Colored Eggs.....

TheyCallMeMom

Guest missingsomething

Hmmm never thought of that.

So do you know of a reason why they were colored? Are you looking for symbolic or historical? I would think maybe they started coloring the eggs so that they could easily been seen?

Somewhere I have an awesome easter cookie recipe that is about the resurrection - it was pretty cool but its been lost for awhile.

I've done some studies in mythology, pagan religions and the wheel or circle of the year.

I can't remember right off the top of my head.

But every color has a special meaning and color vibration.

For instance, Blue is a healing color.

Here we go:

Red - courage and sacrifice

Orange - balance, harmony

Yellow - intellect, spirituality

Green - honor, safety, love

Blue - healing, truth, serenity and harmony

Purple or Violet - royalty and nobility

I can offer you an Easter Egg story though.

One year, it snowed on Easter.

I was an older teen by then, so it was my job that year to hide the eggs.

Mother decided that since it had snowed that it would be better not to dye the Easter Eggs.

LOL!

So, I hid plain boiled Easter eggs in a yard full of snow.

it was so funny!

Can you imagine how hard it really is to find white eggs in snow?

Needless to say, they never did find all the Easter eggs that year till after the snow melted and the dogs had found them.

Edited by GingerGolden

Oh and this had made me remember some of a child's song from long ago. Not sure what anyone here may think of it, but here it is.

When I was just a little child no higher than your knee, my mother bought a box of crayons just for me.

I picked them up.

I opened them up.

And I looked deep down inside.

And the colors they reminded me of Jesus when he died.

Red is for the color of the blood that he shed.

Blue is for the royalty indeed him, did do well.

Something,

something,

Brown is for the color of crown of thorns they laid upon his head.

And yellow is for the Christians who were afraid to tell.

Afraid to tell of the Savior, who died for you and me, and he's coming back again someday, again for you and me.

Sorry, it's been a long long time and I just can't remember the words between the blue and the yellow. It's a song we use to sing while riding the VBS bus.

Edited by GingerGolden

I hadn't ever given symbolism of colored easter eggs a moment's thought. I just thought that kids like brightly colored stuff, and that was the only reason.

I'd love to hear if there's a real story there...

Here's a couple of links that may be safe enough to place here without being chewed up to badly by anyone here I hope.

Easter Eggs: Pagan or Not?

Easter, a Christian festival, embodies many pre-Christian traditions.

Sweet! So, Easter eggs take Persian Zoroastrian spring celebrations, together with Pagan fertility symbols, confusion about plovers taking up residence in rabbit forms, and brings them together in loving embrace as a foil wrapped chocolate egg-laying bunny.

I figure I'll keep doing what I've always been doing with my kids, and keep their religious instruction far, far away from the saturday morning egg hunt. (We're having two this year, one at home, and one at the local Burger King during lunch. The King himself will be there.)

My kids have always been great at understanding the stuff we do on holidays we do for the heck of it, and the real reason we celebrate the holiday in the first place.

LM

(The Easter Plover)

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon