Sabbath Day Observance

guitarwizard

I am the only member in my family. They do things on the sabbath like watch TV and go to movies, and i abstain. But sometimes i find it difficult to stay away from these activities.

Two examples:

1.) They will sometimes order pizza. Is it wrong for me to eat the pizza since it was ordered on Sunday and caused someone to work?

2.) Next week we will be on the road and they will want to stop to eat somewhere. How can i decline a dinner without hurting their feelings while still observing the sabbath.

I know how you feel. my family are not members and they always have the TV on or some music. It is impossible not to participate since you cant really cover your ears. But what I do now I stay longer at church and/or sometimes I go out with the missionaries. They will always welcome you to tag along. about the pizza thing I dont really know what you should do since sometimes I just come back home from church starving and there is nothing else to do I just eat it. not sure if I am doing wrong but I dont really feel that bad when eating it. and on road trips... I guess it gets even harder. I remember once I went to a trip in another country. me and some friends stayed at a hotel that served food for its guests at any time. then it came sabbath day. I felt bad about not knowing what to do so I knelled and prayed. then I went to eat down at the restaurant with my friends and I ended up doing dome missionary work and giving away 3 books of mormon =D

so it didnt feel that bad after that =S

I dont know if it was right or wrong after that.

bytor, I'm gonna have to disagree with your SP. I can't remember now, but one of the prophets (Pres Hinkcley???) gave a talk in GC and said something about how sad it is to see all the cars in the parking lots on Sundays at the mall/restaurants representing many Saints who are disobeying the Sabbath.

But, regarding the OP, I completely understand. My family are not members and do not observe Sundays in the same way that I choose. One thing that has helped me is to really try to plan ahead. If I know that we are having a family get-together on a Sunday, I'll call on Saturday to make sure that we have everything that we need so if I need to go to the store I can do that on Saturday. I've also made it known by simply stating things like, "I don't choose to support businesses on Sundays. I'll eat a PB&J instead of the pizza, but thanks for offering."

I have had to relax my standards somewhat with my family when traveling. While I expect them to respect my beliefs, I also have to respect them. There have been times that we've been out of town together or I've felt otherwise prompted to join them in eating at a restaurant on Sunday. It's a fine line and one we all have to define for ourselves.

Here is an article that helped me when deciding how to observe the Sabbath. Again, I think Pres Faust is saying it's something between the individual and the Lord.

The Lord's Day

When I joined he Church, I was still at home. It was frustrating to arrive and want some peace and quiet and find the TV blaring or the lawn mower buzzing. I soon moved out and this was part of the motivation for doing so.

Keeping the Sabbath day is easier since I am now by myself, but still is challenging. I usually spend 6 hours at the meetinghouse, I don' feel like doing too much when I get back but lounge around and nap - this may actually be breaking the Sabbath to some degree, so I set up interviews and get the prayers picked out for the following Sunday.

For me, the Sabbath is the busiest day of the week but the most uplifting since I do the Lord's work.

Hey Guitarwizard,

I'm in a similar situation. My family isn't LDS but my wife's is. I don't think God really cares that much if you eat pizza with your family now and again on Sundays. You aren't going over there with the intent to not observe the Sabbath. Same thing goes for traveling in my opinion. The intent matters more in the long run.

Hope that helps.

I guess my view is somewhat more pragmatic. When we have to travel a few times annually on the Sabbath, we usually eat whether by drive-thru or resturant. However, we do no work, do not go shopping, and otherwise try to keep the Sabbath Holy which includes pondering and reading of scriptures, listening to appropriate music, etc.

It stands to reason though, that if one travels on Sunday for any length, then there is also the matter of purchasing fuel in addition to food.

I do know of church leaders IE: Bishops, Stake Presidents, etc. that have traveled on vacation and even on business (driven) on Sundays, and had to have purchased gasoline to facillitate this travel, so go figure.

Edited by lilered

I am the only member in my family. They do things on the sabbath like watch TV and go to movies, and i abstain. But sometimes i find it difficult to stay away from these activities.

Two examples:

1.) They will sometimes order pizza. Is it wrong for me to eat the pizza since it was ordered on Sunday and caused someone to work?

2.) Next week we will be on the road and they will want to stop to eat somewhere. How can i decline a dinner without hurting their feelings while still observing the sabbath.

The Sabbath is not a day so much as it is a covenant. The purpose of the covenant of the Sabbath is to teach us how to order our lives to be in harmony with how we will someday live with our Father in Heaven. The Sabbath is a day to touch what we do or believe we will do concerning that which is divine. A covenant is always much more about what ought to be than what not ought to be. If you what to understand someone’s concept of heaven then observe what they do for their Sabbath.

In attempting to live by covenant I believe that we ought to inform our L-rd what it is that we plan to do for our Sabbath (whatever the circumstance we find). Much of keeping a Sabbath takes place during the week as we plan and prepare. As our Sabbath approaches we can ask our L-rd to approve our plan and help us live that day in doing what he would have us do or what we think he would do. Among the LDS we often refer such planning as CTR or choose the right. Our Evangelical friends call it WWJD or what would Jesus do. Jesus was not about rules or concepts of not working – he was about doing the work of the Father. I am sometime surprised when someone says they have a personal relationship with the L-rd Jesus but do not seem to have a good grasp on the Sabbath covenant beyond attending their favorite church.

May your Sabbath be a day of rest in the manner that when the righteous as you understand leave this life you and they will enter the rest of the L-rd.

The Traveler

Our Stake President said that there isn't anything wrong with eating at a restaurant or picking something up to eat when traveling......

Look, if we cannot go overboard with self imposed holiness, what shall we do? Just because your SP does not demand going overboard, should that restrict those who feel a need to do so?

;)

bytor, I'm gonna have to disagree with your SP. I can't remember now, but one of the prophets (Pres Hinkcley???) gave a talk in GC and said something about how sad it is to see all the cars in the parking lots on Sundays at the mall/restaurants representing many Saints who are disobeying the Sabbath.

I think the key is "when traveling". I think the general authority you mention was talking about Orem/Provo members of the church who decide to jump in the car and go eat at PF Chang's on Sunday after church rather than the faithful, temple recommend holder who tried but couldn't avoid traveling on Sunday and had to grab a bite to eat while on the road or in an airport somewhere.

I think the key is "when traveling". I think the general authority you mention was talking about Orem/Provo members of the church who decide to jump in the car and go eat at PF Chang's on Sunday after church rather than the faithful, temple recommend holder who tried but couldn't avoid traveling on Sunday and had to grab a bite to eat while on the road or in an airport somewhere.

OH! No! You mean PF Chang's off limits on Sunday. That is the final straw. I am now fasting until it gets put back on the list. :D:D