Proper Etiquette

MorningStar

Bring all your etiquette questions here. Here is my first one.

When do you feel it is appropriate to ask someone to babysit for you after having a baby? Is one month too soon? Two? Three? Personally, I leave mommies alone for a long time and am hesitant even to call them during the first month in case they just finally got a chance to take a nap. I had a telemarketer call early in the morning after being awake until 5am with our son and I wanted to cry when the phone rang. I picked it up and told the guy, "Please don't ever call here again."

A friend of mine was just asked to babysit and her baby is one month old. I like to help people, but I think that would irritate me and I don't like to reject people. She was just made compassionate service leader and I think the person asking her thinks that she is probably required to be the one giving out all the compassionate service.

Oddly, in this case, earlier is better. Up until about 2-3 months, the newborn wont' care much where he or she sleeps. But once the circadian rhythms kick in, it's a lot more frustrating to the child to be thrown off schedule.

But looking at the mom's point of view, I can see how that's a bit early. With this one, I'm not sure. I think it varies from person to person. My wife and I would have been exceptionally happy to babysit even after two weeks. Some women disappear for 3 months! No easy answer here I suppose.

I would NEVER ask a woman who had a baby a month ago to baby sit!!!

Even after two or three months is rude! Aren't there enough people who don't have newborns to ask?

I mean, if I was desperate, had to go to a family funeral, see my husband in intensive care maybe.....

I also think her having a calling as compassionate leader would be very hard right now. She is the one needing compassionate service. Even though it is her calling, others need to step in. Sure she can do some things in her calling, but baby sitting isn't one of them.

No, I would not ask a woman who only had a baby a month ago to sit. Not only is it rude, but it isn't smart either.

By most doctor's standards a woman would not be able to go back to their paid job yet (most say six weeks), babysitting is a job like any other even if you are not paid for it.

Plus what if the woman had a c-section? She couldn't pick a child up if needed.

Bad idea, i'm really surprised people would ask unless it's a REAL emergency.

Bring all your etiquette questions here. Here is my first one.

I tend to have friends that like talking a lot, and is really hard because all she gives me time to is to listen to her. Is there anything that I can say or do so she will let me have my turn to talk ? I know that is not polite to interrupt but that is the only way that I am able to talk to her. Any suggestions on what to say without being rude?:zzz:

Rain