Tithing Money - Where Does it Go?

HoosierGuy

I recently posted a blog on tithing money. Some one replied to my post and asked -

What does the Mormon church do with all the tithing money they collect? 10% of every mormon's income? Where does all that untaxed money go?

So, let’s break down tithing and where the money goes. I don’t really know myself. The one thing I do know is that the money I tithe does help the True Church of Jesus Christ and the Prophet and all the Apostles would never misuse the money. In fact, i would be willing to let any of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve to hold my wallet and not peak inside of it. I would trust my wallet with my Bishop as well. I can guarantee he would not peak inside my wallet if I asked him to hold it.

So, break it down:

On a Tithing sheet there are these categories:

1. Tithing

2. Fast offering

3. Ward missionary

4. General missionary

5. Book of Mormon

6. Humanitarian aid

7. Temple construction

8. Perpetual education

9. Other (specify)

How is the money used in each of these categories?

I usually prayerfully give something every week to either general missionary, book of mormon, humanitarian aid, or temple construction. Even if its just a few pesos, I know each one will be used in the best way possible by our leaders. I am just thankful that I have not been given the responsibility to decide how the tithing is spent. That's an enormous responsibility.

I recently posted a blog on tithing money. Some one replied to my post and asked -

What does the Mormon church do with all the tithing money they collect? 10% of every mormon's income? Where does all that untaxed money go?

So, let’s break down tithing and where the money goes. I don’t really know myself. The one thing I do know is that the money I tithe does help the True Church of Jesus Christ and the Prophet and all the Apostles would never misuse the money. In fact, i would be willing to let any of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve to hold my wallet and not peak inside of it. I would trust my wallet with my Bishop as well. I can guarantee he would not peak inside my wallet if I asked him to hold it.

So, break it down:

1. Tithing

2. Fast offering

3. Ward missionary

4. General missionary

5. Book of Mormon

6. Humanitarian aid

7. Temple construction

8. Perpetual education

9. Other (specify)

You can only find this info on the UK church as it is required to make this info available.

Tithing goes to the expenses of running the church on a daily basis. It goes toward church buildings and temples, and keeping the infrastructure going, as well as subsidizing Church-owned schools, colleges, and universities.

Fast offerings are generally kept by the bishop and dispersed as the local leaders see fit to aid those in their jurisdiction who are in need. It helps pay rent and utilities, buy groceries, and other temporal needs.

Ward missionary fund is used to help support missionaries from the local ward.

General missionary fund is sent to the Church's missionary department to use as they see fit.

Book of Mormon fund goes toward publishing and shipping copies of the Book of Mormon all over the world, generally for use by the missionaries.

Humanitarian aid fund is earmarked to go to the Welfare Department of the church, and is used to provide for the humanitarian efforts of the Church worldwide. It can go towards buying clothing and blankets or hygiene kits or any of a number of things needed when disaster strikes a region.

Temple construction funds are earmarked to go directly to the construction of temples worldwide. This would be a contribution over and above tithing.

The perpetual education fund was set up to aid those who live in third-world countries obtain loans or grants to go to college. The idea is that when the person who receives aid is able to, they repay the money and the funds are used to help someone else go to college or trade school.

The 'other' box is used for other things for which there is no appropriate box. One of the most common uses of this is when people repay the ward for dinner at the temple on a special ward temple night. The ward issues a check to the temple and the individuals pay the ward and put the funds in the 'other' box.

So, break it down:

1. Tithing

2. Fast offering

3. Ward missionary

4. General missionary

5. Book of Mormon

6. Humanitarian aid

7. Temple construction

8. Perpetual education

9. Other (specify)

Tithing is the lords money. it is used only for purposes of bettering and building his kingdom, nothing else; If one chooses to donate to another category as well as tithing and fast; that is up to you. but tithing is mandatory and is used {very wisely} to do his work.:)

1. Tithing

2. Fast offering

3. Ward missionary

4. General missionary

5. Book of Mormon

6. Humanitarian aid

7. Temple construction

8. Perpetual education

9. Other (specify)

Each of these are there own category to where you can donate money. This isn’t a pick and choose where you want your tithing to go.

The first option is for tithing. 10% of your income. This is the only one that is “required”.

Tithing is used anything the church uses for money. Mostly Keeping up Churches and church own buildings, Church employees, and church material. The manuals you get, the ward party you enjoy and so forth all come from tithing that is given to the ward to run.

The real majority from what I have heard that tithing is used for is really BYU, and the other Universities the church owns.

Fast Offers is just that, the money you give to the ward for fasting for two meals (the money you would have spend, pulse some more). This usually kept in the local wards and stakes, what ever is not used is turned to the church in SLC and the church does it for any humanitarian work.

Missionary- is just that, is for missionaries. When a family has a missionary serving the family pays the church so much money a month (it’s a set amount, but I’m not sure what is now days) each family pays the same amount. You can donate money to this fund to help out missionaries.

Book of mormon is for the printing of the book of mormon, and to help cover the cost. I’m sure tithing helps in this area

Humanitarian Aid is what you would think, the church has other Humanitarian organzations that they also give money to (that aren’t owned by the church).

Temple is to help build temples

Perpetual Education is just that.

Other is used for other times when members or wards have some function and they have you donate money to the ward.

The church also has many businesses that it runs, and owns pretty much all the land in the Salt Lake Valley (it really doesn’t own it, but it kind of did at one point in time). Some people lease the land from the church, some they sell.

The church is doing a big downtown renovation in Downtown Salt Lake City (Temple Square). But all the money that is used for this comes from other investments the Church has, and even though it is going to cost some billions of dollars in the end the Church well make money.

I don't know exactly where it goes. What I do know is that I go outside and through all of my money up into the air. The Lord takes his ten percent and I keep the rest (at least I assume He takes His ten percent, since I never seem to be able to find more than 90 percent of what I tossed up there).

Just kidding, of course, but I do know the money is used wisely and often helps not only keep the ward buildings heated, but enables the Bishops and stake leaders to help those who need some financial assistance, for example.

From The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--

One of the blessings of membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the privilege of paying tithing. This privilege is a double blessing. By paying tithing, Church members show their gratitude to God for their blessings and their resolve to trust in the Lord rather than in material things. They also help further the work of the Lord in the earth, blessing others of God’s children with the opportunity to learn of Him and to grow in the gospel.

Through the prophet Malachi, the Lord declared:

"Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it" (Malachi 3:10).

Church members give their tithing donations to local leaders. These local leaders transmit tithing funds directly to the headquarters of the Church, where a council determines specific ways to use the sacred funds. This council is comprised of the First Presidency, the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and the Presiding Bishopric. Acting according to revelation, they make decisions as they are directed by the Lord. (See D&C 120:1.)

Tithing funds are always used for the Lord's purposes—to build and maintain temples and meetinghouses, to sustain missionary work, to educate Church members, and to carry on the work of the Lord throughout the world.

It's funny, we don't have a box on our tithing slips for Perpetual Education Fund. Of course we do have people in our ward receiving help from the Perpetual Education Fund. PEF is a wonderful instrument for helping to build up Zion. So many people who may not otherwise be able to go to university are able to get the education they need to help their families.

About fast offerings, if I am not mistaken, not all fast offering money stays in the same ward. For example, from what I understand, the Philippines gives out more in fast offering assistance than it receives in fast offering donations. This excess comes from wealthier countries.

Missionaries efforts are expensive as well. One figure quoted last year was that the Church spends approximately $2000 on missionary expenses per convert.

Tithings also go to support church publications. The Liahona magazine, for example, costs just 30 pesos per year. How much is that? Less than 60 cents per year, or just 5 cents an issue. Each magazine costs much, much more than that to print up and send all the way to each ward and branch in the Philippines, so you can do the math. Economy triples cost $2 each here in the Philippines. They cost more than that to produce. The list goes on and on.

I know for a typical church goer in the US, it might sometimes be hard to see where their tithings and offerings are being used, but I see it each and every day here. I am amazed that there is enough to do all that the Church is doing here.

About fast offerings, if I am not mistaken, not all fast offering money stays in the same ward. For example, from what I understand, the Philippines gives out more in fast offering assistance than it receives in fast offering donations. This excess comes from wealthier countries.

I believe you are correct on this. I think the way it works is that excess fast offerings which the local units do not have a use for are sent on to Church HQ who then send it to areas which are in need of it. My understanding of this is that fast offering funds are not mixed with general tithing funds, but they are separate funds throughout the Church.

As Jadams said, tithing is a separate box and is to be 10% of your increase. The other boxes are not boxes where you can designate where you want your tithing spent. They are funds and donations you can choose to contribute to in addition to tithing.

1. Tithes go to pay the normal, everyday functioning of the Church. The Church owns a lot of property (Church buildings, farms, storehouses, etc), which require funds to operate properly. We complete several chapels per week, which means funding them AND the utilities and upkeep. Not to mention the thousands of chapels currently being used. Tithes are also used for study materials, creating and paying for media events, General Authority travel, etc. Tithes can also be used as a general fund to support the other funds below.

2. Fast Offerings go directly to helping the poor, specifically with short term needs.

3. Ward missionary funds go to the ward to help missionaries being sent out from that ward. Many families are poor, cannot afford the $400/month for a young man to go out, and this allows the ward to assist. At the end of the year, wards are encouraged to send their excess funds to the general missionary fund.

4. General missionary funds go to the central Church, where they are distributed to help the work primarily in poorer nations. Many third world members are sent on missions due to the funds provided in this fund.

5. Book of Mormon fund pays for BoMs the missionaries distribute out. I remember on my mission having to buy many of the books we distributed out. With this fund, it allows the elders to keep their personal funds for their personal needs.

6. Humanitarian aid fund assists with natural disasters throughout the world. For anyone who assisted in any of the many hurricane, flood or fire disasters in the last few years in the USA, you will notice the Church provides cleaning kits, etc., for the aid. When a hurricane hit Florida in the early 1990s, the Church provided 3000 chain saws to the US Army (requisition time for them was a month!), along with truck loads of supplies. Such supplies were also sent to New Orleans after Katrina hit.

7. Temple construction fund allows new temples to be built. Specific contributions by a couple wealthy members to this fund brought about the construction of the Nauvoo Temple, for instance. It has also allowed us to go from 40+ temples in 1995 to over 120 temples now.

8. Perpetual education fund allows members in third world nations to obtain an education, and therefore a better paying job. This allows members to take care of themselves better, and become a strength to their home wards/branches. Once they are in a better job, they repay their loan to the PEF, so that the fund is "perpetuating".

9. Other (specify) - this fund is used primarily for a ward's internal use. It is not used for official donations, but for payments for Scout camp, ward food storage bulk purchases, or other unit efforts, where the members send their moneys in for a mutual purpose.