Getting a second patriarchal blessing?

gualeguaychu

Suppose someone was a member of the church and received a patriarchal blessing, and then fell away from the church or is ex-communicated. If that person later becomes a member in good standing, can they get another patriarchal blessing? It would seem that all of the blessings and promises of the first blessing would be lost due to that persons actions. Has anyone heard of anything like this?

"It is [a stake patriarch's] business and right to bestow blessings upon the people, to make promises unto them in the name of the Lord... by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, to comfort them in the hours of sorrow and trouble, to strengthen their faith by the promises that shall be made to them through the Spirit of God" (Joseph F. Smith, Gospel Doctrine, 5th ed. [1939], 181).

I am a very unusual member of the church because I did get 2 blessings!

Same thing happened to me! I asked the patriarch who was also a member in my ward if such a thing could happen. He told me as long as my Bishop gave me a recommend. I asked my Bishop and he told me as long as the patriarch said he could. SO, I did !

When I got the second one he told me that this new one would replace the first. After the blessing and as I walked out of the office, he called me back and said,"No! It is a continuation!" So even though i have 2, I put them together to get a more complete one!

Good luck on your quest! It can be done!

While I am not on a quest to get a second PB, I appreciate your input. I was just asking because as I was reading my PB tonight, I got thinking about how one of the choices I made in life could possibly nullify a portion of my Patriarchal blessing, and then I got thinking about people who might possibly have forfeited all their blessings, and what they would do.

Thanks

I wonder if the same rule holds true for the patriarchal blessing as it does for the temple blessing. When I came back to the church and had my temple blessings restored, I was told that the past was wiped out, and they even restored my original baptism date, and my original endowment date.

Me too.

i got 2 blessings, about 2 months apart. when i got my first the recorder had something malfunction and the patriarch could not transcribe it. nothing was recorded so he called me back to do it again. i didn't need to get a second recommend for it. i know that's not really what you are talking about.

also know a man that lived to be very old, still alive actually lol i think he's in his 90's, who prayed about his and found it to have been completed... he outlived his blessing. lol he is a patriarch by the way. he went to the bishop and the bishop gave him permission for a new one, so he got a second one.... though i'm not sure who gives a patriarch a blessing, wouldn't think he could do it himself... lol again i know not really what you are talking about.

lol i guess i don't really have anything to contribute.

I have been told that if a person really wants one, they can go get another.

For me, I was 16 and one Sunday morning, my mom came and woke me up and said, "Get your church clothes on, we have a meeting". We drove to a guys house and I got my blessing.

At this point in my life, I was NOT prepared for a blessing of this nature. There is no way that I should have received it, I wasn't worthy, nor was I prepared.

When I described this a few years ago to our stake pres, he said that if I wanted, he would authorize me to get another blessing.

i have been told that if a person really wants one, they can go get another.

For me, i was 16 and one sunday morning, my mom came and woke me up and said, "get your church clothes on, we have a meeting". We drove to a guys house and i got my blessing.

At this point in my life, i was not prepared for a blessing of this nature. There is no way that i should have received it, i wasn't worthy, nor was i prepared.

When i described this a few years ago to our stake pres, he said that if i wanted, he would authorize me to get another blessing.

get one !

I am a very unusual member of the church because I did get 2 blessings!

Same thing happened to me! I asked the patriarch who was also a member in my ward if such a thing could happen. He told me as long as my Bishop gave me a recommend. I asked my Bishop and he told me as long as the patriarch said he could. SO, I did !

When I got the second one he told me that this new one would replace the first. After the blessing and as I walked out of the office, he called me back and said,"No! It is a continuation!" So even though i have 2, I put them together to get a more complete one!

Good luck on your quest! It can be done!

Correct...

After reading this thread I think that mayhaps I should get another Patriarchal Blessing. I got mine when I was fourteen, and my life is so different from what I thought it would be and my life is rather unique in many regards that it may be prudent to do so.

But, then I wonder, what's the difference between a PB and personal revelation? Is it possible to find out everything I need to know without it? But then again, there must be some special difference. . .

This is intresting. I got my patrarical blessing when I was thirteen. My mom said I was really young to get it. I remember hearing about patarical blessings when I was in Young Women's and I strongly desired to get mine. So I remember that day I got it. It was very special and at times that I struggled with my choices mainly with school and the choices I made when it came to changing my major when it helped me so very much at that time. I often wonder if I was too young to understand the blessings in the promises it gave to me. Now I think of my blessing now that I've finished my first degree in school and looking for direction. I am not sure if I should get another one. I guess it would be up to me and the sprit.

I don't think it is prudent for most people to get a second blessing. Heavenly Father knows us, he knows what our choices are going to be, how our life will go along before we get there. Our blessing is not just for our mortal life but continues for eternity. Even though some may have been very young when they received it, it still came from Him.

If you feel very strongly about it, then ask, but it should be on a very unique basis.

• 3 months later...

After reading this thread I think that mayhaps I should get another Patriarchal Blessing. I got mine when I was fourteen, and my life is so different from what I thought it would be and my life is rather unique in many regards that it may be prudent to do so.

But, then I wonder, what's the difference between a PB and personal revelation? Is it possible to find out everything I need to know without it? But then again, there must be some special difference. . .

I think the same...I was 14 when I had mine and it talks mainly about seminary, school, exams, and how to choose the right husband. All these things have happened for me so it seems outdated-its aimed at a 14 year olds life. I might ask about another one too.

That's interesting, Soul_Searcher. It's odd that the PB wouldn't go beyond marriage. I can say that mine does.

I confess that it would be really cool to get another PB. Would I get more info and direction for my life? It seems EASIER than fasting, praying, and studying.

I think the same...I was 14 when I had mine and it talks mainly about seminary, school, exams, and how to choose the right husband. All these things have happened for me so it seems outdated-its aimed at a 14 year olds life. I might ask about another one too.

If you lack the Testimony you say you do on other threads...why would you want another PB?????

It used to be a common practice to get more than one. Many (if not most) of the early saints have more than one.

My ggggreat grandfather had 2. Joseph Smith had about 4.

By the way, you can get copies of your ancestors PB's by emailing Salt Lake. You can search microfilm to find out when, where, etc they were given and then order them. It used to take months and months to get the copy. Now it only takes a couple weeks.

It is a very special thing to read the promises given your ancestors.

If you lack the Testimony you say you do on other threads...why would you want another PB?????

Dunno really. To see what it says. Why not?

By the way, you can get copies of your ancestors PB's by emailing Salt Lake. You can search microfilm to find out when, where, etc they were given and then order them. It used to take months and months to get the copy. Now it only takes a couple weeks.

It is a very special thing to read the promises given your ancestors.

I'm slightly obsessed with my ancestors. That would be interesting, I might do it.

Suppose someone was a member of the church and received a patriarchal blessing, and then fell away from the church or is ex-communicated. If that person later becomes a member in good standing, can they get another patriarchal blessing? It would seem that all of the blessings and promises of the first blessing would be lost due to that persons actions. Has anyone heard of anything like this?

James E. Faust said:

“Generally, one patriarchal blessing is adequate, and second patriarchal blessings are not encouraged. If a worthy member has an important reason for desiring a second patriarchal blessing, the member may discuss it with his or her bishop.

“The giving of additional patriarchal blessings may have been more common in the past. My grandmother, Maude Wetzel Faust, was challenged like most mothers with the raising of her children. She made an offhanded remark that the children were driving her crazy. My grandfather took her to the stake patriarch who blessed her that her "reason would never be dethroned." The blessing was literally fulfilled. She died at eighty-seven years of age, and she was joking with the nurses on the way to the operating room where she died from a ruptured appendix.”- Patriarchal Blessings, speeches.byu.edu

Something a few of us may wish to consider. :)