Posthumous Sealing... For One?

unixknight

Forgive me if this has already come up... I didn't see it anywhere...

Suppose a couple, both members of the Church, plan to get sealed. Unfortunately, before the Sealing can take place one of them is killed in some sort of accident. Can the surviving member get sealed to the spouse that passed away?

I am in no way an expert on this subject. However, I have two friends, (met them on this site in fact years and years ago and she became my best friend)..they both were members of the Church. She however had a heart attack and died. He was able to get permission from the Church to be sealed to her by proxy.

I am in no way an expert on this subject. However, I have two friends, (met them on this site in fact years and years ago and she became my best friend)..they both were members of the Church. She however had a heart attack and died. He was able to get permission from the Church to be sealed to her by proxy.

That seems very logical to me, but I felt it a good idea to ask ;) Thanks!

Hi unixknight,

Yes it can be done. I've copied a section from the help files in New Family Search, dated July 15, 2008

For sealings to the dead, living persons should do the following:

To be sealed to a deceased spouse, see your bishop.

What the Bishop will do then I don't know, I'm afraid. Say yes, I suppose... :)

FF

if the couple were already married when one of them dies i think it's fairly easy, if they already had a marriage license etc when the death occurs then i'm sure it's doable but a bit more complicated.... if it's just on the word of the one person they were going to marry it could be much more complicated..... don't know what "evidence" might be required... my quick thoughts anyway. i'm sure the 1 yr waiting period would still apply.

The bishop will give the guidelines. Normally, one must wait a year after the person's death to perform temple ordinances, including sealings.

If the couple were not married, but engaged, the surviving individual would still need to see the bishop. Depending on the person's age, the bishop may or may not recommend a marriage/sealing at this time.

Again from the help files in New Family Search

One Year after Death

Church members may do ordinances for individuals who have been deceased for at least one year without regard to worthiness, mental ability, or cause of death.

Exceptions to the One-Year-after-Death Policy

For all exceptions to the one-year-after-death policy, see your bishop.

Worthy deceased members

No waiting period is required for deceased, worthy members who would have gone to a temple but were prevented by reasons beyond their control. See your bishop for a letter confirming the person's worthiness.

Worthy members who died within one year after baptism and confirmation can receive ordinances one year after their baptism date. See your bishop.

Worthy members who died within one year after a civil marriage can be sealed one year after the civil marriage date. See your bishop.

Hope this helps...

FF

I look forward to being able to do work for some of my family who have recently passed away....

My mom, who was a family history worker for many years in my home town, said that you can do temple work for your family who are not members a year after their death date...

Yes you can, as long as you are the next closest relative to said member.

When my oldest brother passes on, with permission from his wife, and permission from my older sister - I can then have the priesthood work done for him, then the endowments, and then sealed to our parents.

His son passed away in 2004- my brother & his wife have given us permission to do his work. They have asked that our baby brother stand as proxy. Once baby brother has regained his recommend, then the work will be done. For that I will walk the 1000+ miles to attend the Temple to witness the work!

I have relatives that are my mothers cousins who have passed on. Their children will not give us permission to do their vicarious work. Once the second cousins pass on, we feel that their children will give permission to do the work for their grandparents. They are not LDS themselves, but they see no harm in my branch of the family doing this work. They feel that their Grandparents will either accept or not - it is their choice.