The Miracle of Forgiveness

Jmidgley

Ok so who has read this book. I have had it lying around for many many years. I recently pulled it out in my attempt to do some soul searching. WOW! You know I read this book maybe 10-12 years ago but didnt even remember until I pulled it out again. I found some old pics of my wife and I. I found an old letter that I had written. I found a copy of my patriachal blessing there. As I read through the book, not only did I notice alot of underlined/marked areas, but I read so many things that I have tried to live much of my life by in the past several years. I started remembering some of the stuff from before. Now I have not read a book in at least as long as it has been since I probably read this one. It only took me but a couple days to read cause the words were so intense. The things President Kimball talks about are piercing to the soul. As I read this book much understanding, comfort, as well as anguish came to me. I am eager to do so much more reading. I have only read the Book of Mormon once and I am sure it was around the time I read this book as well. It was while I was stationed in korea and I needed the comfort. How blessed are we to have such an amazing piece of literature to help bring us back home. I have heard by some and read by others online how "inapropriate" some of President Kimballs words are in this book. It almost seems to some that the book is taboo. The straight forward black and white no noncense God inspired words in this book are beyond great, awsome, wonderful, etc. I think of this book more in terms of inspiration, love, hope, peace, kindness, and a great understanding with no room for misinterpritation, or justification of the atonement and the sacrifice made by our Brother Jesus Christ. I assume that many of you have read the book. Some might say it is a book only referenced by bishops if you have commited a great sin. I beg to differ, these words are meant for all of us great sins, or small. I would urge that you pick it up if you havent read it recently and read it again or for the first time. Thanks for listening again to my thoughts as I go on my personal journey to lead my family to eternal glory. Without the words of the scriptures, and the prophets I would truly be lost.

Guest missingsomething

I totally agree with you. I personally believe anyone that is truly ready to go through the repentence process does not find offense with this book. My mom always told me that sometimes the "truth hurts".

J- really enjoying reading your forums. Thanks so much for joining us.

It is mentioned in the book that as natural man we tend to justify our cause. It also says the sins of yesterday are the same as the sins of today it is just that each differnt generation gives those sins a different name. It also says that the way God handled those sins both in the Bible and the Book of Mormon he will handle no differently today. My point being is I think in these statements and some of the more blunt ones made is that we are to understand that from small to big sins the repentance process has never changed and never will cause God does not expect anything different from one person to the next. I think that if we humble ourselves we can read this book and take it to heart. I have found for myself in my struggles that "justification" is such an easy umbrella to fall under and until we find a way out of it we will more than likely have a problem with the steps to forgiveness, i.e. "The Miracle of Forgiveness".

Edited by Jmidgley