Prepared to defend yourself?

NeuroTypical

Does someone in your home own a gun or other means of self defense?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Does someone in your home own a gun or other means of self defense?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (explain)

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even without shells in it there is nothing more intimidating in the dark that to hear the racking of a pump shotgun.

During the day, gun on the hip. During the night shotgun next to the bed. No 20 feet for me and the sound of breaking glass and barking dog gives me plenty of time to prepare.

It is not about protecting possessions. I often leave my house unlocked when I leave it. It is about protecting life and virtue. For that I want to be the best prepared and able to defend.

I do not workout for vanity. Crooks workout all day long, ever seen what prisioners look like? Ever tried to fight with someone on crank or other drugs, I have. I am prepared to defend my wife and daughters lives and virtue. The rest of what I have in the house can be replaced or not.

Ben Raines

Even without shells in it there is nothing more intimidating in the dark that to hear the racking of a pump shotgun.

During the day, gun on the hip. During the night shotgun next to the bed. No 20 feet for me and the sound of breaking glass and barking dog gives me plenty of time to prepare.

It is not about protecting possessions. I often leave my house unlocked when I leave it. It is about protecting life and virtue. For that I want to be the best prepared and able to defend.

I do not workout for vanity. Crooks workout all day long, ever seen what prisioners look like? Ever tried to fight with someone on crank or other drugs, I have. I am prepared to defend my wife and daughters lives and virtue. The rest of what I have in the house can be replaced or not.

Ben Raines

You work out? Hadn't noticed...just ribbin' ya!

Hey, along with your workout and guns you might find American Kenpo very useful in combating crooks on drugs. It is completely scientific and it doesn't matter what a person is on when you use it (I know this from experience).

Besides it being created by a devout LDS person...

Ben I think your fantastic and often agree with you and maybe its just because where I live is ridiculously safe but given its been my families attitude for generations even with a very unsafe background I don't think so. I just wonder why you would want to spend your life thinking someone is coming for you? Surely that person that is coming for you won the day you started preparing for it?

One of my favourite quotes is: Benajamin Franklin

Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security. I believe that - if I spend my life wondering what I would do if someone attacked me I would be trading my feeling of security and freedom - I have both because I know my instincts are good and I deal with situations when they come. Thats part of living in the moment

-Charley

Oh please don't get me wrong. I don't live in a castle or a fort. I freely roam the streets and alleys confident that I am in control of my surroundings. I go where I want to go and do what I want to do with total freedom. I don't have to go down a different street because I don't like the looks of the guys standing on the corner.

I truly believe in the verse that says: If ye are prepared ye shall not fear.

I believe that to be true in spiritual, material and physical sense. I am not one who believes that if I do nothing to prepare but I pray a lot that God will take care of me. He gave me intelligence, health and a good mind for a reason and I choose to use it.

No offense taken. Thank you.

Ben Raines

I wanted to add imo your instincts are dulled if you prepare ahead too far if you know you have your gun you may go to use that instead of taking a better option of throwing the lamp or poker at the assailant.

My family used instinct through 2 World Wars all men went to fight right from the start and the women only used air raid shelters when prompted (they were the night they either got bombed or the night my Grean Gran found a ring that has been our famiies security ever since) - all remained safe. Instincts keep you safe when walking streets at night - Ihave been prompted to walk a different way etc - if I had gone ready with a gun etc I may not have been on edge enough to listen. And after all the safest option is to avoid the situation in first place, my first instinct if we had an intruder would be to get everyone out not find my gun.

-Charley

Who is wanting to deprive anyone their obligation to defend themselves and their families?

4 members of the Supreme court, when we last checked with them.

My question was not aimed at people in general, but this forum. Who on this forum would wish to ban guns for defense in a home? Very few, if any.

Ah - gotcha. I haven't heard anyone in this thread try to make that case.

LM

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

Ben Raines

Ben, what is your address, and when are you and the family out of the house???

:lol:

Ben Raines

I would NEVER leave my home unlocked at any time--not even briefly. When I cut the lawn, I lock the door. If I park in front of the house to unload provisions, I relock the door when I go to park the car behind the house. I don't ever want to walk into my home and be confronted by someone hiding inside. If someone wants to enter my home, they're gonna have to work at it to get in.

I would NEVER leave my home unlocked at any time--not even briefly. When I cut the lawn, I lock the door. If I park in front of the house to unload provisions, I relock the door when I go to park the car behind the house. I don't ever want to walk into my home and be confronted by someone hiding inside. If someone wants to enter my home, they're gonna have to work at it to get in.

I haven't locked mine in about 5 years - I can't imagine living like that

-Charley

I hope you don't have kids. Think of how it would feel to wake up one morning and one of them is missing and all the kidnapper had to do was turn a doorknob--didn't even have to bust glass or make a noise or anything. Or waking up and someone is standing over the bed. No way, not anything I'd care to experience. I'm not going to take a chance when all I need to do is lock a door. It's simple and easy.

Things that make a random burglar move on to the next house:

1- Fence

2- Lighting

3- Dog

Unless you're being specifically targeted by someone out to get you personally, these 3 things can make the world of difference. Please note a lock isn't on that list. Professional folks who break and rob aren't incredibly impressed with locks.

All that said, my wife got a rather big chewing out by the cops at her personal protection class because we leave the door unlocked. I'm on my way to Home Depot right now to get a new set of deadbolts.

LM

Just keep in mind, when you rack your shotgun, you give away your location and the last thing you hear in this life may be the sound of your own shotgun chambering a round. Keep your shotgun loaded and let the last sound the bad guy hears be a loud bang.

I hope you don't have kids. Think of how it would feel to wake up one morning and one of them is missing and all the kidnapper had to do was turn a doorknob--didn't even have to bust glass or make a noise or anything. Or waking up and someone is standing over the bed. No way, not anything I'd care to experience. I'm not going to take a chance when all I need to do is lock a door. It's simple and easy.

I have soon to be 3 children lol anyone kidnapping my son would bring him back after a couple of nights:)

No more children are kidnapped today in my country than were in the 1970s, and most kidnaps occur by people you know which means they probably have a key anyway - the area I live in the last kidnap of a child by someone not related to them was 1850. There was one about 50 years earlier and the man that did it was hung and gibbeted in a field I can see from my house. I have never locked my house whilst in it and usually leave a window wide open for cat as well - person standing over my bed maybe - but I ain't going to go to bed thinking about him or her everynight, I'll deal when it happens, why be scared of someone or something that has yet to happen and where I live very unlikely, someone in a major city is more likely to have their locked house broken into - we have a dog and a cat can't see anyone getting in unnoticto ed at night. Last time my brother tried sneaking in the cats loud manner of greeting woke everyone up lol -

Na I have a home not castle or a fortress one that engenders love not fear or paranoia. Just personally do not want to live that way - whats the worst that happens we get tortured and killed? death holds no major fear for me its ultimately what we are on Earth to do - before death I can fight,

-Charley

Ben I think your fantastic and often agree with you and maybe its just because where I live is ridiculously safe but given its been my families attitude for generations even with a very unsafe background I don't think so. I just wonder why you would want to spend your life thinking someone is coming for you? Surely that person that is coming for you won the day you started preparing for it?

One of my favourite quotes is: Benajamin Franklin

Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security. I believe that - if I spend my life wondering what I would do if someone attacked me I would be trading my feeling of security and freedom - I have both because I know my instincts are good and I deal with situations when they come. Thats part of living in the moment

-Charley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More media attention. Not forgetting, there were only three to four channels. Today, I barely watch anything that is shown on NBC, ABC, or even CBS.

• 2 weeks later...

...However, I live in a fairly safe town, with a cop as a neighbor, so am not too concerned.

I have to say I saw an episode of a show on the Discovery Channel (It Takes a Thief) where someone had this exact situation and was robbed blind while the cop neighbor was home. I'm saying this as a sincere concern for others (not trying to offend), but I hope you practice better security than that? I know I don't know how life is for you but I'm just taking your statement at face value.

A police officer recently told me about how he was off work in plain clothes, standing in line at the bank. 3 people ahead of him in line was a bank robber, who calmly handed the teller a note, got his big bag of cash, walked out, and drove off. Nobody made a fuss, he had no way of knowing the bank is being robbed.

They caught the guy a few miles away in his car.

LM

Well, I believe in being safe. But I also believe that in some situations, a person can go overboard. I do live in a safe neighborhood. Are there chances and risks out there? Of course.

A rogue offender could break into my house. I could be standing in line next to a bank robber. The sky could fall. Etc.

After moving to a another house, I didn't realize how much 9-mm ammo I had since my hay days of the military. :) Boxes and boxes. Then I found some unsual 38-mm buckshot shells. These were used by the Marines for urban warfare tests. They contain 8 38-mm balls in each 12-gauge shell. Amazing what we find when we move. :lol:

38mm? Are you sure? seems awfully large to me, since 25mm is around an inch. Maybe you meant 3.8mm?