Alpha & Omega

mikbone

Anyone got some insight as to what this title actually denotes?

Alpha seems pretty straight forward, its the Omega that eludes me.

Matt. 19: 30 But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.

First / Last also seems to have a deeper meaning that I'm not getting.

The term alpha and omega means the beginning and end. Alpha is the first letter of the greek alphabet and Omega is the last letter of the greek alphabet. It would be similiar as the saying; "Everything from A to Z." In scripture I have always taken it to me that God is the beginning of the world and He will be its ending... I don't know if this is any help but I tried.

I think that there is a bit more in the title Alpha and Omega than just the beginning and end. And thanks Justice for pointing out that it is another way of expressing the concept of Eternity.

I think that there is a deeper meaning in the title specifically with reference to First and Last not Beginning and End. Although Alpha and Omega do obviously refer to a beginning and end.

For example:

Alpha - Could be another way of refering to his Firstborn status

Omega - 1 Corinthians 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. Omega could be refering to Christ as the Last Adam.

Isiah 44:6 Thus saith the Lord the King of Israel, and his redeemer the Lord of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

I have also wondered if there is a correlation between Alpha and Omega and verses like Matt. 19: 30 But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.

One of the Hebrew literary tools that exist is "Notaricon." It is sometimes used to form, or understand words, the letters in a word work as an acronym.

The word in Hebrew for truth is אמת (Reading from right to left) which is known as “emet .” “Emet“ is written with three letters, the first א (Aleph), and middle מ (Mem) , and last ת (Tav) in the Hebrew alphabetical order. The Rabbinical tradition is that these letters refer to the concept of past, present, and future. In other words, the word “truth” is made up of the letters placed at the beginning of the Hebrew alphabet, the middle of the alphabet, and the end of the alphabet. The placement of the letters in the alphabet represents the letters' meanings of past, present and future, which aligns nicely with Doctrine and Covenants 93:24 And truth is knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come. Copied from MormonMysticism.com: Notaricon - Emet - Truth

Anyone got some insight as to what this title actually denotes?

Alpha seems pretty straight forward, its the Omega that eludes me.

Matt. 19: 30 But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.

First / Last also seems to have a deeper meaning that I'm not getting.

The title has to do with covenants (as do most such symbols and references in scripture) In particular this has to do with the commitment of G-d to covenants from the beginning to the end. A good example of how this is used is Isaiah 46:10.

All things are known, understood and under the control of G-d from the beginning to the end. We can trust that G-d is the master of the covenant. It is also interesting to note that according to that covenant that G-d will make known all things to the children of the covenant. This is most important for those that join various religions thinking that they are justified before G-d. There is no justification in ignorance – thus the warning that not all believers (those that claim to believe in G-d by his name – doing things in his name).

Thus anyone called to G-d’s service must be called of G-d by prophesy (through the authority of a prophet).

The Traveler