Irony vs Sarcasm

Connie

:P

I found this on Wikipedia's definition of Irony.

A fair amount of confusion has surrounded the issue regarding the relationship between verbal irony and sarcasm, and psychology researchers have addressed the issue directly (e.g, Lee & Katz, 1998). <snip>

of the speakers. Regardless of the various ways theorists categorize figurative language types, people in conversation are attempting to decode speaker intentions and discourse goals, and are not generally identifying, by name, the kinds of tropes used.

Is there going to be a test after this? Can it be open book? :P

You are really overthinking sarcasm and irony. And based on my perception, you seem to feel there's something wrong with using sarcasm? Do I have that right?

If so, that's unfortunate, because the words themselves rarely mean the extremes this essay addresses.

There are so many variations of the words we use that make it impossible, in every day life, to pin down "sarcastic" or "irony." Unless it is strongly overt, it's rarely going to be just one or the other.

One example: I am a quiet person. I don't talk a lot. People will often say to me something to the effect of, "Gee, Connie, you really need to let everyone else get a word in edgewise." Most would probably consider this a sarcastic statement. And while it can be given a certain tone of voice and jeering snear, most often they simply mean it ironically.

Of course you know your friends, and I can be completely wrong. But I don't hear what you hear at all.

I would say they did use a touch of sarcasm, nuanced with a tinge of irony, and the result was a sweet reminder to you that they care about you, know you are quiet, but are available to you if you wish to talk.

In other words, they're teasing you. And when people who love you tease you, it's an endearing thing.

I hope this rovides some perspective. Becaise I've just turned into the pedantic I hate, and have written far too many words, nuanced of course, about sarcasm, and irony. :P

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba

:P

Is there going to be a test after this? Can it be open book? :P

You are really overthinking sarcasm and irony. And based on my perception, you seem to feel there's something wrong with using sarcasm? Do I have that right?

If so, that's unfortunate, because the words themselves rarely mean the extremes this essay addresses.

There are so many variations of the words we use that make it impossible, in every day life, to pin down "sarcastic" or "irony." Unless it is strongly overt, it's rarely going to be just one or the other.

Of course you know your friends, and I can be completely wrong. But I don't hear what you hear at all.

I would say they did use a touch of sarcasm, nuanced with a tinge of irony, and the result was a sweet reminder to you that they care about you, know you are quiet, but are available to you if you wish to talk.

In other words, they're teasing you. And when people who love you tease you, it's an endearing thing.

I hope this rovides some perspective. Becaise I've just turned into the pedantic I hate, and have written far too many words, nuanced of course, about sarcasm, and irony. :P

Elphaba

your in trouble if I am grading the papers......:D

Oh well. I thought it was interesting information. I love words. And i enjoy discussing semantics. I mean, Latter-Day Saints and other Christians can say the same word and mean different things. It's important in people understanding each other to discuss what is meant by any given word or phrase. But now i'm just rambling.