Have not been able to find answers...

Galt

I haven't been able to find answers to my questions on the 'net.

Background: I'm a member of the Church (adult convert) and hold the Aaronic Priesthood. Although I've kept the commandments and been faithful in every area of my life (I do suffer the occasional weakness and repent of them in a timely manner.), I have no desire to move on to the Melchizedek Priesthood. In fact, to be totally honest, I have seen no discernable difference in my life between being a holder of the Aaronic Priesthood and being baptized and confirmed. If I could, I would simply be released of the Aaronic Priesthood.

I know that this is probably offensive to most of the folks here. It's not meant to be. I'm simply being honest about all of this.

I'm planning on talking to my bishop about it but I'd like to get some feedback, ideas, etc. here. This is not easy for me.

My hubby and i have been studying the Doctrine and Covenants. There is a ton in there on the priesthood, both the Aaronic and Melchizedek. You might try starting there. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. :)

For the men, the Aaronic Priesthood is a preparatory priesthood for the Melchizedek Priesthood. The Melchizedek Priesthood holds the "keys of the knowledge of God."

All must receive the Second Comforter before entering the Celestial Kingdom. For some it will happen in this life. For most of us, it will happen after this life. But it must happen for all.

The Lord will not force you to obey Him. So the question is -- what do you want?

If you do not want to hold His priesthood, then you cannot endure everlasting burnings. The choice is yours.

The Lord is merciful. He will respond to the slightest desire to understand. Go to Him in prayer. Be honest with Him as you have been with us. Tell Him of your fears and doubts and feelings. Ask for understanding and guidance. It will come, I promise.

I have no desire to move on to the Melchizedek Priesthood

What is the Melchizedek Priesthood to you? What is your understanding of the purpose of it?

In fact, to be totally honest, I have seen no discernable difference in my life between being a holder of the Aaronic Priesthood and being baptized

What difference where you expecting?

What is your idea of the purpose of the Aaronic Priesthood?

Have you used the priesthood?

If I could, I would simply be released of the Aaronic Priesthood.

Doesn’t really work that way.

Are you married? The priesthood shows its self the most in a family setting.

Background: I'm a member of the Church (adult convert) and hold the Aaronic Priesthood. Although I've kept the commandments and been faithful in every area of my life (I do suffer the occasional weakness and repent of them in a timely manner.), I have no desire to move on to the Melchizedek Priesthood. In fact, to be totally honest, I have seen no discernable difference in my life between being a holder of the Aaronic Priesthood and being baptized and confirmed. If I could, I would simply be released of the Aaronic Priesthood.

I know that this is probably offensive to most of the folks here. It's not meant to be. I'm simply being honest about all of this.

I'm planning on talking to my bishop about it but I'd like to get some feedback, ideas, etc. here. This is not easy for me.

Now don't be upset about what I say here......since you have the Aaronic Priesthood...what have you done with it??? Do you just sit on the sidelines or in the back and watch?? Do you try to get involved and do something...pass the Sacrament??? etc....its always easy to do nothing than it is to do something....you will certainly do more growing by getting involved...my opinion...

I am, above all, sadden to hear that.

I suspect that you have not taken the time to study the scriptures. You obviously have not grasped the reach of the priesthood and the power there of. It seems like you are not seeking, rather waiting for something to happen. It could be a reflection of other things in your life. Hard to say.

You should consult with o your bishop

You need to read your scriptures and read the General Conference Priesthood talks. Then talk to your Bishop, not about giving up a priesthood, but asking for guidance in understanding the power of the Priesthood. I have seen miracles brought about through the Power of the Priesthood.

There's one important scripture scripture about holding to a form of Godliness but denying the power thereof. For me, it's talking about the power of the Priesthood.

Things that came to my mind while reading your post.

How long have you been a member?

How long have you had the Aaronic Priesthood?

What have you done to excersise your Priesthood since having it?

Do you fully understand what the Priesthood is and its purpose?

Are you reading the scriptures and attend Priesthood on a regular basis?

I would recommend thinking about the answers to these questions and then ask to speak to the Ward Bishop!

• 1 month later...

I'm a firm believer of listening to one's intuition. If you have doubts or feel estranged about anything, then simply walk away. If you would prefer to simply attend your church's services but do not wish to carry an authority there, then listen to your heart.

Many years ago when I was a small child to be baptized, I had a strong feeling to avoid an official baptism, but I went ahead anyway, and ended up with two lungfuls of water. My father had been a Lutheran pastor and was in charge of it, and said he had never seen anything like it in all the years he was directing them.

Sometimes we need to listen to our ourselves and avoid falling under opinions which may block us from being able to hear our own inner voice.

I am not a Mormon, but a friend of mine is a Stake President, and he told me, that he has always felt that what really counts in the afterlife is not our outer life adherence (15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.), but how much light we are able to bring into the world, and how unified with God we have become.

I feel the same way on the matter, and that first and foremost, Jesus's commandment here is of primary importance in any consideration:

Matthew 22:35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,

36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

If you feel that there is something in particular which will bring you closer to God, then you must do that, and if you find something distancing you from God, then you should remove it.

I'm guessing you were ordained the the Aaronic Priesthood within two weeks after your baptism, since that is pretty much the norm. If that's true, it's not surprising that you haven't really seen a difference between baptism/confirmation and Priesthood holding. They've pretty much co-existed the entire time.

It's also helpful to know that the Priesthood is not for you. Yes, it can bless your life, and when you live worthily of it you can enjoy the Spirit more fully at times, but it's not for you. It is given to you so that you can bless others with it. You have greater opportunities for blessing lives with the Melchizedek Priesthood than with the Aaronic.

That said, the Aaronic Priesthood is a preparatory priesthood, and if you don't feel prepared to received the Melchizedek Priesthood yet, you should definitely share that concern with your bishop.

In principle it's always better to not make a covenant you cannot/will not keep.

That said, the scriptures set up a Catch 22 where the priesthood is concerned; not being ordained--ultimately--is not going to give one a free pass:

D&C 84:42

And wo unto all those who come not unto this priesthood which ye have received, which I now confirm upon you who are present this day, by mine own voice out of the heavens; and even I have given the heavenly hosts and mine angels charge concerning you.

I don't think there's anything wrong with putting off ordination to the Melchizedek Priesthood until one understands the significance thereof. But if we ultimately fail to receive the priesthood; that's a failure for which we will also be accountable.

I apologize for not getting back sooner. I've been extremely busy with work.

I would like to thank everyone who replied to my original post. I picked up something useful from every reply and, for that, I am truly grateful.

To Pastor Bob - a very BIG thank you for your reply - one that I found particularly helpful.

I have shared my concerns with my bishop and the matter has been resolved in a very personal and reasonable manner without any animosity and everyone is satisfied with the outcome.

Again, my thanks to all who responded.

Galt