The Irish

CJchick84

Yes it's true...most of us are alcoholics and we drink, fight and drink some more and then sing about it. St. Patty's day is not only a religious holiday where many locals and tourists make the journey up Caugh Patrick Mt to the church on top and say a prayer or go to mass, but also another reason to drink. But we also have excellent music and dance....I was an Irish Step Dancer...I would be to this day if it wasn't for my darn knees.:P My family in Ireland are the definition of Catholic...there is a big portrait oF Jesus in there hallway with candles around it...(scary at night) and there is a bottle of holy water in every room.

Edited by CJchick84
adding some stuff

Yes it's true...most of us are alcoholics and we drink, fight and drink some more and then sing about it. St. Patty's day is not only a religious holiday where many locals and tourists make the journey up Caugh Patrick Mt to the church on top and say a prayer or go to mass, but also another reason to drink. But we also have excellent music and dance....I was an Irish Step Dancer...I would be to this day if it wasn't for my darn knees.:P My family in Ireland are the definition of Catholic...there is a big portrait oF Jesus in there hallway with candles around it...(scary at night) and there is a bottle of holy water in every room.

My wife is from the Kennedy clan does that count as Irish alcoholic? :lol:She does not drink...learning from her own family lines what does happen.

i am Irish and i did not drink too much . ( or too little ) ? The difference between black Irish and Irish is bush and black bush whisky from Bushmills distillers.

Only drank enough to find out the difference between black Irish and Irish? There was a TV series about a Black Irish crime family and I don't recall that it had to do with their drink preferences.

Black Irish is a traditional term believed to have originated in the United States that commonly ascribes to a dark brown or black hair phenotype appearing in Caucasian persons of Irish descent. This can be distinguished in contrast to the (lighter) brown, blond or red hair color variant, the latter stereotypically perceived to personify the look of typical Irish folk.[1] The term itself is rather ambiguous and not frequently used in everyday conversation. As such, the description of those it depicts has been known to vary to a degree in that some have differing views on which physical characteristics (e.g., dark hair, brown eyes, medium skin tone or dark hair, blue eyes, pale skin tone) best define the appearance of the so-called Black Irish

The term 'Black Irish' is also accompanied by claims suggesting these physical traits to be the result of an Iberian admixture originating with survivors of the Spanish Armada. However, the genetic contributions of the latter are likely to have been insignificant, as most Armada survivors were killed on the beaches, and many of the remnants eventually escaped from Ireland. It is believed that a group of Spanish soldiers ended up serving as armed retainers to the Irish chiefs Brian O'Rourke, Sorley Boy MacDonnell, and Hugh O'Neill, 2nd Earl of Tyrone. Consequently, these soldiers may have lived in Ireland long enough to father children, but did not constitute a very large number. The genetic evidence is that the survivors of the Spanish Armada probably left no legacy, as the Irish have only minute amounts of Neolithic Near Eastern Y chromosome genetic markers such as E3b and J, both of which are present in low, but significant, levels throughout Spain (with the exception of the Basque Country).[

It's funny...most of my family in Ireland and that came over here do drink....ALOT...but then I have a few family members that will go to a pub or bar and drink tea or coffee. That is just how it is over there I guess....I can't say that I have ever seen an in between. But Ireland is a beautiful country and the people are soooo nice. Went there when I was 18 for my cousin's wedding...and yes I drank cause I could (being legally able to) and had a little too much fun at the reception. It was February so it was a bit chilly but not like it was here in Chicago....actually it was colder in the church during the ceremony than it was outside. Also got to see family I hadn't seen in years and family I had never met! Great experience!!! Can't wait to go back someday!:D

Has anyone read the classic work: How the Irish saved Civilization?

Is that the book that points out that since most of the Catholic Italian clergy was illiterate they had to commission Irish scribes (Ireland, like Russia in the Dark Ages, maintained a desire to maintain learning -- well, at least with clergy and those connected with nobility) to write Bibles and commentary and then the Italians would claim it as their own?