Are we destined to always struggle with weaknesses and shortcomings?

Superbaldguy

I know the answer is yes, but Sister Pingree brings up an interesting point that I never thought of in this article, near the end: (LDS.org - Ensign Article - Making Weak Things Become Strong

She says the Lord may not see fit to remove certain weaknesses in our lives despite our very best efforts. Is it possible that we cannot fully repent of some things in this life - that we must rely SOLELY on the enabling power of the Atonement for our greatest battles?

I don't know if that gives me any comfort, seems the Lord fully expects us to struggle with at least one major shortcoming - can we be simply too hard on ourselves?

We are to endure to the end according to scriptures and church counsel. This implies that we can expect to be tested to the end.

While we know that if we truly repent, God will forgive us of our sins. However, nowhere that I know of are we told that we will forget our own sins. If true, then it stands to reason we will remember our times of weakness and sins and therefore we could be too hard on ourselves. This condition even though we have received Gods' forgiveness.

Additonally in order to receive complete forgivness from God, fwe know that we must be willing and extend forgivness to others.

Jesus promised, “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: … Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid” (John 14:27).

Having stated all of the above, my explanation of your question would be to visualize the process as a journey towards reuniting with God, as we progress on our journey we come to a deep canyon preventing our journeys completion. The Bridge that will allow us to complete our journey is the Atonement of Jesus Christ which without it, we would not have been able to complete our Journey back to our Heavenly Father.

Edited by lilered

...the Lord fully expects us to struggle with at least one major shortcoming - can we be simply too hard on ourselves?

Most of the time, we are too hard on ourselves.

Everything on this earth is a TYPE. Meaning it symbolizes Christ in some fashion. Either a demonstration of His nature or His gospel. The reminders are all around us.

Let me pick one that I think will bring home this concept of our constant struggle and how God sees us.

I have been blessed with 3 wonderful children.

One of the most wonderful things I've experienced as a father is to lay my children on my chest and have them fall asleep. I 've been told often times it is the constant beating of our hearts that lulls babies to sleep when they lay on us like this. That makes sense to me.

I look upon this experience as a TYPE. An example. It is showing me how God looks upon ME. He looks upon me with love. He feels the same kind of tender love for me that I feel for my sleeping child on my chest. Not even the same love. He feels that love multiplied by infinity.

While it is true, one day we will be judged for our works...what we have become....that day is not today....and until that day comes....the Savior is constantly enticing me to do good and to stay close to Him and receive of His empowering grace...that power beyond my own abilities.

2 Ne. 9: 27

27 But wo unto him that has the law given, yea, that has all the commandments of God, like unto us, and that transgresseth them, and that wasteth the days of his probation, for awful is his state!

Mosiah 16: 12

12 Having gone according to their own carnal wills and desires; having never called upon the Lord while the arms of mercy were extended towards them; for the arms of mercy were extended towards them, and they would not; they being warned of their iniquities and yet they would not depart from them; and they were commanded to repent and yet they would not repent.

Jacob 6: 5

5 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, I beseech of you in words of soberness that ye would repent, and come with full purpose of heart, and cleave unto God as he cleaveth unto you. And while his arm of mercy is extended towards you in the light of the day, harden not your hearts.

After which He gives us new weaknesses.

Not entirely true. LDS theology is filled with stories of saints being translated for having overcome their weaknesses.

Enjoy to the end, not just endure, right?

The best time to be happy is now. It's okay to be you, shortcomings and all.

Within the LDS mindset, agency (paid for via the atonement) secures a simple truth; God doesn't give you weaknesses. He won't magically provide you with character flaws just to keep you busy. Seems contrary to his agenda. You're free to be as strong or as weak as you like.

Temptation really boils down to choice. Your agency, if you will. Mormons believe that the devil tempts them. Some struggle with temptations that others don't. They CHOOSE to struggle with those temptations while others choose NOT to struggle with those very same temptations.

In reality, we really do choose our weaknesses and our strengths.

Since leaving the LDS faith, I've enjoyed a completely new way of looking at being a better person. Personally, I've divorced myself from the thought that some devil parades around tempting people to choose one action over another. People are devilish enough to come up with their own self-temptations.

Conversely, as a believing Mormon I enjoyed chasing the idea that we're just as tempted to do GOOD as we are to do EVIL.

If Satan and his group were parading around tempting everyone to be bad then certainly God and his group were parading around tempting everyone to be good.

After Mormonism, I still hold on to that idea - that we can just as easily choose to make a difference as we can to choose not to.

We are only supposed to struggle with weaknesses and shortcomings until they become our strengths.

After which He gives us new weaknesses.

I notice in my own relationship with Heavenly Father that as I draw closer to Him the Holy Ghost shows me things as they are and all the weaknesses I have. Many sins and weaknesses I didn't see before are shown to me. The closer a man (or woman) gets to God, the more they realize how much they need His infinite and eternal grace.

Sometimes after we overcome a sin thru the grace of God, the Lord then gives us another challenge that He will help us to overcome. But as for my experience so far, I trip over my own feet enough for Him to not add more of a burden to the cross I am already carrying.

The closer a man (or woman) gets to God, the more they realize how much they need His infinite and eternal grace.

Technically, the Mormon God has no grace to impart. LDS theology points sinners to Jesus Christ's atonement for their saving grace needs. Within Mormonism, were it not for the atonement, God wouldn't be able to help a single soul.

Technically, the Mormon God has no grace to impart. LDS theology points sinners to Jesus Christ's atonement for their saving grace needs. Within Mormonism, were it not for the atonement, God wouldn't be able to help a single soul.

Except according to LDS theology, Jesus Christ is God the Son, which is a prerequisite to performing the atonement. It is God the Father who sent God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost testifies of both the Father and the Son. So, it is the grace (power) of God that saves us.

And now Abinadi said unto them: I would that ye should understand that God himself shall come down among the children of men, and shall redeem his people. And because he dwelleth in flesh he shall be called the Son of God, and having subjected the flesh to the will of the Father, being the Father and the Son— The Father, because he was conceived by the power of God; and the Son, because of the flesh; thus becoming the Father and Son— And they are one God, yea, the very Eternal Father of heaven and of earth. (Mosiah 15:1-4)

Are you really a member? :) Tell us the truth.

Regards,

Vanhin

Don't think you understand our theology very well.....at least concerning this particular point. I could go on and on about Grace. I don't think there is anything that God can't do. It was absolutely grace for a Father to sacrifice a son for all. It was the Father that made a sacrifice too. And I can't count the number of times Father has helped my life! That to me my friend, is just the tip of the iceberg concerning grace.

Except according to LDS theology, Jesus Christ is God the Son, which is a prerequisite to performing the atonement. It is God the Father who sent God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost testifies of both the Father and the Son. So, it is the grace (power) of God that saves us.

And now Abinadi said unto them: I would that ye should understand that God himself shall come down among the children of men, and shall redeem his people. And because he dwelleth in flesh he shall be called the Son of God, and having subjected the flesh to the will of the Father, being the Father and the Son— The Father, because he was conceived by the power of God; and the Son, because of the flesh; thus becoming the Father and Son— And they are one God, yea, the very Eternal Father of heaven and of earth. (Mosiah 15:1-4)

Are you really a member? :) Tell us the truth.

Regards,

Vanhin

I'm certainly an open ex-Mormon. Hopefully my profile still works.

Speaking to the issue of grace directly as it exists within LDS theology, without the atonement, God the Father is impotent to extend any amount of grace to save a single soul.

There is absolutely no question within the LDS theology, that were there no atonement, God would be completely powerless to save anything on this earth.

That's the issue that I'm speaking to.

Don't think you understand our theology very well.....at least concerning this particular point. I could go on and on about Grace. I don't think there is anything that God can't do. It was absolutely grace for a Father to sacrifice a son for all. It was the Father that made a sacrifice too. And I can't count the number of times Father has helped my life! That to me my friend, is just the tip of the iceberg concerning grace.

I was speaking directly to the issue, that without the atonement, the Mormon God is powerless to save even a molecule on this earth.

That's a very clear LDS theological point that I'm sure I understand very well.

God's grace is what allows for the atonement, but that is not all. God's grace provides for many, many more things than redemption from sin. That may be the single most important thing grace does for us, but there are many others as well. Joy, for example. Peace. Love.

HiJolly

Not entirely true. LDS theology is filled with stories of saints being translated for having overcome their weaknesses.

Filled? I only know of a couple instances in the scriptures where a person or persons were translated, and I don't know of anyone personally who was chosen to be translated. For us commonfolk, what I said about receiving new trials after conquering old ones is true.

Filled? I only know of a couple instances in the scriptures where a person or persons were translated, and I don't know of anyone personally who was chosen to be translated. For us commonfolk, what I said about receiving new trials after conquering old ones is true.

City of Enoch... that's more than a few handfuls of folks. And hey, if you want more trials after conquering old ones, we get what we attract.

Now, pardon me while I go attract some happiness. :)

Dear Mr Superboldguy I always admit my weaknessess to my wife/kids first and very open and honest about my weaknessess to myself and my dealings with God I believe my own struggles have increased my faith

When my weaknessess where show too me in my early 20s by the Savior as a witness to me i always thought they where my strengths how terrible i felt

Well i just had carry on with my life and keep going my weakness are always their and so is the Love of Christ i hope and pray to have that love with me to help me make it through the days/nights

God bless

I gave up struggling long ago. I you don't like something or some weakness you have, work on improving it. If you don't want to improve it, than accept it. Struggling is pointless.

I can relate to that. Sometimes when I'm doing what I call "cyber missionary" work the Spirit will help put words together that I think will have quite an impact and I may feel pride settling in upon me. At times like those I've learned to just smile at the appearance of an old acquaintance, mentally set the thoughts aside, not denying them, just classifying them as part of the human experience. And I keep on DOING what I can to build up Zion without allowing the down and doubting myself temptation to interfere.

One of the most important tools we have when experiencing temptation is captured in a single word: IGNORE!

Wow, I have seen some thought-provoking comments to my original inquiry.

For me, it's simple - to make the Atonement effectual in my life, I need to be striving to overcome these weaknesses and be continually repenting. if I am satisfied that I am doing that, grace can allow me to bridge that chasm. The question I ask - when do we know we are doing our best?

We can have that peace of conscience to know we are forgiven, it's not the exact same thing as being able to declare we have put that weakness behind us - such things tend to come back if we are not careful. Fully overcoming and repenting of a sin a far greater accomplishment, since we are told the Lord remembers these sins, no more - and we shouldn't harrow up old memories.

The question I ask - when do we know we are doing our best?

You have done your best when you have forsaken the sin or weakness you are struggling with for just one more hour - then another - then another. :)

We need to never confuse temptation with sin. Temptation may always be with us, but sin need not be because we can never be tempted beyond our power to resist. The most powerful tool we have to resist temptation is summed up in one single word: IGNORE!

Never let temptation get you down, it's a human experience and necessary for our learning, it's not a weakness. When that familiar acquaintance, temptation, settles upon you just smile, ignore it, and keep on DOING the things you know God would have you do...

Works for me.