Fullness of Times / Second Coming

funkymonkey

I've noticed that people bring up "the second coming is soon" here and there on the forum...like it will happen tomorrow or in a couple of years.

Questions:

-Is God's version of "soon" different than our own mortal understanding of "soon"?

Is it safe to say that our modern conveniences and immediate gratification kindof cloud this concept further?

-When the scriptures say somthing like "the end is near", is it really be talking about Jesus Christ coming?...or could it be talking about our own individual timeline on this earth?

-Anyone have any scriptures on this subject?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know when it will happen, but I firmly belive we are in the "Last days". Remember for the Lord time has a different definition than it does for us.

I know that with the state of the earth as it is today we have to be near the end. It may not be in our lifetimes, but maybe our children, or grandchildrens lives.

There is a lot of good in the world, but also so much bad, it is hard to not let the condition of the world get you down sometimes.

'Second Coming articles:

The Glass is Half Full: The Second Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ

in BYU Speeches 2001 by Richard Neitzel Holzapfel - 10 July 2001

...this item. The Glass Is Half Full: The Second Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ RICHARD ... . Today I would like to talk about the Second Coming, but I would like to talk specifically ... . The first aspect is the timing of the Second Coming and the second is the emphasis we...

Ten Keys to Understanding Isaiah

in Ensign Oct. 1973 by Bruce R. McConkie

...good news of restoration, of the gospel coming again, of the everlasting covenant once ... Israel and her final triumph and glory, © coming forth of the Book of Mormon as a new witness ... prophecies relative to our Lord's first coming, (f) second coming of Christ and the millennial...

Preparation for the Second Coming

in Ensign May 2004 by Dallin H. Oaks

...Ensign >> 2004 >> May Preparation for the Second Coming Elder Dallin H. Oaks Of the Quorum ... mail Dallin H. Oaks, "Preparation for the Second Coming," Ensign, May 2004, 7 We need to ... the events prophesied at the time of the Second Coming. Image In modern revelation we...

The Second Coming of Christ

in Ensign May 1978 by LeGrand Richards

...-day Saints Ensign >> 1978 >> May The Second Coming of Christ Elder LeGrand Richards ... Print * E-mail LeGrand Richards, "The Second Coming of Christ," Ensign, May 1978, 74 ... understand the scriptures relating to his first coming, how would he feel toward us and the world...

Joseph Smith - Matthew, Joseph Smith - History

in Pearl of Great Price Student Manual

...abomination of desolation | | * The Second Coming of Jesus Christ | | * The ... disciples' questions about His glorious Second Coming (see Matthew 24:3-25:46; see also ... take place in the last days, prior to His Second Coming (see vv. 21-55). Three statements...

Chapter 31 (The Redemption of the Dead Chapter) - Chapter 37 (The Millennium and the Glorification of the Earth)

in Doctrines of the Gospel Student Manual

...resurrection of the just; the other is the second resurrection, the resurrection of damnation ... another angel shall sound, which is the second trump; and then cometh the redemption of those who are Christ's at his coming; who have received their part in that prison...

Early Saints and the Millennium

in Ensign Aug. 1979 by Glen M. Leonard

... labored intently, expecting to see the Second Coming in their lifetime. This anticipation ... reference of some kind to the events of the Second Coming. (See especially D&C 29, D&C 33, ... the wars represented "the signs of the coming of the Son of Man ... very evidently manifested...

To Make a People Prepared for the Lord

in Conference Report, October 1975 by Delbert L. Stapley

...many prophecies were given foretelling his coming to earth. The early prophets revealed the ... happenings prophesied of concerning his second coming will also be fulfilled. Toward ... things be? And what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? A*And Jesus...

The Dawn of a New Millennium

in BYU Speeches 2000 by Merrill J. Bateman - 11 January 2000

...overcome physical and spiritual death. The second special period referred to by the prophets ... days; a time just preceding the Lord's second coming; a time when He will restore the ... Malachi spoke of a day just before the Lord's second coming when Elijah the prophet would be...

Jesus' Sermon on the Last Days: Matthew 24

in BYU Speeches 1999 by S. Kent Brown - 2 November 1999

...well as the place of His ascension and His Second Coming. The remains stand atop the site ... word, Jesus' prophecy saved their lives. Second, at least as early as the fourth century ... be reasons for these added records, all coming through the inspired work of the Prophet...

We Need Not Fear His Coming

in BYU Speeches 1979 by Gordon B. Hinckley - 25 March 1979

...Back to this item. We Need Not Fear His Coming GORDON B. HINCKLEY ------------------ ... answer period, I was asked concerning the second coming of the Savior. I am reported to ... period, nor was there any discussion of the second coming of the Savior. The talks given were...

News of the Church

in Ensign Sept. 1998

...Pinegar, First Counselor; D. Lee Tobler, Second Counselor 2. North America Central: Hugh ... Johnson, First Counselor; Yoshihiko Kikuchi, Second Counselor 3. North America Northeast: ... Staheli, First Counselor; Gary J. Coleman, Second Counselor 4. North America East: John ...

Elijah and Elisha: Foreshadowing the Latter-day Work

in Ensign Mar. 1988 by Lenet Hadley Read

...proving unto my people the truth of the coming of Christ; for, for this end hath the law ... the latter days and Christ's subsequent coming and reign. To understand how the work ... some of the events that will precede the second coming of Jesus Christ. Not only is the...

Prophecy

in Conference Report, April 1974 by LeGrand Richards

...Nephi of old. He saw our day; he saw the coming forth of the Book of Mormon; he saw the ... prophets have foretold that should precede his second coming, so that we will not be in the dark ... Peter was a prophet of God and look for the coming of the Savior. It makes one wonder why ...

Latter-day Clarity on Christ’s Life and Teachings

in Ensign Jan. 1999 by Ray L. Huntington and Camille Fronk

...given that identifies the time of Christ's coming "in the flesh" (D&C 20:1). Very little ... will be burned with fire at the Savior's Second Coming (D&C 86:7; see also D&C 101:63-66 ... see JST, Matt. 21:51-52, Bible appendix). Second, the kingdom of God would be taken from...

The Five A's of Stewardship

in Ensign Apr. 1972 by Russell M. Nelson

...regarding the messianic mission, or the coming of the Redeemer, there is utter clarity ... things Enoch was shown were both the first coming and the second coming of the Messiah, the ... came to pass that Enoch saw the day of the coming of the Son of Man, in the last days, to...

Preparations for the Restoration and the Second Coming: “My Hand Shall Be over Thee”

in Ensign Nov. 2005 by Robert D. Hales

...Preparations for the Restoration and the Second Coming: "My Hand Shall Be over Thee" Elder ... Preparations for the Restoration and the Second Coming: `My Hand Shall Be over Thee'," ... this world and will continue until His Second Coming. Image This year we are commemorating...

New Testament Backgrounds: Thessalonians through Hebrews

in Ensign Apr. 1976

...afterward. Purpose of the letter: During his second missionary journey, Paul labored at Thessalonica ... their relationship to events after the second coming of Christ. Paul attempted to clarify ... reviewing some of the principles of the second coming in the first epistle. The question...

Moroni's Message to Joseph Smith

in Ensign Aug. 1990 by Kent P. Jackson

...fulfilled, that the preparatory work for the second coming of the Messiah was speedily to commence ... the Prophet on the occasion of Moroni's coming, so the account is secondary. Yet it is ... the Prophet's scribe and was designated "Second Elder" of the Church at the time it was...

“As Flaming Fire and a Ministering Angel”

in Ensign Oct. 1999 by Jonn D. Claybaugh

...writings. The Apostle John produced the second greatest amount of New Testament scripture ... and historical value. Already in the late second century certain conservative and otherwise ... Revelation regarding the premortal life, the Second Coming of Jesus Christ, the Millennium,...

I've noticed that people bring up "the second coming is soon" here and there on the forum...like it will happen tomorrow or in a couple of years.

Questions:

-Is God's version of "soon" different than our own mortal understanding of "soon"?

Is it safe to say that our modern conveniences and immediate gratification kindof cloud this concept further?

-When the scriptures say somthing like "the end is near", is it really be talking about Jesus Christ coming?...or could it be talking about our own individual timeline on this earth?

Not in a couple of years but there are several items that need to be accomplished. Even the 'babe' prophet [i believe was born in 87] that will usher in the Second Coming needs to grow in the Gospel of Christ prior to reaching that pinnacle of receiving the mantel.

Then I could go on and on and on....:)

Questions:

Yes, I'd say that is safe to say.

Yes, indeed. I see it as a "BIG second coming" and a "lesser second coming". The BIG one is where the elements melt w/ "fervent heat"; the lesser is where we individually receive the second comforter. Same person, different occasion. There is a similar concept with denial of the Holy Ghost, where there is a lesser and greater offense. As I understand it.

HiJolly

Questions:

The restoration is very much a part of the Last Days. We are in the process of preparing for the second coming of Christ. If you are not personally prepared – I suggest that you make every effort to do so without delay. If you expect and itemized schedule of things from which you will prepare – I think you are making a mistake.

The Traveler

Here's a good place to start:

Prophesies That Have Been Fulfilled

Wars and rumors of wars - Matthew 24:6-8

6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all [these things] must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

8 All these [are] the beginning of sorrows.

Prophesies That Are In Progress

All things in commotion, hearts shall fail - D&C 88:88-91

88 And after your testimony cometh wrath and indignation upon the people.

89 For after your testimony cometh the testimony of earthquakes, that shall cause groanings in the midst of her, and men shall fall upon the ground and shall not be able to stand.

90 And also cometh the testimony of the voice of thunderings, and the voice of lightnings, and the voice of tempests, and the voice of the waves of the sea heaving themselves beyond their bounds.

91 And all things shall be in commotion; and surely, men's hearts shall fail them; for fear shall come upon all people.

Fulness of the gospel heard in own language - D&C 90:10-11

10 And then cometh the day when the arm of the Lord shall be revealed in power in convincing the nations, the heathen nations, the house of Joseph, of the gospel of their salvation.

11 For it shall come to pass in that day, that every man shall hear the fulness of the gospel in his own tongue, and in his own language, through those who are ordained unto this power, by the administration of the Comforter, shed forth upon them for the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Prophesies Yet To Be Fulfilled

Lamanites to blossom as a rose - D&C 49:24

24 But before the great day of the Lord shall come, Jacob shall flourish in the wilderness, and the Lamanites shall blossom as the rose.

Great hailstorm - D&C 29:16

16 And there shall be a great hailstorm sent forth to destroy the crops of the earth.

New Jerusalem To Be Built - 3 Nephi 23-25

23 And they shall assist my people, the remnant of Jacob, and also as many of the house of Israel as shall come, that they may build a city, which shall be called the New Jerusalem.

24 And then shall they assist my people that they may be gathered in, who are scattered upon all the face of the land, in unto the New Jerusalem.

25 And then shall the power of heaven come down among them; and I also will be in the midst.

The rainbow prophesy - Joseph Smith - DHC, Vol. 6 p. 264; March 10, 1944

I have asked of the Lord concerning His coming; and while asking the Lord, He gave a sign and said, "In the days of Noah I set a bow in the heavens as a sign and token that in any year that the bow should be seen the Lord would not come; but there should be seed time and harvest during that year; but whenever you see the bow withdrawn, it shall be a token that there shall be famine, pestilence and great distress among the nations, and that the coming of the Messiah is not far distant."

Armaeddon - Mormon Doctrine - "War"

Modern warfare began with the American Civil War, and it has and will continue to increase in severity and wickedness until the final great struggle at Armageddon when our Lord will return to cleanse the earth and usher in the millennial reign of peace.

I would also like to ask where this migration to Missouri thing comes from? It was my understanding that it could mean everyone goes, or even just a few leaders go and meet. ??

Information overload: [156 articles that has something about the new Jerusalem]^_^

Part VII: Specific Texts of the Dead Sea Scrolls

in The Dead Sea Scrolls: Questions and Responses for Latter-day Saints by Donald W. Parry, Stephen D. Ricks

... 53. What are the New Jerusalem texts? ... regarding the New Jerusalem (i.e., the holy ... various parts of the New Jerusalem, including...

Missouri's Impact on the Church

in Ensign Apr. 1979 by Max H Parkin

...Book of Mormon teachings of Christ about a new Jerusalem--a city of Zion--that would be founded ... the Lamanites would help build the future New Jerusalem; thus, they had to be redeemed from their ... important to know the exact location of the New Jerusalem, information that the Lord had promised...

Searching the Scriptures: What Sayest the Tongue?

in Ensign Feb. 1973

...by Enoch, North and South America, and a new Jerusalem to be built in America. Four of these definitions ... dedicated the temple site. There the city New Jerusalem will be erected with its temple, and then ... faithful, devoted members to build the New Jerusalem; but the call will come only when the revelation...

Early Saints and the Millennium

in Ensign Aug. 1979 by Glen M. Leonard

...Lamanites were to play in establishing the New Jerusalem. Mentioned in the tenth Article of Faith ... build there the twenty-four temples of the New Jerusalem. Many members felt they saw a divine hand ... designated by the Lord as the site for the New Jerusalem. This was important, they felt, because...

“O How Great the Plan of Our God!”

in Ensign Feb. 1996 by Gary J. Coleman

... (Ether 13:2) will be "the place of the New Jerusalem, ... come down out of heaven, and the holy ... Lord" (Ether 13:3). (That site for the New Jerusalem, with its holy temple, has already been ... 4.) Moroni wrote: "And then cometh the New Jerusalem; and blessed are they who dwell therein...

Part I: Description, Discovery, and Disposition of the Dead Sea Scrolls

in The Dead Sea Scrolls: Questions and Responses for Latter-day Saints by Donald W. Parry, Stephen D. Ricks

... Michael, and the New Jerusalem. ... a text about the New Jerusalem and two copies of ... concerning the New Jerusalem. ...

To Prepare a People

in Ensign Jan. 1979 by William O. Nelson

... on building Zion and the temple in the New Jerusalem as applying to their day. But the glory ... -75 Call to gather Zion; prospect of New Jerusalem. ... \001 temple of New Jerusalem. ..

The Role of the Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible in the Restoration of Doctrine

in The Disciple as Witness: Essays on Latter-day Saint History and Doctrine in Honor of Richard Lloyd Anderson

... understanding of the New Jerusalem, no baptisms for the ... days and be joined with the New Jerusalem, which would be built ... about Enoch, the New Jerusalem, the city of Zion...

Children of the Covenant

in Ensign May 1995 by Russell M. Nelson

...:46). "And that it was the place of the New Jerusalem, which should come down out of heaven, ... days of Christ, and he spake concerning a New Jerusalem upon this land. "And he spake also concerning ... the Lord; wherefore, it could not be a new Jerusalem for it had been in a time of old; but it...

Three Jaredites: Contrasting Contemporaries

in Ensign Aug. 1978 by Neal A. Maxwell

... the Lord; wherefore, it could not be a new Jerusalem for it had been in a time of old; but it ... unto the house of Israel. "And that a New Jerusalem should be built upon this land, unto the ... forward in human history so that he saw the New Jerusalem to be built on the western hemisphere. ...

Chapter 31 (The Redemption of the Dead Chapter) - Chapter 37 (The Millennium and the Glorification of the Earth)

in Doctrines of the Gospel Student Manual

... The latter-day Zion will be called the New Jerusalem (see D&C 45:65-66; 3 Nephi 20:22; D&C 84 ... will be restored; and the city Zion, or New Jerusalem, which is to be built by the seed of Joseph ... as he was. It has been promised that the New Jerusalem will be built up in our day and generation...

A Strange Thing in the Land: The Return of the Book of Enoch, Part 12

in Ensign June 1977 by Hugh Nibley

... Enoch. The sections about Zion and the New Jerusalem in the Enoch literature are, according ... Age [aeon] shall walk upon the Zion, a New Jerusalem, ... Moses earth, even upon Mount Zion ... , ... and it shall be called Zion, a New Jerusalem. ...

Section 41-50

in Doctrine and Covenants Student Manual

... the establishment of the City of Zion--New Jerusalem--which was to be built by the law of consecration ... stated definitely as the law on which the New Jerusalem is to be built. This law is given for the ... Revelation concerning the location of the New Jerusalem. "68-69. In view of such promises it is...

Chapter 46-52: Mormon, Ether, Moroni

in Book of Mormon Student Manual

...Miracle, pp. 3-5, 10-11). Ether 13:1-12. The New Jerusalem Ether 13:1-12 describes what a great seer ... Lord, including the establishment of a New Jerusalem prior to the Second Coming. Note what Ether said about the New Jerusalem: 1. It would be "the holy sanctuary of...

Christian Envy of the Temple

in When the Lights Went Out: Three Studies on the Ancient Apostasy by Hugh W. Nibley

... which they called "the New Jerusalem, having erected it in ... Constantine's New Jerusalem the most ambitious ... Eternal Presence renders the new Jerusalem one vast naos," where ...

The Articles of Faith of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

in Latter-day Christianity: 10 Basic Issues by Robert L. Millet, Noel B. Reynolds

...that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built ...

Index

in When the Lights Went Out: Three Studies on the Ancient Apostasy by Hugh W. Nibley

..., 93 New Jerusalem ...

The Scatterings and Gatherings of Israel

in Ensign Dec. 1981 by Edward J. Brandt

...restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion, the New Jerusalem, will be built upon the American continent ... Our Article of Faith says `that Zion (the new Jerusalem) will be built upon this [the American]...

Israel's "Other Tribes"

in Ensign Jan. 1982 by Vern G. Swanson

...of the Ten Tribes; [and] that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American Continent ... representation in the establishment of the New Jerusalem. All tribes will have representatives in...

I Have a Question

in Ensign June 1987

...prophecies of the second coming of Christ, the new Jerusalem (with a new river of water and tree of ... also give further information about the new Jerusalem mentioned in Revelation 21-22:5. [Rev. ...

Come: Let Israel Build Zion

in Ensign May 1977 by Bruce R. McConkie

...and its inhabitants shall join with the New Jerusalem which shall then be established. (See Moses ... Our Article of Faith says "that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon this [the American]...

A Promised Land

in Ensign June 1976 by Jeffrey R. Holland

...the land mass where the city Zion, or the New Jerusalem of the earth's last days, would eventually ... 133:23-24.) These two cities, Zion (the New Jerusalem) and the ancient city of Jerusalem, will...

Seven Promises to Those Who Overcome: Aspects of Genesis 2–3 in the Seven Letters

in The Temple in Time and Eternity by Donald W. Parry, Stephen D. Ricks

... my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down ... of God's city, the New Jerusalem (meaning they will ...

I Have a Question

in Ensign Jan. 1994

...was the location of a Zion to be and the New Jerusalem to come. The Prophet first visited Jackson ... located where the City of Zion, or the New Jerusalem, will be built. When Adam and Eve were ...

"So Glorious a Record"

in Ensign Dec. 1992 by Robert L. Millet

...collectively and individually leads forward to the New Jerusalem, and not back to Athens, or to Rome." ( ... tabernacle, and it shall be called Zion, a New Jerusalem." (Moses 7:62.) Such a blessing will not...

Come: Let Israel Build Zion

in Conference Report, April 1977 by Bruce R. McConkie

...and its inhabitants shall join with the New Jerusalem which shall then be established. (See Moses ... Article of Faith says A*that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon this [the American]...

Becoming a Zion Society: Six Principles

in Ensign Feb. 1979 by R. Quinn Gardner

...before the Lord can accept Zion--the city of New Jerusalem--unto himself. Moreover, the Lord appears ... tabernacle, and it shall be called Zion, a New Jerusalem. "And the Lord said unto Enoch: Then shalt...

SECTION 12 John's Witness of the Church Triumphant

in Life and Teachings of Jesus and His Apostles: New Testament Student Manual

...an important moral issue is decided. The New Jerusalem is only the figurative description of a ... Father; (10) have the names of God, | | New Jerusalem, and Christ written on him; and (11) sit ... :295.) (56-13) Revelation 21:2, 3. The New Jerusalem "To envision what is meant by this title...

Section 51-60

... had read in the Book of Mormon about a New Jerusalem that would be located in America (see 3 ... would reveal the exact location of the New Jerusalem (see D&C 42:62). It was therefore with ... Were These Verses a Foreshadowing That the New Jerusalem Would Not Be Built in 1831? Elder Orson...

Enrichment A, B, C

...and its inhabitants shall join with the New Jerusalem which shall then be established. (See Moses ... The Prophet Joseph Smith taught that the New Jerusalem would be the first of Zion communities ... in preparation for the Millennium. The New Jerusalem will be called "an `holy city' . . . because...

Chap. 6 (Organization of the Church of Jesus Christ) - Chap. 10 (Development of the Church in Ohio, 1831-34)

in Church History in the Fulness of Times

...for this with the establishment of the "New Jerusalem" (D&C 45:32, 57, 66). Also in the spring ... Zion! The holy city! The New Jerusalem! Enoch built a Zion (see Moses 7:19-21) ... that America would be the place of the New Jerusalem (see Ether 13:2-3; 3 Nephi 20:22). The ...

Learning in the Light of Truth

in BYU Speeches 2000 by Merrill J. Bateman - 21 August 2000

...University will be a crown jewel in the New Jerusalem. John the Revelator, on the isle of Patmos ... . And I John saw the holy city, [the] new Jerusalem. . . . And he carried me away in the spirit...

Line upon Line

in Ensign July 1979 by James B. Allen

...contexts: (1) as a specific reference to the "New Jerusalem" to be built in Jackson County, Missouri ... emphasis in those days was on building the New Jerusalem. To go to Zion was to go to Jackson County...

I Have a Question

in Ensign Dec. 1981

...temple in Jerusalem (see Hag. 2:6-9) and the New Jerusalem in America (see D&C 42:35-36.) 3. The ... Jerusalem in the land of Israel and the New Jerusalem in America. (See Isa. 2:2-3; Isa. 52:7-...

Edited by Hemidakota

Not in a couple of years but there are several items that need to be accomplished. Even the 'babe' prophet [i believe was born in 87] that will usher in the Second Coming needs to grow in the Gospel of Christ prior to reaching that pinnacle of receiving the mantel.

Then I could go on and on and on....:)

Um.....'babe' prophet? Would you elaborate a bit..please. I am unfamiliar with this....is this scriptural or LDS lore?