pros/cons of current political candidates.

She's not running anymore -- she's again the junior senator from NY. So from what I understand she's as fair of game to discuss as Dirty Harry Reid.

However, in the case I laid out, would you not be tempted to give the African-American kid the nod? And why is that?

Yes, I would. Not because of color or because of "underdog" sentiment.

To me the 98% vs the 99% is negligible; but what would persuade me is the working while accomplishing the same as the one who did not work. My choice would be the same if they were both black...or purple...or green. I would value the extra effort, over the 1%.

The thing that is morally offensive about "affirmative action" is that it sees people as groups and not individuals. So let's say you have a white kid from a single-parent home who works his or her tail off to pay for college and get into law school but is denied because the open seat is taken by a black kid from an affuent family. That is not right.

As for the white liberal guilt thing over slavery, let's say a black/Arab person from Sudan (whose family owns black slaves) moves to America and gets permanent citizenship status. Should he qualify for so-called affirmative action?

Ironically, both TrueGrits and Fiannan make a case for going beyond the obvious--be it test scores, or grades. Whether it's demonstrated hard work, or the disadvantaged white kid from a single-parent family, neither of these factors are objective, easily measurable...they look to the student as a whole, and contend that despite minor differences in "scores," some people have more to offer because of what they've been through.

Again, I'm not arguing for any particular bandaid solution (which A.A. is, at best). Rather, I'm suggesting that some people this year are looking way beyond policies and issues, and plan to vote for the one they see as having overcome perceived hardships to make it.