Official Church Representatives at the Inaguration

KeithLBrown

This article appears in the Saturday morning, 17 January 2009 edition of the Deseret News. (Deseret News | LDS Church leaders to attend Obama inauguration)

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, second counselor in the First Presidency, and Elder M. Russell Ballard, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, will represent the LDS Church at inaugural events for President-elect Barack Obama.

President Thomas S. Monson asked the two leaders to represent The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at the swearing-in ceremony on Jan. 20 and the National Prayer Service at Washington's National Cathedral on Jan. 21.

"It is always an honor for the church to be represented at the inauguration of a new president," President Monson said. "We send our best wishes to President-elect Obama and pray for the blessings of a loving Father in Heaven to be upon him and his administration."

"It is always an honor for the church to be represented at the inauguration of a new president," President Monson said. "We send our best wishes to President-elect Obama and pray for the blessings of a loving Father in Heaven to be upon him and his administration."

What a lovely and gracious comment from President Monson.

It's very refreshing.

Elphaba

While not official representatives, the University of Utah Marching Band will be there. Probably Steve Martin too.

This is the band I'll be looking out for:

Troubled Boys Step Up to Inaugural Challenge

"BRANDON can’t stop drumming.

"After rehearsal, when his drum and sticks are packed away, he uses his hands — on the table, on the floor, on the walls.

He drums in his room. He drums at meals. He drums with chunky fingers flying against his desk, even if the teacher shoots him a stern look.

"Brandon drums because on Tuesday he will march down Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, in the parade following the inauguration of President Barack Obama.

. . . .

"It’s an unbelievable, unlikely, undreamed-of honor for a boy like him and the 15 others who will be marching alongside him. They are residents of the Bonnie Brae Residential Treatment Center, a rural campus here housing 98 boys ages 8 to 18 who cannot live in the community at large because of what the state calls “psychiatric and behavioral challenges.” Nearly 80 percent were abused, neglected or abandoned, and failed to adjust to traditional foster care. Fifteen percent do not have homes in the traditional sense and are wards of the state. Some ended up at Bonnie Brae because they got in trouble with the law. They stay an average of 16 months."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love that the inaugural committee chose this band, and even more, I love that this band worked so hard to get there. I will be excited to see what they do.

Elphaba

Uchtdorf is for all practical purposes a "head honcho"... I mean, he is also a profet, seer, and revelator. That's a lot more than many of us will ever be on this earth.

After seeing that only "mainstream" religions got to play a significant role in the Prayer Service, I'm not surprised to see Ballard and Uchtdorf there instead of Monson. If a prayer was to actually be offered, it might be different.

I can't believe they let a female "minister" give the main prayer. That is just not even biblical. I guess I'd be considered a chauvinist for saying that today...

At least we know our church has the true authority to act in the name of Jesus Christ.

I can't believe they let a female "minister" give the main prayer. That is just not even biblical. I guess I'd be considered a chauvinist for saying that today...

In 2009 we will have to rely on the spirit of Archie Bunker to ponder why they are repecting the rights and abilities of women as if they were men. The rest of us think of it as something positive.

I'm not sure what you mean by your comment[, Moksha]. I don't know you well enough to tell whether you agree or disagree with me. Hard to tell somebody's tone when just reading.

Moksha wasn't agreeing with you. It doesn't matter though- you have a point in that female ministers are, in actuality, not biblical. Moksha was pointing to the apparent strides in social equality that having a female minster give the prayer hints at, while you were remarking on the strict biblical inaccuracy of a female minister. I think it should be left at that.

Anyway, I am excited to learn that there were official LDS representatives at the inauguration! I never thought about it, but it would make sense to have some there.

Knowing the extremely hectic travel schedule of the General Authorities, I doubt it had anything to do with anyone's health. At least, I hope it had nothing to do with anyone's health... While the inauguration is an important political event, the GA's are called to reside over the Church. The three great missions of the Church (proclaiming the Gospel, perfecting the saints, performing works for the dead) don't include political agendas, so the GA's normal travel and work schedules would trump attendance at the inauguration. Elders Uchtdorf and Ballard may have been the only ones available.

Maybe I'm too young to know Archie Bunker and his spirit... sorry

No problem. Archie was canceled many seasons ago, but I am assuming his spirit lives on. Showing my age in referencing him I guess but hey, Pam or Captain Curmudgeon probably remember Milton Berle.

As far as not knowing what I mean, welcome to the club. I find myself being a part time member. In this case though, I think a prayer offered by a female minister (or any woman to be exact) is a positive thing.

I'm probably going to be flamed for this, but I have no problems with a female minister at all. That female wasn't just a minister, she's the presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church, which is one reason why I call myself Episcopalian. It was also nice to know that the LDS church was represented last Tuesday as it shows the religious diversity in this country.

Edited by ADoyle90815

My church is something of an anomaly on this issue. We are conservative, believe in biblical inerrancy, and yet believe the Bible does make room for female ministers. It's a rather in depth discussion, but given that your church does not have full-time clergy at all, I'm not sure why gender would be an issue.

Hey guys...

It is indeed a great thing that a woman offered the prayer. I love that. We have women offer prayers all the time in our church.

ADoyle, I appreciate your comment. My issue is the fact that she's a "presiding bishop"... Our church (which I consider the true church of Jesus Christ today) would have her HUSBAND be the presiding bishop, because we believe we have a heavenly FATHER and all of the profets and bishops and priests have always been MALES, not FEMALES. Male and female form a cohesive unit in matrimony and are equal in this sense.

I don't know why it's this way, but I know that it is how it has been from the beginning.

Hey guys...

It is indeed a great thing that a woman offered the prayer. I love that. We have women offer prayers all the time in our church.

ADoyle, I appreciate your comment. My issue is the fact that she's a "presiding bishop"... Our church (which I consider the true church of Jesus Christ today) would have her HUSBAND be the presiding bishop, because we believe we have a heavenly FATHER and all of the profets and bishops and priests have always been MALES, not FEMALES. Male and female form a cohesive unit in matrimony and are equal in this sense.

I don't know why it's this way, but I know that it is how it has been from the beginning.

I understand your thoughts from an LDS perspective, however we do also believe in allowing others the freedom to worship in the way they choose. Which would also include a female Bishop.