Regional Colloquialisms

checkerboy

Ok so I just got off the phone with a guy and thought, that was weird. Basically I asked him if he had ever done business with my company before. And he said, "No not too much." So I said "Ok have you done a little business with us or what?" I think that was his way of saying no.

My other all time favorite comes from you Southerners. You won't see anything wrong with this sentence, "Whenever I was 13 I used to hang out with my friends at the park." Now the thing that makes me laugh is how many times have you been 13? Or better yet, do you not remember when you were 13? :P

Ok so if you have any that you have heard that are hilarious post them.

Cool! So where on earth did it come from? My dad lived in Louisiana and Oklahoma and Utah - how about the person that taught you the term?

LM

i don't know where i learned it lol just one i've always known. i've always lived in the southeast...i'm gonna say it came from his time in la....lol found "cattywumpus" in a post on another site written by a ga girl.

Guest TheLutheran

Has anyone else heard the term "katty-whompus"? . . .

LM

I've been known to say that one up here in Eastern Washington State. It means "crooked" to us. Have no idea where it came from. :eek:

so found this lol the link (which i'll include for giving credit's sake) has nothing to do with anything but i think it's a great defination.

"Now don’t go grabbing your dictionary in an attempt to look up "cattywompus" cause it just ain’t there. It’s one of those thing words which either was part of your culture or it wasn’t. Back in my neck-of-the-woods it was a term which was used to describe something which wasn’t wrong, but wasn’t right either. Something like a wheel which was slightly off center, it still went round, but sure messed up the ride. Across the river in Indiana they had another word for "cattywompus", actually it was two words: "off kilter". You may not have heard that thing word either... "

The Timeshare Beat: Jerry Sikes; With Regard to Being Cattywompus

i use off kilter too. lol

truegrits, the way the ga girl said it sounded off to me... sounded more like she was talking about a place....swamp would make since. lol but i've always heard it used like the above defination.