Depression, Negative Thoughts and Drugs

HoosierGuy

Hi Hoosier, I'm another with clinical depression, I've been on medication for years, and have to advise you to let your physician know if one that you try isn't working for you, there are dozens of different anti depressants available.

In addition to medication I have had counselling and have completed a course of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. There is a website thru which you can have CBT online, free of charge..CBT is very effective at turning your negative thoughts into positives, try it..let us know if you find it helps, but keep up with your current counselling as well.

Good Luck

CBT Online:

Living Life To The Full

Register with the site to receive the tools required, make sure the computer you're using has sound and a printer..

• 2 weeks later...

There are studies that show you can change your brain chemistry by changing your thoughts. Medications change brain chemistry too. Whether you decide to try the medications or try to control your thoughts without medications is up to you. What is right for one person sometimes isn't right for another.

I know that's not very helpful.

What I do know is my own experience. When the negativte thoughts start for me I keep a blessings journal, I sing hymns (usually I am a Child of God), I'll listening to an uplifting talk on tape (John Bytheway makes me laugh while teaching important gospel principles). Pray. Pray. Pray. and Pray again.

There are other ways to change your thoughts. be creative

I'll try to find the article about this subject that was in Newsweek a month or so ago. I think I posted it on another thread.

applepansy

I finally found the article When DNA is Not Destiny | Newsweek Voices - Sharon Begley | Newsweek.com

Well, my therapist and I are starting Cognitive Therapy. I thought we were doing that already but we started a few days ago. I took a turn for the worse last week.

I'm also on an anti-depressant medication. So I will try that along with the therapy.

My negative thoughts? The bad ones are like this - I see a lady I want to talk to in a store or something. I think about going up and saying hi. But deep in my soul I know she thinks I'm trash, crazy, ugly, etc... I have no chance. Everyone hates me.

I trust my therapist. He opens up to me and I'm starting to open up to him. He gave me a new cool way to deal with negative thoughts. I don’t want to say what it is but it’s cool to me.

What amazes me is that so many people suffer with this and it still is such a stigma.... One of the ways that help me cope is volunteering... I help at the school, I help teach beginning band, I help fundraise fore my kids school programs.... makes it more manageable ... never goes away .. constant battle reframing your thoughts..... It affects every area of my life and I know that desterate feeling.... I said before I am trying to overcome this without meds.. I have never found the right one.. Some are very lucky to find the right one right off. ot sure if I will succeed without but I have 3 mos to try and then will decide. I wish you luck in your journey.