Help with Home Making properly

Shawnee

Keeping house is easy in theory. Have a place for everything, and when you pick up, put things away. If you have more stuff than space, then it gets a little hairy. Either create more storage or toss a lot of things out or put it in storage.

Home cooking starts with the basics. Meat, veg, fruit, salads and dessert. There are so many recipes online, you can find them and follow the directions. If you want a spaghetti recipe, do a search for one. Need to know how to make oatmeal? Just follow the recipe on the box, etc.

The canning and freezing. I used to do more than I do now. I find canned from the store (especially when they have a sale) is much easier. There are older sisters in your ward that can - ask for help some day in Relief Society. The Ball and Kerr web sites also have info on canning.

Have you tried flylady.net? I lot of people love that site. It teaches you how to get your house in order a little at a time. I tried it years ago when I had dial-up and didn't get online much and I got overwhelmed with all the e-mails, but I was able to apply the idea of doing a little bit each day and tossing stuff you don't need.

I would caution against Fly Lady. I know too many people who have had very bad experiences with it for several reasons, the least of which is an inundation of multiple emails a day.

For me, I have to make myself a chore chart. I won't do anything otherwise, because it's too overwhelming. I have to schedule housecleaning activities (laundry on Mondays, clean the kitchen on Tuesdays, go grocery shopping on Wednesdays, clean the bathrooms on Thursdays, and so on).

When it comes to the kitchen, you don't have to do it all. If you want to do it all, that's great, but don't think you have to do it all right now. And don't try to, either, because it will just be so overwhelming. If you don't know how to cook, work on that before you master the art of canning.

In addition to my chore chart, I also have to plan my meals. I love to cook, and I'm pretty good at it, but I hate deciding what to make. I'm like the vultures from Disney's The Jungle Book -- what do you want to eat? I don't care. Whatever you want. Well, what do you want me to cook?

You get the idea. So I plan a week or two worth of meals in one sitting, and make my shopping list based on that schedule. It helps in so many ways:

(1) You stay within your budget because it helps cut down on impulse buys at the store

(2) You know exactly what to shop for, so you only have to make one trip

(3) It cuts down on last minute scrambles

Good luck!

Oh, for cleaning, I would recommend "Talking Dirty with the Queen of Clean" by Linda Cobb. She's put out a couple of books. She's really good.

• 2 months later...

There is so much to know and it can be a little overwhelming. I like meal planning. Find a good cookbook. The one I loved as a newly wed was one call "cooking for two" but it is published by a canadian magazine. Start small and simple in the kitchen. Cooking is easy but it takes practice so don't get discouraged. DOn't feel like you have to be the ultimate homemaker in your first years of marriage. I have a friend who only cooks one thing everyday (one side dish or main course) and nothing more. Take a class at a community center or find a good cooking show (I like Alton Brown on the food network 'cus he's just too cute!). Cooking doesn't have to be complicated. We love food with just a few ingredients stirred together and baked for and hour.

I like chore charts. Try to keep things in their place, pick up every night, never let the dishes get behind and always do one load of laundry everyday (if you have that much between you and your husband and don't have to go to a laundromat). Separate darks and lights. Wash towels, sheets, socks and undies in hot water. Wash jeans separately (they are hard on the other clothes). Take things out of the dryer and put away quickly so they don't wrinkle. And always read labels!

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it. :)

Try to find a cooking book that is used in highschool: the meals are simple and basic and it talks about cooking terms and provides information on how to cook and prepare vegetables etc. It's a great little launch pad for teaching yourself how to cook.

Join aforum for new mum's...no you don't have to have a young un...but lots of SAHM working things out together...they're happy to answer your questions on the best way of cleaning a shower screen or why did my cake sink!!!! If you find a good forum you can get help within 15 seconds for what recipe can I make with only three pantry items. I really rely on these forums with problem shooting domestic stuff. They'll also alert you to sales and coupons...SAHM are home budgetting experts.

Oh and there are blogs out there from mumbloggers that are amazing sources of information. If you don't know how to prepare dried beans they'll walk you through the steps. Mumbloggers are a big part of the blogging world. Try googling canning on a blog search on google with whatever it is that you want to can...there will be picture guides and tips. (I keep meaning to have a go at it...eventually)

Wikihow and Videojug are dedicated internet places with videos of how to do stuff like how to change a lightbulb, wash a dog, make pikelets. They have short videos. Nothing like seeing someone do it to help you along.

Canning...join a forum that is into *simple living*...you'll pick up canning/gardening tips ...they tend to do things that promote self-reliance or self-sufficiency: candlemaking etc. While they have an environmental slant to them they know their stuff.

Flylady is good for getting a domestic cleaning routine going...there are a lot of books on this with varying systems.Check out amazon. I have found that what you really need is a personal system so I mix and match various strategies for tackling things.

NOW is the time to join an XMAS domestic goddess website...they have ones that step you down to preparing for the XMAS holiday season with weekly tasks to do. They are amazing. This might be a whole lot more fun to do than flylady because you are working to a goal: Xmas day...training wheels so to speak. It does weeklycleaning tasks/homemade gifts/Xmas puddings etc. Martha Stewart eat your heart out..

Breaking things up helps: here's my current steps towards canning:

learning how to make pre-made chocolate drinks/soups

pre-made bake anything mixes/oatmeal packs (replicating convenience products like pizza bases etc).

Organising the pantry and working on a rotation system, learning to date products as soon as they come into the house. Have 200 days of food storeage now *YAY* and the other 100 days is still OAMC freezer stuff LOL.

Menu planning and OAMC. Learning to shop in advance.

Using jam setter to make fridge jams etc. Home made sauces.

Currently I'm a little side-tracked from this (doing a first-aid kit and working out a 72 hour kit. I learnt how to turn off the water main supply to the house LOL).

When I was a student I had a housekeeping book I'd received as a present: it told you how to sort out washing and stuff like that.

DO ONE THING. THEY DOMINO.

(I started off with being annoyed at the price of buying some muffins for lunch for work from the supermarket and the idea that I would do some homebaking and make my own muffins...they turned out...bought another muffin tray...froze them...had four weeks of lunches...

Muffins are entirely to blame : )

• 2 weeks later...

Housekeeping is hard! I've been married for 5 years and I'd say for the last 2 I've slowly started to improve. My cooking has been improving over the whole 5 years. It's been a slow process! I don't mind cleaning, such as mopping or scrubbing the toliet, but all the daily stuff to keep the house clean eludes me! I'm not organized, and I'm not systematic. I don't like cleaning the house up as the day goes by. I like cleaning then doing something else. Well anyways. My house isn't very straight! I'm trying to keep to my standards of clean and not other peoples. Sometimes my house will be all the way clean (not often) and then I think of the bookcase that is always untidy or the fridge needing organization etc. But just a moment ago I was thinking, my house was clean.... then I start seeing it through the eyes of someone else, a neat freak that I'm not some one like..... my mother!!

So, hmm, slow process. For cooking, watching food network helped, then allrecipes.com is awesome because people give reviews, so you can get good ideas on how to change things. Cleaning, ummmm it's been a slow process at getting myself organized. It's ok if things aren't perfect, right?

• 3 weeks later...

Our Enrichment leader has decided to "ask" each of us what we would like to teach as a "one on one" lesson, ie. canning, cooking with food storage, crocheting, etc. We then have also had the opportunity to "sign up" for something we would like to learn. I signed up to teach cooking with food storage and a newly married young woman has signed up to take it! I also wanted to learn basic sewing, so I am now looking for a sewing machine to learn on! We do these classes in our own home and it gives us the opportunity to get to know each other better. I am excited with this great idea. It kind of "extends" our enrichment meetings....from the home. :)

Guest DeborahC

I think this is such a good question!

I'm 56 and learned all the skills like canning, homemaking, cooking, sewing.

But there have been a couple of generations of women who grew up as latchkey kids or with their mothers working, and haven't had the opportunity to learn such skills.

I think the Relief Society should do these types of classes and I'd love to teach a few in my area!

That is one thing I think the OLD form of Relief Society had over this new form. . . opportunity to learn such skills from each other.

I'd love to do an exchange with someone who could teach ME how to use a serger I bought on craigslist!

There is an EXCELLENT book, by the way, on homemaking and homesteading skills that is one of my "old favorites."

It is called "Carla Emory's Old Fashioned Recipe Book."

It tells you how to can foods, raise animals, clean things, just about anything you can think of.

Highly recommended.

Edited by DeborahC

• 2 months later...

Go to your RS President and ask for help. That is her stewardship. There are many "older" sisters in each ward who would dearly love to help teach a young sister the ropes. we have a new sister in our ward from South America and she has asked for help learning the things she never had to do before she came here. The ward sisters are having a great deal of fun teaching her and learning from each other.

I'll see if I can present this in an organized manner.

There are many things you can do to tidy up a home.

- Declutter

Begin by getting rid of any clutter.

Have a designated area for everything, and make sure that when you use it, put it back. Make this a rule for the whole household.

By doing this, you can help to make your housework a bit lighter than not.

* In the kitchen

- Washing dishes

Well, this is fairly easy, you simply fill a sink full of hot soapy water and run the dish rag around the item until it is clean and then rinse. If there are hardened bits, simply let the item soak for a while and then wash and rinse.

- Wipe off all flat surfaces with a clean damp rag, you can either use plain water or soapy water or even some fancy surface cleaner and then rinse off any soap or chemical residue with a clean damp cloth. (you can either wipe the cabinets off before you wash the dishes or after wards, I do both depending upon the mess.)

- After drying or allowing the dishes to dry, put them in their place for storing.

- Sweeping

Well, sweeping isn't so hard, you kinda drag the ends of the broom in one direction, pushing all the dirt into one small area and then use a dustpan to pick it up and put it into the trash, making sure that you do get it all in the trash or you'll have to do it again.

- Mopping

Well, the best maneuver while using a rag type mop it to do what my dad called a Sailor Sweep. (much easier to show than to tell, but if you've ever seen sailors mopping a deck you know what I'm talking about, it is also easier on your body than the back and forth motion with a rag mop) It covers the most ground and doesn't cause so much streaking. Simply use warm soapy water and squeeze out the most of it from the mop.

Taking the mop you will start to one side and glide the mop to the other side and continue until the area you are mopping is clean. It is like making an infinity sign on the floor with the mop or the # 8 on its side. Of course, you will need to rinse the mop and begin again anytime the mop gets too dirty or you are simply making and spreading mud onto your floors.

If there is any residue left on the floors, simply wash out your mop with clean water and then rinse the floor using the same maneuver.

When you are using a sponge mop, you will use a back and forth movement to mop and rinse the floor.

Then let the floor dry. I generally put out a fan to blow on the floor to dry it more quickly. This cuts down on tracking over a clean floor.

Of course, you may want to do all your other cleaning before sweeping and mopping the floors as they should always be the last things you do when cleaning, however this is not some cold hard rule, just good sense.

*Gosh, I could write a book about cleaning the stove and the frig, but directions are on the can of oven cleaners or you may have a self cleaning oven.

- Refrigerators are easy, although time consuming, the best measure is to clean anything up as soon as it occurs.

Simply remove any old food and get rid of it.

Take out all the removable parts, wash and rinse them in the sink unless you want to use the water hose outside. ;)

Lay out a couple of towels on the cabinets so that when you are finished rinsing you can place your frig parts on them for drying.

After drying, place the parts back in the frig and then put back any food stuff that should go back in the frig.

In the bottoms of your frig drawers you may want to place paper towels to help soak up any spills and make for easier cleaning.

Wipe down the front and sides of frig and stove.

- Deep cleaning practices

When you are deep cleaning you will begin at the ceiling and work your way down to the floors.

Take a duster or clean dry rag and get down and dust and particles from the ceiling fans and molding work as well as the ceilings themselves.

You can either dust, wipe or sweep away any dust from walls.

If you are washing the walls always start at the bottom when you are using water or a solution, the reason for this is that if you begin at the top the water will run down your wall and running water leaves streaks that are very difficult to remove. So start at the bottom to eliminate this from happening.

- Wipe off all flat surfaces, using either a clean dry cloth or a clean damp cloth depending upon what you are wiping off.

- Most knickknacks, whatknots or paddywacks can be placed in a sink of soapy water to clean, however, make sure you place a dish towel in the bottom of the sink to help prevent any chipping or breakage and do not over fill the sink with whatknots.

Make sure you look on the bottom of them before placing them in water to see if they have any type of protective flannel under them. Do not place those that do in water as it will mess up the flannel. Simply wipe them off with a damp rag. Same goes for those items that are covered with a fur like material, it will wash off in water. Use a duster for those.

- Many times I will simply place all these items that are safe to do so in the dishwasher and wash them all at the same time, however you may not want to place anything that has gold paint on them in the dishwasher as some of those may loose that gold paint.

- Dust everything that needs dusting.

- When you are vacuuming, you can vacuum the furniture and the draperies using the special attachments. You can do the same to your bed mattress to remove dust mites.

(Ok, I have to get busy with another writing assignment so this is it for now, I'll be back later and give you more ideas)

If you have any special questions, ask and I'll see what we can do about that...

Edited by GingerGolden

- Cleaning the bathroom

If you need to dust or wash the walls follow the instructions above.

- Shower & Tub

You can use a solution of one part vinegar to four parts water or if you prefer bleach, use a solution of one part bleach and six parts water. Use an old toothbrush to clean any mildew stains from grout work. Rinse any residue and then let dry or wipe dry.

Get a spray bottle if you like for spraying the solutions.

If you clean the shower on a regular basis it isn't so hard to keep clean.

Sometimes I just take a wet cloth and wipe it down after getting a shower.

- Toilet

Use gloves. Use a toilet brush and a disinfectant toilet cleaner.

The outside of the toilet can be cleaned using a damp cloth of either clean water, a soap solution or a bathroom surface cleaner.

You can also put about a 1/2 cup of baking soda in the toilet tank and let sit over night. This will break down all the mineral deposits in the tank and bowl as well as leave your potty smelling better. Simply flush in the morning and if you like use the toilet brush again.

- Sink

This can be wiped clean using the vinegar solution mentioned above or simply a clean damp cloth.

- Mirrors

These can be wiped clean using warm soapy water or simply a clean damp cloth and then dried to prevent spotting.

- Remove the trash and put in a new bag. We use those small plastic grocery bags for the small trash cans, like in the bathroom.

- Floor as described above.

* when cleaning wood floors, Never leave water sitting as this can cause damage. Dry it up asap and only work in small sections at a time.

- Bathroom rugs and mats

Clean these at least once a month or biweekly to keep them from becoming slimy. Wash the rugs and scrub the mats with warm soapy water. If the mat is slimy and grimy and you can't get it clean throw it out and get another.

- Windows

you can use green rubbing alcohol to get your windows sparkling clean and then wipe dry or you can simply use a clean damp cloth and some mild soapy water, rinse and wipe dry.

Homemade glass cleaner: 3 tablespoons of either lemon juice or vinegar in a large spray bottle and then fill with water and shake.

- Carpets

Fresh stains should be cleaned up immediately.

Use clean water and a dry clean towel to do this.

* Rubbing alcohol will also remove stains from your carpeting such as inks.

Mix together 1/3-cup white vinegar and 2/3-cup water and shake use solution to blot away stains from drinks as well as odors.

- Cleaning stains from a mattress

mix a 1/2-cup of lemon juice in a spray bottle then fill with cold water. You can use a clean cloth or sponge to blot the lemon juice onto a stain. This helps remove bodily fluids as well as urine stains. Spray and blot with clean dry towel.

You can remove blood stains from a mattress or other fabrics by shaking salt onto the fresh blood and watch it draw the blood up off the mattress and into the salt. If the stain is dry, wet it with water and then add the salt. If it is old it may not come out, but fresh blood will be lifted out almost immediately by using salt. Wipe clean after cleaning.

- Wood Scratches on Furniture

* Always follow the grain of wood!

If the wood is mahogany or cherry you can rub area with a cotton swab dipped in iodine, unless it has no shellac.

If it does have shellac, use one part iodine and one part denatured to rub the scratch.

If you want to darken a scratch, use the walnut meat and rub directly on the scratch taking care not to get it everywhere else.

You can remove water marks by using a dry clean cloth and a warm iron on the area until the spot is gone.

Or you can use mayonnaise or white toothpaste to remove them and then use furniture polish for the entire piece.

Ammonia or silver polish will remove milk stains. Wipe and then wipe dry.

You can use a 1/2-cup of water and 1/4 cup of vinegar to clean leather furniture. Wipe dry and then use saddle soap. use a clean dry cloth and then rub quickly.

You can sit wicker furniture in the shower and wash or just re-hydrate the wood to keep it from becoming dry and brittle.

~~~

This is all I can think of at the moment. Hope it helps!